It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If your sick, take a sick leave. DON'T COME TO OFFICE.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Well, he is Australian, and that's right near Germany.

So he will have a nice car.

Had a nice car.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Have you left your house well sick for any reason? How many did you infect?
maybe someone with less symptoms at work gave it to him how do you know he deserves your ire and to be fired.
You seek to take take his lively hood over a flu,ridiculous.

My co-worker just walked in and said he has the flu perhaps I should see HR /s
a reply to: Cabin

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I hear you. I really do.

People should be free to come to work only when they are physically fit to do so, and when their presence does not represent a risk to others through infection. Medically, biologically, it would be advantageous to everyone, to all concerned, employees, employers and customers alike. And I understand that your company operates a policy with regard to sickness, that appears genuinely focused toward ensuring employees are free to take a day to deal with a cold or flu, but there is one thing I cannot understand.

The thing I cannot understand, is how it can be that you can live in the same world the rest of us do, but not know what the rest of us know, see what the rest of us see. You see a person who came into work despite the fact that their company operates a sensible sickness policy, and that is all you see. Perhaps it is because you are in fever yourself now, and feeling so ill has rather understandably damaged your objectivity? But there is way more to the picture than what your company offers those who are ill. For starters, it may well be the case that a day or two off sick will not lose a person working for your firm their job, but it may well effect their opportunities for advancement in their career, and depending on what you do for a living, theres a chance that their career pathway might have been made very important to them, by their circumstances, by their upbringing, by the society around them, by their responsibilities.

Your company offering sick employees a relaxed attitude toward sick leave is great, its just wonderful in fact. But someone who has ever held a job elsewhere, is not necessarily going to be thinking about that one little piece of internal policy, when they consider whether to go to work that day or not. No, they will be thinking instead about the last place they worked, where they saw their co-worker start their fight against cancer, only to be frozen out and kicked to the kerb by a callous supervisor or manager. They will be thinking instead, about that time that some other guy on a different floor was going for a promotion, a promotion he needed in order to support his growing family, his pregnant wife, a promotion he did not get, because between him and another worker, he had the more time off. Perhaps they were thinking instead of their dead father, lecturing them about how he was shot twice in Korea and never took a day off work in the decades between his return from war, and his eventual retirement at the age of seventy, despite the agony of unrecovered bullet fragments, aggravating the connective tissues between his muscles and his bones.

The company for which you work may well be moving forward (although its unlikely that there are NO consequences for a person taking time off. Someone always wants to stop a working person getting their due somehow, even if it isn't as drastic as taking their job away from them), but the society of which you are a part puts unreasonable pressure upon working people, to keep going, every day, to not care how abused they are, not to mind how unjust their circumstance, to simply keep going until they die from it. From over zealous parents trying to instill a respect for hard work, but just creating automatons instead, to the prior work history of working people, to the propaganda which lies to the public, telling them that if they work hard, they get what they need, and if they don't get what they need, they did not work hard enough, long enough hours, at a complicated enough task, everything about the rest of the society you are a part of, tells a working person to keep doing it, even if it kills them.

I can absolutely understand your aggravation at your current predicament, and I sympathise entirely with it. No one likes to be sick with a fever, to have the shakes, to feel less than in control of their bodily functions. But, there is a great deal more to the decision that your co-worker made to come into work, than even THEY likely realise, and rushing to judgement of them in the face of it seems a little harsh, if you ask me.

I hope that whatever nasty you have been infected with, leaves your body with all due haste, and without further, excessive discomfort on your part. Keep up your fluid intake.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Unfortunately there are plenty of places (including my place of work) that employ a rather ridiculous sickness policy. In my workplace, if you are sick more than a set number of days over a rolling 12 month period you will be disciplined and could potentially be fired. So, as an example, one of my colleagues had a bad accident recently that has resulted in her requiring surgery and an enforced period of sickness that is likely to run into months rather than weeks. Upon her return, should she catch cold, flu, vomiting bug, food poisoning, fall and damage the area she has had surgery on, be hit by a car etc she WILL be disciplined and could face losing her job.

So, with that in mind, do you think she'll take the day off if she has a bad cold? Or will she think "to hell with the health of my colleagues, I can't afford to lose my job" and come in anyway?

Hint: this winter we have had incredibly high levels of illness in the staff team, productivity has clearly been down and, when inevitably folks have HAD to go off they have been off longer and with more serious illnesses. There was barely a single shift went by without me working alongside someone who was a) clearly unfit for work and b) evidently contagious.

Wonderful stuff

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cabin
I don''t usually rant (maybe now because of fever) , but currently, I''m seriously pissed off.

The reason, why : last week some idiot from my work decided to come to work, while being clearly ill and... he managed to infect nearly half the department, including myself. To be honest, personally, I would fire that guy.... Even if he wanted to work so much (even despite illness), the office hours are flexible and sick leave is paid. He could easily have stayed home, take a sick leave and he really wanted he could have worked on his project at the same time but no... he just had to come.

To be honest, I truly do not understand why people are willing to sacrifice their health for their workplace. Money can not buy back health. I know people, who work physical jobs, who are not able to work without taking painkillers. They are just killing their body. Sooner or later, the effects will come out and I could not even imagine the pain they have to go through, when they get old, but well, that is another story.

This case is about diseases that can infect others. I remember, when I was at school, the biology teacher (one of the most intelligent and interesting persons I have ever met) suggested students to stay home even with common cold, simply because there is possibility of infecting others or the cold getting worse. Well common cold might be okay to work with, but when one has high fever, they should seriously take a leave. It is incredibly selfish act of coming to office, knowing you might infect everybody else, causing health problems for others, while financial loss for the company.

Now, I have to reschedule whole next week, because deadline is coming, my training regimen is ruined (league matches are starting in couple of weeks). I was just planning on having simple weeks, everything was going according to my plans and now the short-term effects will be all over my life : work, social life, training.

AND ALL OF THIS, BECAUSE OF THAT IDIOT.

Just wanted to vent myself out.

Nope. Im sick...im on my way to work. I need a full pay cheque. I don't get sick days. Im sick because of someone at work. # you deal with it.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Don’t eat out at restaurants then- because they don’t really care if you’re sick (unless you call out saying you have explosive diarrhea).

I’ve worked more than one shift with the sniffles- and watched more people work with worse.

I have a friend that is a Nurse Practitioner who has to work when she is sick- how absurd is that?!

Don’t know about your employer, but many places don’t care and want you there unless you’re dying.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Just a guess- but it sounds like waiting tables. Truth is- I made $2.13 an hour before tips- at the end of my shift if I didn’t claim enough tips to equal minimum wage then I would get a check at the end of the week. Servers do get paid minimum wage- it’s just a loophole to try to keep employee cost down.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Joneselius

Some people simply need to work. Look at it from the other side.

People in Britain are living payday by payday. These people can't afford to take days off sick or to sit at home 'resting' their bodies. They injure themselves because companies allow them to. Profit over human life, the bane of the working man.

The guy who made you sick, it might not have been him (btw) didn't want to make you ill (at least I hope not) why are you so angry? This seems a little overblown if you ask me, it's like you'e raging because you've had to change one weeks worth of plans........ Adapt.

This guy would have been PAID, to stay home sick.....So there would have been zero financial consequence....The OP is right.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: DBCowboy

This is how you get zombies.

Is that a STD?

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

Yep, our director of nursing must still work even when sick. Sometimes she can do a lot by phone but more often it will require her to be face to face.
I worked my boss's job for the past month, she went out for surgery and unfortunately I am the only one in the company who can do her job.
I was sick the entire time, nearly. The payroll clerk who shares the office was diagnosed with bronchitis and felt the need to come every single morning to gather things to take home. Coughing the entire time LOL!
Anyway, boss is back and insisted that I take yesterday and today off. It makes sense as I have laryngitis now too. I am not feverish so I certainly could have went in. Blessings of being able to work remotely.
I've used almost all of my time until April when it renews.
They have a fairly decent policy though, 4 weeks vacation and 2 week personal that accrues.
I think it's a shame when folks who are generally sick can't afford to take off or have no leniency from their employers, makes no sense really to me.
edit on 14-3-2018 by TNMockingbird because: Math is hard, 240 hours equals 6 weeks

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Is that a STD?

You fooling around with zombies? Just an FYI, necrophilia is more of a disorder.

edit on 14-3-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
But the person was just trying to share what they have. He/she wanted to show everyone that it was a real illness. How generous to share something so personal.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
If only it were that simple in corporate America. Yes, if you are lucky enough to have sick leave at your job, and you are sick, stay home. For the other 80 percent of the workforce, the decision to call in sick is a "do I want to get paid and/or lose my job" decision. And God forbid, if your kid gets sick but you aren't!

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf
I'm glad I live in a country with at least $17 minimum wage, 6 sick days a year, and 2 weeks paid leave.

Thats 10 days sick leave a year... Also, at my work your sick leave hours keep accumulating over the years if you don't use them... So if you were smart about it, you'd go 4 straight years without taking any sick leave, then have yourself a very convenient mental breakdown and take 2 months off...

Anyway... who'd seriously waste one of their sick days if they were actually sick, thats crazy talk, it makes absolutely no sense!

Sick days a best saved for when a paid public holiday falls on a Tuesday or Thursday... then you can call in sick on the Monday or Friday and have yourself a 4 day holiday and only waste 1 sick day...
edit on 14-3-2018 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Considering how few sick days people typically get at most jobs and how easy it is to point out, maybe you should be laying blame in a different direction.

Most people that go to work sick do so because people need to work to pay the bills and feed themselves, and if they don't go to work they're out of a job.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

That is so true and a shame really.
I would like to think that employers would know their employees well enough to know who's 'faking it' and who's sincerely sick. If someone is sick then I would imagine their production levels dropped drastically so what would be the point of having them there, looking at it from the employer's perspective. It's much different then me sitting in my bed cranking out reports at my leisure.
I work with some folks (not directly anymore mind you) who's immune systems are already compromised and for the staff person to come in if contagious is just insensitive but I certainly understand why they would do it. Also, if it's their child who is sick, they could be bringing the germs from home with them. Some of them live less than paycheck to paycheck and rely on the check cashing places and car title loan joints to float them through. Also, if the employee isn't sick and it's their child, who are they going to get to watch that child while they're at work.
Often times day cares and schools won't let them attend even if it's just a slight fever.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I used to show up to work sick, I stopped doing so because it would escalate to being more sick. I have been deemed unreliable by my employer because I call in sick. Their is an expectation in certain large scale organizations when you are part of the "corporate" part of the world...that you should never be sick. You should work yourself half to death for your salary...work sick, work long hours, work when you sleep...

Not everyone can escape it...I stopped caring, may paycheck will come in tonight...others want the promotions(as do I, but not under the conditions mentioned above...)...What to do?

I for a short period of time purposefully showed up to work sick so they would think twice about the situation...didn't help. No one cared...people stayed away from me, but no one told me to go home..

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Only reason to skip work is projectile vomiting, because I typically don't like sharing my food.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth
Only reason to skip work is projectile vomiting, because I typically don't like sharing my food.

And on days when a new video game is released or a big sporting event

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joneselius

Some people simply need to work. Look at it from the other side.

People in Britain are living payday by payday. These people can't afford to take days off sick or to sit at home 'resting' their bodies. They injure themselves because companies allow them to. Profit over human life, the bane of the working man.

The guy who made you sick, it might not have been him (btw) didn't want to make you ill (at least I hope not) why are you so angry? This seems a little overblown if you ask me, it's like you'e raging because you've had to change one weeks worth of plans........ Adapt.

Some companies only pay you by the hour. Then interesting work is assigned to whoever has been off work the least. That knocks onto promotions.

Even if they don't stay at home, they could be taking public transport. I once made the mistake of not getting off a bus when the person behind me had this really awful hacking cough. That gave me an infection like something out of a sci-fi comic like Judge Dredd (Asylum). It's really hard to tell if someone behind you or has just come onto the bus is a plague carrier until they start coughing. These days I just run off the bus.

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join