It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accidental discharge at a school

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

The Alexandria Police Department said it responded to the shooting at George Washington Middle School after a school resource officer “accidentally discharged his service weapon inside his office.” No one was injured and the officer, who has not been identified, immediately contacted his supervisor and school staff, according to the department’s statement. Police are investigating the matter.

The discharge comes less than a week after a student was killed in an accidental shooting at an Alabama school. The female student, 17, died on her way to the hospital in Birmingham after being shot. Two others were injured in the shooting.

i am not in favor of guns in schools. it seems most people here seem to think it is fine and will be the answer to school shootings. i just dont think so.
i think bringing guns into schools just brings on the chance for # to go bad. i think the chances of an accident happening or a negative situation with those weapons are far more likely than one of them with a gun saving the day.

this is just my opinion. no stats.

i really feel that if the # starts to hit the fan teachers with weapons are not going to be the answer. it is a major high stress situation.

i think a building full of various age kids and teens needs to have as few guns in it as possible.

this like this

Just two weeks after the deadly Parkland shooting, a Georgia teacher barricaded himself inside an empty high school classroom and fired a handgun while students stood outside the door. He now faces multiple charges, including carrying a weapon on school grounds.

i tend to agree with the teachers lobby

“Bringing more guns into our schools does nothing to protect our students and educators from gun violence,” Lily Eskelsen García, the NEA president, has said. “Our students need more books, art and music programs, nurses and school counselors; they do not need more guns in their classrooms.”

let the bashing begin

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i am not in favor of guns in schools. it seems most people here seem to think it is fine and will be the answer to school shootings. i just dont think so.

Responsible gun owner here. I am sort'a-kind'a-maybe in agreement with you. Guns in school are not a 'good' answer. However, enough guns in school for a while, might create enough of a deterrent that 'cowardly lions' will find easier targets (like airports).

I agree that liberal-assed teachers are never going to stand up like heroes and defend the battleground. They're simply not cut from such cloth. They're going to cause collateral damage. It has to be expected.

But - this is a turning point. And now there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I'm for personal responsibility and procedural adherence.

He made a mistake as a trained officer who isn't perfect mind you, regardless of location, and I'm sure he will be reprimanded, retrained and returned to duty.

This was a ISOLATED incident. This by no means should negate the fact that there NEEDS to be an armed presence at schools.

Reality can be hard to swallow when ideals outweigh rational thinking.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

He made a mistake as a trained officer who isn't perfect mind you, regardless of location, and I'm sure he will be reprimanded, retrained and returned to duty.

This was a ISOLATED incident. This by no means should negate the fact that there NEEDS to be an armed presence at schools.

well none of the teachers carrying will be prefect. more carrying means more chance of accidents.

and not really isolated now is it. my OP mentions another where a girl was killed

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I wouldn't bash you for your opinion even if I disagreed. I still have a child in high school and many nephews and I am not sure what the answer is. I am happy that there will be a meeting this Friday on school security. I posted a week ago or so about the ability to just come and go on the campus, no questions asked of adults or student (or student looking) folks.
The area where I live is predominantly right and gun owning. A lot of folks have guns as a hobby, hunt, protection, veterans and go to the range so I don't know that they can be discounted as being 'qualified' with a firearm in school protecting children OR on the streets protecting themselves and the public at large.
I just don't know what the answer is but finding the answers can definitely begin with dialogue which is why I feel very positive about the meeting.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Even armed teachers won't stop a determined nut job with an AK. This armed teacher narrative is just knee jerk BS to make the proles think the authorities care and are doing something.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Deplorable

I agree that liberal-assed teachers are never going to stand up like heroes and defend the battleground. They're simply not cut from such cloth. They're going to cause collateral damage. It has to be expected.

A men I went all through school with became principal of a small school. A student came into the school with a gun. The principle confronted him, unarmed, and tried to talk the student down. He was shot and killed, but no students were injured.

Your statement is based on your beliefs and biases, not facts, not reality. You don't know who may be the hero.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
When I went to school in the 90's there were kids walking around with guns in school.

They were "wannabe gangsters"

Mostly all in prison now

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

People need to stop watching Die Hard, if a shooter is in a building, teachers are not going to go out looking for the active shooter, yelling "Yippie ki yay".

Every time you hear about a teacher giving up their life by shielding students, if that teacher had a gun, they would still be alive and all of the kids the killer killed after the teacher would still be alive also.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Both of your statements contradict one another.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   

From an OSHA standpoint, any situation can be made safe through training and the proper equipment alongside behavior based safety practices. Human nature is to get lazy on mundane tasks and with equipment used daily, safety programs must be centered on breaking that nature and reinforcing safety as an integral part of the job culture rather than just a token department.

What I'm saying is that firearms are no more dangerous in a school setting than, say, the chemistry lab, cafeteria, or school bus. Accidents will happen, but the goal has to be on reduction of those accidents. We don't ban cafeteria's from serving perishable foods because botulism can kill people, we train cafeteria workers in proper and safe food handling and we inspect and follow through regularly to ensure proper practices are being followed. Same with school bus drivers, same with chemistry teachers. School resource officers and even teachers, if we go down that path and train and arm them, can overcome the inherent safety risks the same as any other job using dangerous-if-improperly-used tools has.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Even armed teachers won't stop a determined nut job with an AK. This armed teacher narrative is just knee jerk BS to make the proles think the authorities care and are doing something.

The laws against murder haven't stopped the nut jobs, either. Are you suggesting we do nothing or continue passing more laws which, by definition, have proven to be ineffectual where nut jobs are concerned?

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   

There NEEDS to be an armed presence at schools.

Lol seriously? Is America a #ing warzone or something? Jesus Christ...God you guys need to chill the # out....

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson

Every time you hear about a teacher giving up their life by shielding students, if that teacher had a gun, they would still be alive and all of the kids the killer killed after the teacher would still be alive also.

you dont know that.
not something you could possibly know.

could be way worse

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Why does there NEED to be an armed presence? So underpaid teachers are now a military force? You really want to force teachers into armed combat? If they fail all will happen is shame and punishment, the masses will riot until that teacher is removed from employment.While you’re at it why not bring back corporal punishment so that we just beat the sh$& out of the kids that don’t listen.

After all they NEED it right?

Maybe you should think before you write BS

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

the chem lab, lunch room and school busses all have their place in a school setting.

guns have a place in some peoples opinion.

i just dont see how it can make things any better and all this talk like if they had a gun they would be alive # is not something we can know.

i just posted an OP with 2 accidental shootings and in 1 a student died.

these are not even high stress, crisis situations and guns are going off and people are dying

i just dont see their place in a a school

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

i fail to see the NEED for armed teachers.
guns are going off and kids are dying when nothing is happening.
i dont see why this is even a debate

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

So cutting down the number of 'AK's in circulation might actually slowly improve the situation?
(as opposed to increasing the number of firearms on site)

Wonder if anyone has thought of that?

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: TheLotLizard

i fail to see the NEED for armed teachers.
guns are going off and kids are dying when nothing is happening.
i dont see why this is even a debate

Why is that a reply to me? I said the same thing.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I have nothing to add to this. Well said.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join