It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: White conservative males stockpile guns because they are scared and feel inferior.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Do you understand that acknowledging reality (burglary, home invasion, assault, etc.) and being minimally prepared just in case is not synonymous with fear?

Why has practicing one's right in an effort to be prepared against a tangible possibility become synonymous with "fear" in some people?

Do you wear a seatbelt only because you're afraid that every time that you travel in a vehicle, you will die if you don't? Do you wear sunblock only because you're afraid that skin cancer is a certainty? Do you lock your doors to your home at night because you are just certain that you're going to get broken into each and every night if you do not?

Point being, doing simple things that are precautionary and simple because bad things could happen is not a display of fear for the average person. The same thing goes for the average gun owner--just because the majority of handgun owners purchase them for protection against another human being does not mean that they wake up in fear every morning and can't shake that fear until they go to bed (and then probably have nightmares about being attacked).

And honestly, if you had read the study, you'd understand the breakdown of the "why" behind many gun-owners' motivations of ownership. You don't quite have it figured out.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: soundguy
Must have hit a little too close to home eh?

Yeah, I suppose I could have posted something really meaty like how we are all being controlled by grey aliens, lmao.
a reply to: YouSir

Ummm...all you accomplish is your own insignificance...

You only ensure that whenever people see your screenname...they just cruise on by your screed...without having read a single line of your childish banter...

Thank you for educating me on what/who not to read on this site...realize also that from this moment hence...your scribblings will forever remain unread by me...no harm no foul...

Have a nice...quiet life...soundguy...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: soundguy

I read that article before I saw your post. It's not science, just some racist troll that happens to have a degree.

The reason guns get stockpiled is because of fear of regulations or bans.

White people are not the only ones that buy guns. They do tend to buy legal guns though, not black market guns.
One look at gun crime statistics shows that other races buy plenty of guns also.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I don't know about other white conservative males, but I stockpile guns because I just like different guns.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

This is why Congress doesn't want to fund gun safety research.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

It's put *me* in a mind to carry a gun. That and other various and sundry things that have happened, including some rich boy who decided my getting out of the car to bring a package into fedex meant he could pull in NEXT TO ME, While I am still out of the car, butt facing the spot he's trying to wedge his BMW into! I had less than a foot to rescue myself in. With sciatica/ random falling down, potential for a seizure if my body decides "hey, time to blank out", and this numbnut trying to mow me down.

I rarely leave the house any more... I don't feel safe, at all.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The same thing goes for the average gun owner--just because the majority of handgun owners purchase them for protection against another human being does not mean that they wake up in fear every morning and can't shake that fear until they go to bed (and then probably have nightmares about being attacked).

I do. I am unarmed (for now), and have had enough close calls to set my last nerve to the point you could grab a bow and play "The devil went down to Georgia" on it. I don't sleep well. I DREAD going out any more, for a variety of reasons, some of which are the fact people seem to like to try to kill pedestrians around here.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
It also comes at no surprise that men would like to be able to protect their families. Real men don't leave that responsibility to a promise that someone else with a gun and badge will show up and be there when they need them. Real men prepare for everything when it comes to protecting their families.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

Of course this comes as no surprise to anyone who can think for themselves (obviously this excludes conservatives).

The article also states that they are also the ones most likely to kill themselves by gun. Again this comes as no surprise. When they discover that a stock pile of guns doesn’t actually add 3” inches to their penis. Once they realize they will never measure up, what is the logical conclusion?

The study also concludes that we shouldn’t mock the delicate snowflakes, but I’m of the mind to let natural selection run its course. These metal defectives need to be called out for what they are and thier fetish should never be seen as main stream by sane Americans.

blogs.scientificamerican.com...

How is this not a political trolling thread with so many political insults included in the OP (see the items I bolded above)? If not an obviously political trolling thread (which is against the T&C's I may add) then it at least ranks as a personal rant and deserves to be in that forum.

Too true. I love how the gun control advocates will eat this childish drivel up, despite not containing even a single quote from the actual study. I can't access the study myself. What are the odds that the author here simply misrepresented the studies, like the author of another blog making these same type of claims which I debunked by actually quoting the studies he misrepresented?

And these people actually believe they're intellectuals.
edit on 14 3 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
It also comes at no surprise that men would like to be able to protect their families. Real men don't leave that responsibility to a promise that someone else with a gun and badge will show up and be there when they need them. Real men prepare for everything when it comes to protecting their families.

Well, you know, there's a lot of marvel movies coming out lately. Some people probably think they can just activate their superpowers and fight off a home invasion, and they're so confident in that fairy tale they'll bet their family's lives on it.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Let's break down the study, shall we?
    - There were only 3,949 people who participated
      - Of note, all participants chosen to be on select panels at Growth For Knowledge (the research company that conducted the study) are accumulate points that can be redeemed for cash and other things of value

- The findings were that 54.7-million U.S. residents over 18-years-old own guns
      - Average gun ownership is 4.8 guns per individual; median ownership is 2 guns per individual

- There are an estimated 265-million guns owned in the United States (per the 2012 survey)

- 14% of gun owners (3% of the U.S. population) own 50% of all guns in the United States
      - 8% of gun owners own more than 10 guns

- 63% of gun owners own firearms primarily for self protection against other individuals
      - 76% of handgun owners' primary reason for owning a gun is for self protection

- Other reasons specified for owning firearms:
      - 40% for hunting
      - 34% for collecting
      - 28% for sporting use
      - 20% for protection against animals
      - 40% included 'some other reason,' such as "gift or inheritance or the right to have them"

- Variances in reasons for ownership by type(s) of firearms owned:
      - "Almost 80%" of handgun-only owners cite "protection against strangers" (PAS) as a primary reason for ownership (PRFO)
      - 72% of handgun-and-rifle owners cite PAS as a PRFO
      - 31% of long-gun-only owners cite PAS as a PRFO

- 2% of handgun-only owners cite hunting as a PRFO
      - 55% of handgun-and-rifle owners cite hunting as a PRFO
      - 57% of long-gun-only owners cite hunting as a PRFO

- Handgun-only owners "are more likely to be female, nonwhite, and living in urban areas, and are less likely to have grown up in a house with a gun"

The Actual Study

So, I ask you--where does it say anything about being afraid, or feeling inferior, or needing an extension of their manhood?

Oh, wait, that's just your scared, ignorant interpretation that is not supported by the data--a way to belittle others so that you feel less inferior and now have a digital extension of your manhood over the internet. I see. (which is a regurgitated conclusion of the hack of a writer in the link in your OP who has the resume of a millennial SJW)

And while your little cute linked story talks about white men, if you'd actually look at the study, you'll note that there are many, many pieces of data that only contradict your claim, but defecate all over it. But yet, here you are, garnering stars and flags from some of the most ignorant people on this site, because like you, I'm willing to bet that they didn't even click the link to the actual article, or even the link to the study contained within the article.

But, you know, what place does actual data have in a logical discussion? Silly me.

Usually when you get into the actual study, it doesn't say what these clowns think it does. They went into reading it with a preconceived notion and only absorbed the parts that confirmed their already-formed opinion. This is the exact opposite of science.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat
The same thing goes for the average gun owner--just because the majority of handgun owners purchase them for protection against another human being does not mean that they wake up in fear every morning and can't shake that fear until they go to bed (and then probably have nightmares about being attacked).

I do. I am unarmed (for now), and have had enough close calls to set my last nerve to the point you could grab a bow and play "The devil went down to Georgia" on it. I don't sleep well. I DREAD going out any more, for a variety of reasons, some of which are the fact people seem to like to try to kill pedestrians around here.

Sounds like you need to move bud.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I will admit that most of the males I have known in my life have been full of a lot of fear.
I don't think it's a white/other race thing though.

I think craigs father said it best.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Of course this comes as no surprise to anyone who can think for themselves (obviously this excludes conservatives).

The article also states that they are also the ones most likely to kill themselves by gun. Again this comes as no surprise. When they discover that a stock pile of guns doesn’t actually add 3” inches to their penis. Once they realize they will never measure up, what is the logical conclusion?

The study also concludes that we shouldn’t mock the delicate snowflakes, but I’m of the mind to let natural selection run its course. These metal defectives need to be called out for what they are and thier fetish should never be seen as main stream by sane Americans.

blogs.scientificamerican.com...

We can't think for ourselves, yet you post a blog... LOL!

Science Says Liberals, not Conservatives, are Psychotic

Turns out liberals are the real authoritarians.

A political-science journal that published an oft-cited study claiming conservatives were more likely to show traits associated with “psychoticism” now says it got it wrong. Very wrong.

The American Journal of Political Science published a correction this year saying that the 2012 paper has “an error” — and that liberal political beliefs, not conservative ones, are actually linked to psychoticism.

“The interpretation of the coding of the political attitude items in the descriptive and preliminary analyses portion of the manuscript was exactly reversed,” the journal said in the startling correction.

“The descriptive analyses report that those higher in Eysenck’s psychoticism are more conservative, but they are actually more liberal; and where the original manuscript reports those higher in neuroticism and social desirability are more liberal, they are, in fact, more conservative.”

In the paper, psychoticism is associated with traits such as tough-mindedness, risk-taking, sensation-seeking, impulsivity and authoritarianism.

Hey look, mine is backed up by science... Yours is a blog by some salty nobody.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
Well why do people stockpile so many guns if the core motivation isn't fear?

I keep reading on ATS how gun folks have all their guns because they're afraid the government is going to come for them. Or they're afraid society is going to break down. Or they're afraid armed burglers are going to attack them. Or they're afraid the UN is going to invade. Or they're afraid an asteroid will hit. Or they're afraid of....

This isn't Scotland. Lots of people "stockpile" guns because collecting is a hobby to them.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Somebody needs to present this study to the Pentagon. Maybe they will see the light, stop being such racist cowards, and get rid of all the weapons they have stockpiled.

Just think: the military could sell all their weapons to Iran, North Korea, or whoever else will pay fair market value. We could pay off our national debt, and our soldiers and sailors could courageously go into battle with bare knuckles. If they lose, well, at least they died not being racist.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thirty6BelowZero

Science Says Liberals, not Conservatives, are Psychotic

Turns out liberals are the real authoritarians.

A political-science journal that published an oft-cited study claiming conservatives were more likely to show traits associated with “psychoticism” now says it got it wrong. Very wrong.

The American Journal of Political Science published a correction this year saying that the 2012 paper has “an error” — and that liberal political beliefs, not conservative ones, are actually linked to psychoticism.

“The interpretation of the coding of the political attitude items in the descriptive and preliminary analyses portion of the manuscript was exactly reversed,” the journal said in the startling correction.

“The descriptive analyses report that those higher in Eysenck’s psychoticism are more conservative, but they are actually more liberal; and where the original manuscript reports those higher in neuroticism and social desirability are more liberal, they are, in fact, more conservative.”

In the paper, psychoticism is associated with traits such as tough-mindedness, risk-taking, sensation-seeking, impulsivity and authoritarianism.

Hey look, mine is backed up by science... Yours is a blog by some salty nobody.

Psychotics obsessed with the penises of white conservatives. Well, well...if we can trust these reports--apart from the wonky & spun partisan interpretations--then that's pretty freaky. And explains a lot. This reply is a partisan-spun interpretation. See how that works?

edit on 14-3-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I suppose people who stock-pile food and supplies ahead of a hurricane, feel inferior?

edit on 3/14/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Imsoglad I saw this post! I really needed a bath tonight, so I guess I'll just use all of your salty tears to fill up my tub.

You want Trump to win in 2020? Because people like you are the reason he will win again in 2020.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

They do seem to be preoccupied with the white man's genitals, ya? Exactly who is fixated and compensating here?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join