It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a tinysick review. : Annihilation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
www.imdb.com...

A biologist's husband disappears. She puts her name forward for an expedition into an environmental disaster zone, but does not find what she's expecting. The expedition team is made up of the biologist, an anthropologist, a psychologist, a surveyor, and a linguist.

great movie. same dude that did Ex Machina.

spoilers!!!

pretty damn cool premise for a flick. its kind of been done before. think the astronauts wife or extant. you know person goes to space and comes back but theyre not them. same flavor but deeper than that.

so they need to find out what the source of this 'shimmer' is. it anyone that goes in does not come back. anything that transmits a signal gets blocked.

so we see an asteroid crash as soon as the movie starts then this shimmer starts to grow. takes over area. so obviously it is alien even if it is not AN alien.

inside the shimmer everything gets refracted or fragmented and it is really cool. in the trailer it shows a big ass gator with rows of shark teeth. much cooler than that.
things growing in people. out of people. consciences getting transferred and mixing with other things.
radio waves get fragmented and put back together.
dna gets fragmented and put back together a different way.

then of course the what and the who

not the best movie i have ever seen but it was pretty damn good. ole Portman can usually be counted on to deliver and she does.

i recommend it

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Just finished this an hour ago.

Really makes you think. I'm going to watch it again and try to make out some more of what I think I saw.

Not sure why Kane's double didn't mimic his last moments, when Lena's did.

I very much enjoyed this film.

The screaming bear scene felt like something from a nightmare.

I may well check out the books it's based on.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail

Not sure why Kane's double didn't mimic his last moments, when Lena's did.

The screaming bear scene felt like something from a nightmare.

i just figured it is because everything was fragmented and different.

the screaming bear was one of the coolest parts. wild # man

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yeah, but we saw that all the duplicates were moving and acting as a single entity, even the deer.

Kane was different. When he sat down in front of the camera, his twin should have sat also.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I really did like the movie...great visuals. The only thing was the ending was a little ambiguous, for example, how did she end up with the other girls tattoo on her arm?

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat
I really did like the movie...great visuals. The only thing was the ending was a little ambiguous, for example, how did she end up with the other girls tattoo on her arm?

i think when the girl died it is one of the things that fragmented to her.
like the voice in the bear

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'm gonna have to watch it again. Portman was awesome.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail

Yeah, but we saw that all the duplicates were moving and acting as a single entity, even the deer.

Kane was different. When he sat down in front of the camera, his twin should have sat also.

how do you know the deer were duplicates? i thought it was just 2 deer.
we did not see a duplicate of everything.

really we only saw duplicated of cain and portman.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I thought at first the two deer were mirroring each other but when they ran off they leaped differently. They were pretty though.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This movie was STUPID.

Natalie Portman still hawt though.,

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
This movie was STUPID.

Natalie Portman still hawt though.,

NUH UH!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

So my thoughts on the mimicking behavior, the shimmer humanoid mimics Lena until it copies her completely, once it finishes copying her appearance it’s stops mimicking, this is when she picks up the phosphorus grenade, pulls the pin and hands it to the shimmer humanoid.

So same with Kane I assume, it mimicked him until it was finished copying his appearance, then it stopped.

I really liked the movie.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:40 AM
link   

I suppose they may have been refracted and bonded, like the flowers.

I took it as mirrored. I saw that scene as making a point about duplicates. From the stance, to the flick of the antenna/antlers, to bouncing away.

Although, we didn't see the deer anywhere near the lighthouse, so you may be right.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

General consensus seems to be that Lena's clone destroyed it's home because it was still mimicking Lena and her self-destructive qualities in destroying her own happy home. But Kane's clone didn't harbor the same recklessness that Kane did. Perhaps I'm trying to understand things that were meant to be unexplained.

A lot of this movie went unexplained. What were the eel things that Kane showed us in the guys stomach? Didn't look like he was becoming a plant.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Both Kane and Lena were turned in to something.

They never explained in to what.

Or if you want.

Something like Adam and Eve.

ETA:

Lena came back with what looked like the tattoo for the infinity sign on her arm.

So make of that what you will.

edit on 14-3-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

That tattoo was on one of the other ladies. She fragmented and part of her fused to Natalie.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Watched this yesterday, the effects were cool, but the story was crap. They needed to really explain more about the whole Kane duplicate thing, what it was what it wanted etc.....Left way to much to interpret

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzelfuzz

I took it as it was just life taking that form and living. Doing what life does. Notice they hugged and their eyes looked a bit off. I took it as there was a piece of them left in those bodies and minds for lack of a better way to put it and they knew they were together cause the duplicates were in part them.

join