It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump wants a "Space Force"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

With a fighter jet positioned behind him, President Trump suggested on Tuesday that the United States create another military branch.

“Space is a war-fighting domain just like the land, air, and sea,” Trump said, addressing an audience of Marines at the Miramar Marine Corps Air Station in San Diego, California. “We may even have a space force—develop another one—space force. We have the Air Force, we’ll have the space force. We have the Army, the Navy.”

Source Article

According to the article, this is not exactly a new idea, being first suggested in 2000 by a reform committee headed by Donald Rumsfeld.

It was at that time shelved after the events of 9/11, but last year in July the House of Representatives passed legislation to direct the Defence Department to create a new "space corps" within the Air Force (Source) which met with oppsition from the Pentagon, who allegedly felt that the structure of the US armed forces were already complex enough.

But now, it would seem, the current president is supporting the idea, or at least seriously considering it.

The president said the idea came to him recently. “I was saying it the other day—’cause we’re doing a tremendous amount of work in space—I said, maybe we need a new force. We’ll call it the space force,” he said. “And I was not really serious. And then I said, what a great idea. Maybe we’ll have to do that. That could happen. That could be the big breaking story.”

Same Source Article

I can only imagine the turf wars that are being secretly waged already, not to mention the turf war to come if the new branch is created.

And, I must admit, I was not aware of the "tremendous amounts of work" that is being done by the US military in Space.

Exciting news, indeed.

What will it be called, I wonder? US Space Core? US Space Navy? US Space Forces?

Cheers,

BT

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Thread already posted:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Ah - didn't catch that.

Mods, please close this thread...

Sorry about that.

BT

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: beetee

Except we have treaties with Russia and everyone else not to put weapons up in space..

Obviously, as it orbited it would cross above the sovereign land of other countries.

I don’t expect trump to know that because he is a baffoon. However I thought most normal people did know that.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

We have a "Strategic Space Command" under the US Airforce. There is no law barring conventional weapons in space, ONLY weapons of mass destruction.

edit on 14-3-2018 by WarPig1939 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
Obviously, as it orbited it would cross above the sovereign land of other countries.

This didn't curtail U-2 or SR-71 overflights during the Cold War.

I don’t expect trump to know that because he is a baffoon. However I thought most normal people did know that.

Buffoon.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I'll respond to your post, although I have asked mods to close this thread as it is a duplicate (see above).

The current treaty on weapons in space only limits the placement of "Weapons of Mass Destruction" if you are referring to the Outer Space Treaty of 1967. As far as I know there is no treaty governing the placement of conventional weapons.

So you can have military assets that are not classed as "Weapons of Mass Destruction" in space without being in breach of the Treaty.

Cheers,

ETA: Wikipedia Article on Outer Space Treaty

BT
edit on 14-3-2018 by beetee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Space marines or Moon rangers? Who’re the better fighting force?

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

Masonic Reptoids due to the breeding program.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarPig1939
Thread already posted:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

top topics

join