It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science teacher fed live puppy to snapping turtle in front of students, witnesses say

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Plenty of reptiles will only eat live food they kill.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenGunther
Most of you are just biased because you have a dog, yawn..
Ethics should only be discussed by unbiased parties otherwise it’s just a waste time.

Same thing when I tried to feed a friend's sick mom to a tiger.

He didn't want it done because he was a biased family member. All those biased people I knew with mothers ruined my experiment.

I need to find some unbiased sons for my tiger feedings.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

plenty of orphans left over from the previous experiments carried out to test how children react to their parents being eaten by wild animals !

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I swear some people just don't know how to human !!
And today United Airlines in trouble yet again for putting a puppy in an overhead locker which promptly suffocated ..sigh

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Who the # does that , who teh # allowws it , who owns a dog and allows someone to do that to their pet, who gets on a flight and lets their dog get stuffed in their !
I hope the owners were not aware of the fact!

Id have assaulted the flight attendant for harming one of my family members!

Hurt my dogs I hurt you , one time a wee boy flung a bottle at my dogs in the park and his mother was there , I just drew her a heavy shady look and she proceeded to scald the young boy, if he was there himself Id have kicked his arse so he couldnt sit doon for a month.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: operation mindcrime

He didn’t feed a puppy to the turtle.. If you read the article it never specifically states that’s what he did. Using disclaimer words and such..

I bet dollars to donuts he fed a guinea pig to the turtle (a common feeder food) and also, separately had a sick puppy, and the activists/media are twisting it for a good story.

MAYBE the sick puppy died and then he fed it to the turtle..

No teacher would think feeding a live puppy to anything would fly.

Or maybe he just fed it Oreo cookies and the story just spun out of control...

What are you talking about?

Eyewitness reports of people defending this teacher state that he in fact fed the sick puppy to the turtle and his defense was that the puppy drowned before it got eaten and drowning is one of the most humane ways of ending an animal's life...

What was your point again?

There is nothing humane about drowning an animal unless it is a fish!!

Peace
edit on 2018pAmerica/ChicagoWed, 14 Mar 2018 10:09:11 -0500am310920183 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Well we do feed rodents to lizards and snakes. Just by the headline, it could be chocked up as a bizarre twist of one-upmanship.

edit on 14-3-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

wow , how does he even know that no one feels pain when drowning ?

has anyone ever drowned and said they didnt feel pain ?

I thought you asphyxiated through lack of oxygen to the brain , so that sounds painful

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Excuse me for a moment.

I spent an awful lot of time in science class, and you are right, we cut up frogs and other animals, or pieces thereof. And we probably would have had some living specimens too, had members of the student body not been sociopathic.

However, we never fed live anything, to anything else, and we sure as hell never operated a scalpel on a live animal in class.

And for your information, science is not about survival of the fittest. You are thinking of evolution, which maybe a scientific idea, but is not all of science on its own. Science is a way of comprehending the world around you, and one of the areas of study we use for that is psychology. Knowing what we know of psychology, we do NOT feed live animals to snapping turtles in front of people who may not be prepared for it, because doing so can be intensely damaging, and can trigger certain psychological states, some of which pose a danger to the individual suffering that altered state, as well as others around them, which you would know already, if you were the sort of person who had any business citing science as a source for ANYTHING that comes out of your head.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

I was kind of shocked (but more willfully ignorant) to learn that they indeed experimented on dogs and how they drown...

In studies done with dogs drowned in fresh and salt water, CO2 levels never rose above 70 mm Hg. Even when dogs were wet drowned the dogs never achieved CO2 levels above 61mm Hg.

So the authors conclude that drowned animals suffer the discomfort and pain of hypoxia (low oxygen) and anoxia (no oxygen) long before the narcotic effects of CO2 kick in, if they kick in at all, before the animal’s death. They believe the evidence of high levels of epinephrine in the blood, which result from stress, support the conclusion that the animals did not die a peaceable death. While some of the epinephrine resulted from the animals’ physiological response to cold water, the authors conclude that the more significant cause of high epinephrine levels was the stress from lack of oxygen.

wildlife control consultant

I am curious if this teacher will be excused for not knowing this. As I read it, Idaho's animal cruelty law classifies this as a misdemeanor...not sure what that means.

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Cool.

I didn’t know a turtle could eat a puppy.

Learn something new everyday.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse !

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Should a snake owner be charged for every time they've fed their snake a critter?

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Not if it is in accordance with the law...

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

exactly!!

Especially since this is a person who should be informed on the subject through his profession and is responsible for educating young minds.

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Its not about ethics, just follow the LAW.

Don't be such a tool. Half the laws are BS.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Id have to say given that snakes normally eat rodents , then they are safe as its the primary food source is it not ?
so its all good and snakes normally eat animals live anyway , turtles Im not so sure about , but I know they dont devour helpless puppies in the wild , or even drowned ones !

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Somebody needs to make up their mind...

Earlier on in this thread I was told that because I own a dog I have no business in the ethics department because I am biased.

So I'll just stick to facts and wouldn't you know it, Idaho Legislature passed amendments to the state’s animal cruelty laws in 2016 which would make the drowning of your dog a felony.

I'm on the other side of the pond and do not know what this would mean for a teacher but I hope it isn't good.

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Yall should be investigated every time you eat a steak.

How bout that virtual A1 sauce?

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Its not about ethics, just follow the LAW.

Don't be such a tool. Half the laws are BS.

I am kind of surprised that you would be calling me a tool but I guess I must have said something to justify this level of communication. I guess I am sorry about that...

If you want to know my stance on the ethics of the subject, I think it is morally wrong to feed puppies to turtles. Do I think it is wrong to feed mice/rats to turtles....I have no idea. I know too little about these creatures.

Is it wrong to feed a chimpanzee to a lion? Does a mountain gorilla have more rights than a goldfish? Can I shoot a dolphin?

I think it all boils down to the cognitive ability of the animal in question and wether or not I have responsibility for said animal.

Domesticating an animal means you also get responsibility for that animal's well being. I know they breed rats/mice specifically for food and feeding them to your pet snake could be seen as caring for your domesticated pet but personally I do not feel much for this practice since there are good alternatives.

Peace

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join