It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YouTube will add Wikipedia snippets to conspiracy videos

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

We can all just stop using youtube if we don't like it.

That is simply not true.

You can stop using Youtube and you'll make no difference at all.
Youtube apps come automatically on seemingly all of the new phones.

Youtube is a monopoly essentially in a lot of senses.

There is no way to beat it right now. It simply dominates and steamrolls.

We need legislation to govern their behavior.
If I, a citizen, have legislation governing every little aspect of how I live my life and communicate to others dictating what I can and cannot post online - than Youtube needs 10,000 pages of laws governing them on how they can't censor people's opinions they (at corporate HQ) disagree with.

Youtube is a public service now and although run privately, does not engender the benefits of complete unlimited power when it comes to censoring WE THE PEOPLE.

We need to Lobby for new laws, we could get them in place by 2022.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I'm just getting really tired of this whole false notion of "Corporations have unlimited freedom to do whatever they want because well - freedom!", meanwhile we citizens are tied up head to toe in red tape governing everything about everything.

Look at how brainwashed they got us!
We are demanding new laws heavily restricting or eliminating various Amendments of the Constitution yet at the same time demanding that mega corporate entities like Google, Facebook, etc, have the right to control the flow of information to suit their political BS and that it's OK to censor whoever because well Freedom!

Yall are insane.
You do make good slaves though, I admit.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
So YT thinks Wikipedia is a credible source? I recall we were absolutely BANNED from using wikipedia as any source in High School. The teachers would straight up laugh at you like "Okay, what's your next reference, SNOPES? hahahahahaha"

-Alee

The teachers lost that argument when Wikipedia started having extensive lists of credible sources on them. I actually took a class last semester where we were encouraged to use Wikipedia, not to quote from directly (because we couldn't properly cite who wrote any given sentence rather than credibility) but rather to reference all their sources.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Lol a year of fake news dissemination. Ahahaha that's the best quote right there. # seriously can we just cut the bull# and start just saying....you didn't consume the propaganda we wanted you to so now we're forcing it on you?? # this fake news # is so ridiculous. It's like the world just suddenly learned...holy #....you mean the things on the internet aren't always true????....geee golly gosh why I had noooooo idea..

Seriously why the # is it a big deal now if people believe idiotic crap? They're the same idiots that believe the national enquirer and other fake news that's been sold at every #ing checkout stand since I can remember. Yet now it's on the internet...omg the fake news is destroying country omg the Russians omg...ahhhhhh....

Seriously...things on the internet can be written by literally anyone....I really imagine the same thing occurring 100's of years ago when people started.realizing things in.books weren't always true.

'Whaaat?? Thou dost has written falseness with thine quill?? How can it be the written word is infalliable' and so on and so forth throughout all of #ing history...

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
1. Silent majority, just enough to keep on the constitutional issues and want the swamp drained, that group is just over half, and they notice this happening. They need to make a big fuss, phone, write in, meet up in their towns to discuss methods, problem solve, and take some action steps. Not elect anyone on these programs, so all conventional candidates maybe gone. Elect the libertarian say or the one who makes constitution their platform and will vote against all such bills.

2. Bitchute is actually a decent option. I have noticed many of the channels removed included natural news, is on bitchute. And because its peer to peer the videos run faster with our poor internet in this rural area than youtube ones do.

There can 2 popular channels or even 3 people check regularly, and monetized because alternative news deserves its money, I would boycott the mainstream most of the time.

There are others, D something, but it froze my computer so its not quite universal for rural linux computers yet apparently. Dlink I think it was.

I mean it can lift off too.

So, putting everything 1 basket WAS NEVER A GOOD IDEA.

I think bitchute is a really great option.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Can't wait to see what linked on the Alex "Meme Machine" Jones Channel.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
They're going to link to Wikipedia? Because a site that is anonymously edited by a third party is extremely reliable.

Why don't they just cut to the chase and put up links to Huffington Post and Snopes?

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I didn't realize youtube was supposed to be fact-based/news videos...

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3

there are alot of awful videos out there that make the craziest claims.

for adults with common sense and willing to research it is easily debunked, but for young children or the less smart i can see it being a good thing even if it is wiki, it's a starting point for research.

Reading the state produced propaganda in the wiki is not going to help them much.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

maybe, but it is a jumping off point for more research.

when you google a certain topic wiki will come up and so will a million other sites, so when your done with wiki you can go to those sites

if you dont want to read the wiki then dont read it, no one is forcing you to read it so you can access youtube
edit on 14-3-2018 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   

This seems pretty messed up to me. It should be upto the viewer to decide but at least they will still have that option and don't have to view wiki.

I can see David Ickes channel being linked to loads of wiki pages!

Anyhow's is there any othervideo upload site we can use?

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

So YT thinks Wikipedia is a credible source? I recall we were absolutely BANNED from using wikipedia as any source in High School. The teachers would straight up laugh at you like "Okay, what's your next reference, SNOPES? hahahahahaha"

-Alee

And lemme guess, you got straight A’s from using sources like natural news?

Hahahhahaha

LOL what? I had to use abstracts and actual science backed resources. No I did not get all A+s but Yes I did always get A's and extra credit in English.

I'm too lazy for that now but yeah I had my day dammit.

PS I've never heard of natural news and I"m not even sure I want to google it after your comment

PSS. Fun fact I like to share because I still don't understand it myself. So for our Senior english project we had to write an essay and do a presentation with a visual to persuade the class that the person we chose was either A a good influence on the world or B a bad influence.

I got a 103/100 doing "Anna Nicole Smith, the influence young women needed"
I did it the night before it was due and I did not even take myself seriously- still to this day I'm not quite sure how I pulled that off. But it's one of my favorite memories of High School.

-Alee
edit on 3/15/2018 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/15/2018 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

-Alee

The teachers lost that argument when Wikipedia started having extensive lists of credible sources on them. I actually took a class last semester where we were encouraged to use Wikipedia, not to quote from directly (because we couldn't properly cite who wrote any given sentence rather than credibility) but rather to reference all their sources.

That's really interesting, thanks for replying with that information. I have been out of school for 10 years, so when I hear Wikipedia as a source I chuckle remembering those teachers.

-Alee

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

The guy who runs natural news, Mike Adams is one of the biggest purveyors of snake oil and pseudoscience on the inter webs.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: NerdGoddess

The guy who runs natural news, Mike Adams is one of the biggest purveyors of snake oil and pseudoscience on the inter webs.

Oh I see, I'll make sure to keep an eye out when I see that site come up as a link.

Thanks !!!

-Alee

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

That's really interesting, thanks for replying with that information. I have been out of school for 10 years, so when I hear Wikipedia as a source I chuckle remembering those teachers.

-Alee

I'm not sure what it's like in high school, but this experience was for a 6000 level college course.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

-Alee
It actually makes more sense if you look at Wikipedia as articles having extensive lists of credible sources. Sure the user-generated content will always be somewhat suspect, so if you want just skip that and go straight to the list of credible sources provided. And even 10 years ago if you cited the credible sources listed in wikipedia instead of wikipedia itself, that would have been OK, right?

Maybe students need better instruction on how to use wikipedia, such as how they need to focus on the sources provided which may be more reliable than the user-generated content, or maybe that is happening, I've been out of school a while too so I don't know exactly what's being taught about wikipedia now.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I'm on android and I use two application (TubeMate and Snaptube) to download from youtube

the app works with a lot of different pages, such as Vimeo, Vuclip, WhatAppDaily.com, Instagram

tubemate.vip...
snaptube.vip...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join