It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump Blocks Broadcom Purchase of Qualcomm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

(WASHINGTON) — President Donald Trump is blocking Singapore-based Broadcom’s takeover of U.S. chipmaker Qualcomm on national security grounds.

The White House says Trump is taking the action on the recommendation of the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, which reviews foreign purchases of U.S. entities. Broadcom made an unsolicited bid last year to take over Qualcomm, which has been met by shareholder skepticism and regulatory scrutiny on security and antitrust grounds.

Broadcom is in the process of moving its legal headquarters from Singapore to the U.S., with the company planning on finishing the move by April 3, 2018. Trump hosted Broadcom CEO Hock E. Tan in the White House last year as he announced the move, and the company had hoped that would help it skirt the national security review.

Just sharing in case someone missed this.

I read that Trump was advised by the military that if the buy happened then in 10 years the U.S. would have to buy from the Chinese (Huawei).

Source: Time

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

Due to CFIUS imposed regulations, the government CANNOT use Chinese manufactured tech. Or most of it anyway. Broadcom's development comes from Huawei .
Qualcomm does a lot of work for the US Feds.
Clear ?

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Thank goodness! This could have been a very compromising takeover for our future.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Thank goodness! This could have been a very compromising takeover for our future.

I'm surprised the two would want to merge, knowing this danger.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), which raised concerns about the Qualcomm deal, listed the highly leveraged nature of Broadcom’s bid for its larger rival as a major concern and a risk to Qualcomm’s leadership on mobile technology.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

that was a massive offer on the table, that said I am glad he blocked it lot of potential downside for the country down the road.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

edit on 3/13/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Qualcomm Snap Dragon series radio is amazing.

This was a really interesting thing to of happened like it did. I can only imagine, given the haste, that Qual must be doing some next level S*** for the Uncle Sam that they did not want anyone ever knowing about.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Silly Broadcom
All communication-tech must go through Israel first

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Why does the Deep State always holler (in unison) RUSSIA!! but not CHINA!! It's a really good and legitimate question worthy of pondering.

Another bullet dodged...for now.

edit on 13-3-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Speaking purely from a consumer/end-user perspective Broadcoms' products suck. They dictate how long you can use that product for by keeping a tight hold of driver releases. I have a wifi card that only worked with Windows XP. No Win7 drivers. Boot Linux and the thing works. They release few or no technical info. Their stuff works and is widely used but they suck more than other large OEM's. Intel wifi cards always (or mostly) work because Intel updates their drivers.

I do not buy Broadcom any more if I can help it.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The short of it...... this is excellent news.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Chinese microchips in American military technology?
Thanks but no thanks...

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
This is a good thing and yes due to FCC there is authority...

One reason I didn't want to live in Florida is because even TV in the area was charged by the Megabyte... like it was a cellphone company due to a monopoly in the area.

Like in that old commercial when banks compete you win; when there is no competition then you lose... that is the same no matter what industry... no industry one finds the need then fills it. Thats how to do business when starting out; of course capital to get started etc. if successful then others want to buy it out or mud sling if one does not.

Of course no such thing as bad press because it is free advertising. There is however a lot of paid words of false advertising, like those that have never even bought a product slandering it's quality etc.

Some have taken brand loyalty even further than it is even worth as far as competition that is much better. Such as auto industry used to be, all parts designed to fail at the writ found in warranties making them worthless to have or try to follow.

Of course those not having the skill pay those with the skill, those with the skill know the rip off meaning insider information; consultation is usually paid for as a gift it is just information sharing.

So in information sharing charging by such rates has some root; do those get a sum from the companies over charging? Artists such as writers actors etc in many cases get percentages or residuals until public domain... if ever depending on contracts and licensing.

This is typically why I always give away my own personal stuff online. Of course, depending on the site they say they own the content. What is they legislate to say they can also own the real property?

Sometimes this debt we have created tries to go way too far.

As in branding all into slavery when the dollar is designed to free such bonds off of humanity.

So hey treading lightly except where it snows is a good idea... when off of beaten paths never mind.

Perspective must arise from more than one view or that is narrow mindedness; wisdom grows from dropping one's own fruit and seeing what others have to say when done chewing.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

Just one more 'goody' our President has bucked to enforce America First.

MAGA!

new topics

top topics

join