It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rex Tillerson is OUT!

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Years ago, I taught myself to look away/tune out - - divert my eyes from advertising - - all medias.

I choose to make choices on my own.

Propaganda is mind numbing.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

For me, it is not just the nuisance of advertising, it is the saturation into American culture that over-rides all else in the way of mind control. That image is more important than substance.
I recall way back in fourth grade, which was for me was about 1957. I had a substitute teacher one day and he asked the class a question. He asked, what is more important, what you say, or how you say it.

Well, I raised my hand and replied ''what you say'' because I was raised to tell the truth. He corrected me and said no, it's how you say it. That was the very first time that I ever questioned a teacher, let alone an adult. That stuck with me over the years.

This notion of finding a way to present information that will coerce the informee in such a manner as to move them from their natural inclinations and into one that will benefit the advertiser is insidious. And it is not just that it is bothersome on an individual level but rather that it sets the tone of the national economy.

Over the years I have watched celebrities hawk wares. It used to be that there were only a few who did it, and then only for products they prefered. Carlin was one who never did except for one time and to his dying day regretted it. Big stars most often did not.

But now, with the proliferation of entertainment industries, with all the celebrities who are trained in presenting appealing personas in movies and tv shows, there are enough of them who want more work that the advertising industry has a waiting line of famous faces to push their products on the public.

Advertising is now making commercials that are filled with action and romance and car chase and such that the American public loves in their movies. You can't tell if you are watching a show or a commercial at times. The line has been crossed and all culture in America is now consumed with promoting that culture of consumerism. I could go on and on but I won't. Thanks for that reply.

new topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join