It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China States J-20 is an air supremacy fighter, variants planned

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Beijing will evolve the Chengdu J-20 fighter into roles well beyond aerial supremacy.

The aircraft’s primary mission for the time being is “making way for other aircraft in an air battle,” says Zhang Hao, who heads an air force flight test centre.

Zhang made the remarks in a story carried by Beijing’s official China Daily news organ.

The type will be developed into variants and will also allow for the opening of research into a “sixth generation fighter,” says Yang Wei, a deputy director of science and technology at AVIC.

"We are not complacent about what we have achieved,” Yang is quoted as saying. “We will develop the J-20 into a large family and keep strengthening its information-processing and intelligent capacities. At the same time, we will think about our next-generation combat plane to meet the nation's future requirements," Yang added that the J-20 is “the best fighter in China, so it would be used in the most crucial moments during a war.”

www.flightglobal.com...

So, not a strike aircraft. There is probably one coming though and they'll do to the J-20 what we did to the F-15.

OTOH, let's highlight something:

will also allow for the opening of research into a “sixth generation fighter,”

PCA/NGAD/whatever is called this week better start hustling.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
It's obsolete.

The F22 has 51% more thrust with 26000 lbs vs 17125 lbs for the J-20.
The F22 has 27% thrust with afterburners at 35,000 lbs vs 27000 lbs for the J-20.

www.nextbigfuture.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

We only have 180 odd F-22s and a closed down production line.

The J-20 is still being produced and they are working on a new engine.

Both sides are now working on the 6th gen.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

We only have 180 odd F-22s and a closed down production line.

The J-20 is still being produced and they are working on a new engine.

Both sides are now working on the 6th gen.

As we have the JSF, Lasers, and Rail Cannons.

That is why we don't have the 22 being produced.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   

They have railguns on ships. We don't.

We're in a race and we have an edge. It's not an insurmountable one though. Especially with our development cycle.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   

None of which have anything to do with why we didn't build the F-22 in larger numbers. We are rapidly losing our edge in almost every field because we became complacent and decided since we were ahead, we'd always be ahead.
edit on 3/13/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

None of which have anything to do with why we didn't build the F-22 in larger numbers. We are rapidly losing our edge in almost every field because we became complacent and decided since we were ahead, we'd always be ahead.

No, we are not.

The world is 39 years behind us. You know what you are allowed to know, you see what you are allowed to see.

The Chinese are fighting a war made for 20 years ago.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

And of course you know everything we have, as well as everything China and Russia has. Ok, sure. We all bow to your obviously superior knowledge and expertise.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

ugh.....

No.

And I'm pretty sure Zaphod has a good grasp on the subject. Along with many others here on the forum.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The Russians cannot afford gas.

The Chinese steal everything we have.

You have no idea the toys the US plays with now and it will stay that way.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
If any of these "hostile states" thought for one second that they are actually superior and we could be easily bested militarily, they would attack. So far,,, crickets, indicating that they know more about what you don't know than you know.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

And like I said, you know everything we have in the inventory, right? Full access to all information that everyone has in their black programs, right?

Because if you don't, you don't have a lot of room to talk.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SonofaSkunk

Sorry, but that's a ridiculous comment. Russia has always had a lead in missiles and DEWs, and yet done nothing with them. Being ahead in specific areas doesn't magically give them the ability to project power. Both Russia and China have closed the gap significantly, regardless of comments made in this thread. That doesn't mean we're going to see a war any time soon.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

In DEW? Or do you mean EW? We've had a lead in lasers for a long, long time. But WE keep screwing around....

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

I should have said they HAD a lead in DEW for years. They were a good bit ahead of us for awhile, then the same thing we're seeing now with us happened to them.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Jeez you got into a pissing contest with the wrong bloke here matey.

Believe me I know more than you and I wouldn't put myself in the same league as the top5 in these forums.

Enjoy the burn boy

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I must admit to liking the J20 more than the Su-57, seems to have more of a defined purpose, if they can get into decent scale production and get even a 20% better engine reliably working than they can tie up the entire F22 fleet and a good portion of other assets just protecting the tankers and AWACS.

It's not a bad battle plan depending on how the J20 performs in the real world, it's a big bird and should have a decent range once the engines are sorted.

Lets hope the KC-X gets fast tracked as the US simply can't fight whilst having to maintain a permanent watch for and J20's slipping through to drop a few KC135's & KC46's

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Physics doesn't care what color your flag is. It'll work as well for the Chinese as for Americans.

I'm almost willing to place money on the Chinese getting SSTO before we do. If their signaling is spot on, it'll be soon. As in a handful of years. Maybe as little as two.

Read the scientific papers as well as the aviation rags and whatnot.

The Chinese are letting those who watch that they are going for the gold so there will be less of a surprise to those with big red buttons. The MURICA! crowd will claim we did it years ago, even when we did not. In that, they sound like Russian propagandists.

Face the truth and hope, at least, it will be a Sputnik moment and get us off our asses again.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Im still trying to get my head around the tech that was in the Sr71 :-P

top topics

<<   2 >>

join