It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela Effect - Jim Bowen?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I can't quite believe I am making this thread as I am generally skeptical about the Mandela affect BUT I could have sworn Jim Bowen died years ago!!! Apparently he died today, I m curious to know whether anyone else familiar with Jim Bowen also shares this 'mistaken memory'? I even seem to remember that his death was cancer related.

Jim Bowen has died age 80. The TV presenter was a stand-up comedian and TV presenter, best known as the long-time host of the ITV game show Bullseye. His wife confirmed the news to BBC Radio Lancashire. Bowen was his stage name; he was born Peter Williams in 1937 in Cheshire, and he became a household name when he began presenting Bullseye in 1981. The show ran for 14 years until 1995. Despite being all about the darts, Bullseye is best remembered for its catchy theme tune, Bowen’s ever-present catchphrases and the consistent crapness of its prizes – with contestants getting to throw darts to win a random selection of tea sets and garden furniture before gambling it all to bag themselves a speedboat Read more: Jim Bowen Dead

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Elvis_Is_Dead

Gutted. Was only wathching this the other night after back to back Bullseye for a few hours.

RIP Jim, a Legend .

Watch "Jim Bowen Talks about an unaired Bullseye episode." on YouTube
youtu.be...

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

Its very sad to lose him (again???) - They don't make TV like they used too, did anyone ever actually win a speed boat??

Thanks for your video link, I will check it out now.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Look at what you could have won.

Watch that video, its hilarious but probably only for our UK based ATS Members.

"When do I get to throw some f $#€£ng darts?"

Priceless.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cymru

Look at what you could have won.

Watch that video, its hilarious but probably only for our UK based ATS Members.

"When do I get to throw some f $#€£ng darts?"

Priceless.

Hahaha minus the slightly dated gay jokes, a very funny video!!

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Elvis_Is_Dead
a reply to: Cymru

Its very sad to lose him (again???) - They don't make TV like they used too, did anyone ever actually win a speed boat??

Thanks for your video link, I will check it out now.

Those were the days of regional TV programming. Every region of the UK had their own TV studios and they either made their own programming or bought it on from abroad. They would get an overall budget of so much money plus requirements of how much news, comedy, entertainment, action movies, drama they had to provide. Everything else was the choice of the studio.

This must be the two Irishmen:

Jimmy Hill won the speedboat. From the Youtube video

"Spartanm333 (3 months ago)
I worked at Yorkshire TV. The reason for the speedboats is that the shows buyer was an Arthur Daily type ( one for you two for me) and did a deal on old stock with a boat builder - they had a dozen of the bloody things to try and get rid of. Probably six of then still in the Granada back lot."

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elvis_Is_Dead
I could have sworn

I think that is a phrase I use when trying to pretend I have not forgoten something, I could have sworn I locked the door, turned the oven off or whatever its a phrase I use when not quite 100%

As for the great Jim Bowen, when I heard the news I had never heard of him passing prior than today, as a fan of bullseye we have often used Jims style of presenting when joking with mates.

TL
R, as a "fan" of Jim Bowen i dont believe he has died before.

RIP Jim Bowen
edit on 14-3-2018 by UpIsNowDown because: typo

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

No. Jim Bowen was still active doing radio interviews and appearing on TV programmes during 2017.

Interview with newspaper in 2016.

Daily Express News article link

August 2017 radio interview.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Yeah totally know where you are coming from here. I thought exactly the same thing, Jim died years ago, indeed I am still convinced

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   
you know when i saw the news that he had died my first thought was ''didnt he die not long ago''.
its really strange im sure i saw he had died around 2016ish

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:16 AM
link   

When I see be the news, I was like wtf I’m 100% sure he died years ago.
Still can’t believe it. Weird isn’t it

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

If the Irish moved to Sheffield

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   

I m curious to know whether anyone else familiar with Jim Bowen also shares this 'mistaken memory'?

You just nailed it...mistaken memory. It's not Mandela Effect then, is it?

Most of our memories are 'mistaken' inasmuch as it didn't really happen quite like that.

Our fondest memories of childhood are mostly mythology. The brain registers some facts and makes the rest up.

For the record, I 'remembered' Frank Sinatra dying years before he did. But obviously I was wrong.

No need to invoke woo to explain it.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Ahhhh I am glad I am not alone....It could of course just be my brain getting older or mistaking the great Jim B for another 80's stalwart, but I do have a fairly strong memory of him dying from cancer a number of years ago followed by a number of Bullseye re-runs. Perhaps I am confusing it with Jims first stroke which apparently took place 5 years ago: Jim Bowen

This would be around the time that I thought he had gone to the Bully in the sky the first time around.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I thought he had died too but I was getting confused wth the actor Mike Reid .. they kinda both look similar

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The same thing happened to me with Macauley Culkin. I swore he died several years ago [argument with the wife], then I discovered recently that the news was in fact an Internet hoax in 2014.

You cannot believe your ears these days, never mind your eyes.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: fromtheskydown
The same thing happened to me with Macauley Culkin. I swore he died several years ago [argument with the wife], then I discovered recently that the news was in fact an Internet hoax in 2014.

You cannot believe your ears these days, never mind your eyes.

^^ Exactly! Minor hoaxes on the internet are the cause of the so called Mandela Effect, aka memories of disinformation (also known as human memory sucks, bad spellings, poor geography, poor biology etc etc).

A small example of the 'memories of disinformation' I wrote above....

new topics

top topics

join