It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hate Speech Free Speech or Censorship

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
You can learn just in conversing with UKers, the UK has forgotten what free speech is, why it matters, and what happens when you become censors.

Ukers is a board game or a prostitute.

If you are going to make inaccurate generalisations then please at least use the correct proper adjective.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Free speech is dangerous to people who have weak positions that can't stand up to logical scrutiny.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

You can learn just in conversing with UKers, the UK has forgotten what free speech is, why it matters, and what happens when you become censors.

If you are going to make inaccurate generalisations then please at least use the correct proper adjective.

I used it as a noun. UKers invented the language, and can’t even get the grammar right.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

I used it as a noun. UKers invented the language, and can’t even get the grammar right.

Isn't a noun either.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: toms54

I didn't mention Richard Spencer.. I mentioned Robert Spencer.. he's completely different.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: zGrimReapah
a reply to: toms54

I didn't mention Richard Spencer.. I mentioned Robert Spencer.. he's completely different.

I’m sure that fact is lost on some people.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Okay so my point is, right now they are classifying Right Wing Journalists as extremists willing to incite racial hatred so they are barring them entry into the UK on grounds that they might offend someone.

Are you not afraid when the next party comes in they'll target Left Wing Journalists using the same tool they're using now?

Theresa May might be in the conservative party but her politics seem to be center to center left.

Anyone not on her side of the spectrum is an extremist and she wants to silence you.

I'd understand if she held everybody to the same standard, but she's targeting a specific group, and I do not see how this doesn't bother people.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: zGrimReapah
Okay so my point is, right now they are classifying Right Wing Journalists as extremists willing to incite racial hatred so they are barring them entry into the UK on grounds that they might offend someone.

Are you not afraid when the next party comes in they'll target Left Wing Journalists using the same tool they're using now?

The concept of rules applying to them is foreign to some people. In light of that, this possibility doesn't even occur to them.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I guess I am weird, as long as someone is not actively pushing people to rape, murder, torture people... piss on it let them say what they want.

Don't like my country, that's fine... don't like my religion that's ok to, don't like my skin color couldn't give a flip.

If we cant have an actual free exchange of ideas society is offically stagnant, because once you take the idea of hate speech beyond easy to identify ideas (like I mentioned above) it slips into very subjective areas very quickly and if someone has to pause constantly and go Mmm will this offend anyone you are stifiling speech.

Also once people feel they cannot speak freely, free speech is dead we are just waiting to bury the body at that point.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

The UK wouldn’t let the two girls white women in, who thought Islam was an inferior religion.

There is nothing wrong with holding that view, UK law isn't saying you cannot have a negative view on any given group. It only becomes a problem when you start to articulate it in such a way as to deliberately incite racial hatred or your views lead to you discriminating against someone based on a personal identifying characteristic (i.e.. race, sexuality) that it becomes a crime.

There is nothing in UK law that says you cannot say you believe it is wrong that women form Islamic communities should not cover their heads. The problem is when you start petering those women with your views in such a way that makes them feel harassed or you discriminate against them in some way.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

The problem is identity politics has become the new black.

So if you challenge a political viewpoint people feel physically or mentally harassed because you do not conform to their world view.

I agree, you shouldn't pester or harass groups or individuals, you should debate theological or political views using platforms which allow counter-discussion

However, if you target a group and ignore them for too long they lash out like angry children (Darren Osborne)

Disagreeing with certain fundamentals of the doctrine of Islam is enough to label you a far right bigot with extremist views.

The thing is terms like Discrimination, Hate Speech and Far Right/Alt Right have far less impact when used to shut down any discussion.

And those that are actually committing violent acts in the name of Racism get pushed to the background because they're given the same label as non-violent protesters who seek activism through peaceful means.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Well I'm from the UK and I think this is wrong, wrong, wrong. They were refused entry because they "thought" their speech would incited trouble????? Do you not see the wrongness in that statement? Who decides what's wrong and what's right?
This is thought crime in existence and practice. They should have been allowed in and then, and only then, monitored and if they did incite violence arrest them and deport them.
I seriously think that the way European governments are handling the "immigration" problem they KNOW they are driving the man in the street to extreme political parties so they are trying to alienate these parties by lambasting and degrading them.
They are quite willing to have a "monster raving loony party" stand for election but a fascist party, no, no, no.
It's always "think of the Nazis" "what the Nazis did" etc. etc. "history will repeat it self".
I am not a fascist, but if the majority of British people want a fascist government (as the brexiters always spout) the people have spoken.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: zGrimReapah

Thanks for pointing that out. My mistake.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join