It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Changing face of Religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Brother Guy Consolmagno from the Vatican Observatory has a fascination with asteroids and meteorites. John Parkes is a microbial ecologist who studies the activity of microorganisms in geological contexts, particularly within the deep subsurface of the Earth. His work has helped to establish knowledge of the existence of enormous populations of bacteria in the deep biosphere, which are of interest due to their close proximity to oil reserves, deep disposal sites and geosphere energy sources. Any Guesses as to whats going to happen next?
Booker T and the M G's - green onions its a classic
www.youtube.com...
edit on 12-3-2018 by DpatC because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DpatC

I don't get what this has to do with religion?

the catholic church has accepted sciences for centuries

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Are you aware that Monsignor George Lemaitre is the original mind behind things we take for granted today like the Big Bang and the Hubble Constant back in the 1920's? Nothing new and no changes from the Vatican who opened their observatory in 1891.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

I don't get what this has to do with religion?

the catholic church has accepted sciences for centuries

edit on 12-3-2018 by DpatC because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Any Guesses as to whats going to happen next?

Yet another split in Roman Catholic Church.

One side, the current Pope's, advocating science and climate change amelioration, and the other side joining with and becoming American Fundamentalist Evangelical science deniers.

EVANGELICAL FUNDAMENTALISM AND CATHOLIC INTEGRALISM: A SURPRISING ECUMENISM
Appealing to the values of fundamentalism, a strange form of surprising ecumenism is developing between Evangelical fundamentalists and Catholic Integralists brought together by the same desire for religious influence in the political sphere.

Some who profess themselves to be Catholic express themselves in ways that until recently were unknown in their tradition and using tones much closer to Evangelicals. They are defined as value voters as far as attracting electoral mass support is concerned. There is a well-defined world of ecumenical convergence between sectors that are paradoxically competitors when it comes to confessional belonging. This meeting over shared objectives happens around such themes as abortion, same-sex marriage, religious education in schools and other matters generally considered moral or tied to values. Both Evangelical and Catholic Integralists condemn traditional ecumenism and yet promote an ecumenism of conflict that unites them in the nostalgic dream of a theocratic type of state.

edit on 13-3-2018 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Religion has to keep up with science adapting to the new reality as its uncovered. At least they are sort of keeping up.

The church of science, on the other hand, will never officially admit to anything spiritual, ever.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The church of science, on the other hand, will never officially admit to anything spiritual, ever.

I've got to disagree with that. I worked with or studied under people of faith when working on my anthropology degree. Prominent geneticists like Francis Collins from the Human Genome Project for example,are devout Christians. I also went to school with people of several faiths.

Sure, there are plenty of heathen agnostics like me and many atheists as well. But people like Dawkins, despite how loudly he yells, don't represent the majority of people working in the life Sciences. The vast majority of us are more than happy to accept new evidence that adheres to the scientific method demonstrating the validity of what would be considered paranormal or woo.

Personally, I believe that I've encountered or seen things that I can't explain, rationalize or falsify with science/ the scientific method and the same can be said of many, many others working in the Life Sciences. What gives the appearance of closed mindedness is that when discussing these topics from a scientific perspective, we typically approach the subject matter from the point of view that if we can't test it, falsify it and repeat the results then it's a tad disingenuous and somewhat irresponsible to try to claim that things that we can't apply the scientific method to, are legitimate phenomena.

I totally understand why you would come to the conclusion in the above quoted text from your post. But honestly, we are all a lot more open minded than it may appear at first glance.

new topics

top topics

join