It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear and anxiety drive conservatives' political attitudes

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

My goodness, I find myself agreeing with introvert. Things are very backwards right now. lol

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: hombero

There was a study a few years back that found that conservatives have a larger amygdala than liberals (the part of the brain that processes fear and anxiety). Of course, liberals ran around saying "conservatives are afraid of everything" and other such nonsense (I mean, why are the police mostly conservative, why is the military mostly conservative, etc). Of course an opposite reading actually makes more sense, liberals tend to have an undersized amygdala which makes them unable to properly assess and respond to threats. Instead they ignore them and minimize them (JV team, bitter clingers, immigration, etc.)

Of course there are extremists on both sides that see a bogey man around every corner (see white supremacists) or who can't recognize threats at all (see sweden for many such deniers).

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

You are so right!

I should just stop worrying about changing the batteries in my smoke detector. Why the hell should I worry about doing that?

Why should I care if any of us actually put our seat belts on anymore? I can't see any point to it.

No sense in locking any of my doors.

I should take that bike helmet I bought for my kid back to the store. He's not gonna need it.

I love this new not living in fear all the time.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

will you still fear losing the war on christmas though???

all what you posted, putting batteries in you smoke detector, making sure you kid has a helmet on before he gets on his bike, locking your doors... they all seem to be proper responses to sane fears... doing these things gives us sense of security, reduces the fear and anxiety.
what in hades name are we suppose to do with an imaginary war on a holiday, outside of laugh at the idea and worry about those who actually claim that it exists of course.
same goes for the idea that a sharia law system will be enforced on american soil.... ya, sure, good luck getting even a small amount of our population to accept that, half of our men have guns and would shoot whoever came to their door to measure their beard and half the women would be forming mobs on the beach when they came to tell them their skimpy bikinis had to go. we wouldn't even accept a christian theocracy, much less an islamic one... but, oh ya, we are supposed to fear that it might come in our lifetime...

fear is a good thing, when reason rules, it serves to protect us from the dangers, known and sometimes unknown...
but some of us seem to be walking the line dividing reason and insanity here.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
a reply to: hombero

There was a study a few years back that found that conservatives have a larger amygdala than liberals (the part of the brain that processes fear and anxiety). Of course, liberals ran around saying "conservatives are afraid of everything" and other such nonsense (I mean, why are the police mostly conservative, why is the military mostly conservative, etc). Of course an opposite reading actually makes more sense, liberals tend to have an undersized amygdala which makes them unable to properly assess and respond to threats. Instead they ignore them and minimize them (JV team, bitter clingers, immigration, etc.)

Of course there are extremists on both sides that see a bogey man around every corner (see white supremacists) or who can't recognize threats at all (see sweden for many such deniers).

The studies linked in the OP are from several years ago. They actually say pretty much what you said. The liberals tested had very low tolerance for unpleasant stimuli and immediately tried to ignore it and pretend it wasn't there. Conservatives tested were better able to cope with it.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I want to be able to go to places and see "Merry Christmas" alongside everything else. I don't want to fear that if I say, "Merry Christmas" to someone, they'll get horribly offended because they think I'm trying to convert them or some other nefarious thing rather than expressing happy sentiment for a season of celebration. Who cares what terms I put it in? Most everyone celebrates at that time ... even atheists. I sure don't see them going on in to work that day, and they give and receive gifts and put up trees like everyone else.

I find like most everything that the move to "include" is most often a thinly veiled move to exclude one or two pointed groups by telling them they should stop having their fun.

No one cares that days like St. Patrick's Day or Cinco de Mayo are pretty darn exclusive in their origins or who and what they really celebrate. Everyone just pitches in and pretends to be either Irish or Mexican on those days and has fun. Of course, these days, that's wrong too because ... cultural appropriation.

It's not about "losing" a war. It's about being told my holiday is offensive while others celebrate Hanukkah and Kwanzaa openly and however they want and say whatever they want, but I have to keep my head down and say "Happy Holidays" to be "inclusive" by excluding references to my own holiday.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I don't want to fear that if I say, "Merry Christmas" to someone, they'll get horribly offended because they think I'm trying to convert them or some other nefarious thing rather than expressing happy sentiment for a season of celebration.

Has this ever actually happened to you?

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I want to be able to go to places and see "Merry Christmas" alongside everything else. I don't want to fear that if I say, "Merry Christmas" to someone, they'll get horribly offended because they think I'm trying to convert them or some other nefarious thing rather than expressing happy sentiment for a season of celebration. Who cares what terms I put it in? Most everyone celebrates at that time ... even atheists. I sure don't see them going on in to work that day, and they give and receive gifts and put up trees like everyone else.

LOL! How many people have you talked to in your ENTIRE life that have taken offense to you using Merry Christmas? I bet the number is 0 and if it isn't you can count them on one hand. If anything, it's people like you who take offense at people who want to say Happy Holidays more so than people taking offense at Merry Christmas. In either case, the situation is stupidly overblown out of proportion. This whole controversy is textbook persecution complex.

I find like most everything that the move to "include" is most often a thinly veiled move to exclude one or two pointed groups by telling them they should stop having their fun.

I find that people who believe stuff like this they tend to have a persecution complex.

No one cares that days like St. Patrick's Day or Cinco de Mayo are pretty darn exclusive in their origins or who and what they really celebrate. Everyone just pitches in and pretends to be either Irish or Mexican on those days and has fun. Of course, these days, that's wrong too because ... cultural appropriation.

You do know that Cinco De Mayo is an American holiday right? They don't actually really celebrate it down in Mexico.

It's not about "losing" a war. It's about being told my holiday is offensive while others celebrate Hanukkah and Kwanzaa openly and however they want and say whatever they want, but I have to keep my head down and say "Happy Holidays" to be "inclusive" by excluding references to my own holiday.

No one is telling you that your holiday is offensive. Most of America, even the non-Christians still celebrate Christmas. This situation is all in your head.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Yup. Can't have anything anymore.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   

so, how many times have you, personally, been accused of offending someone for saying marry christmas by the person you are giving the greeting to??? just asking because, I have never had it happen to me, they might reply with a happy holidays, or whatever greeting they wise, but I've never had a word said to me that my greeting was offensive.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Actually, they do, but only in one part of Mexico where the Battle of Puebla was fought. In the rest of the country, it's a minor observance.

It would be like Patriot's Day becoming a nationwide celebration in France centering on celebrating all things America for a day like we tend to all things Mexico on Cinco de Mayo. Patriot's Day is a minor thing a lot of people in the US don't even know about, but it's fairly well celebrated in Lexington and Concord and that area of the country.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
And yes, I have been asked not to say Merry Christmas as a parent with a kid in a public school.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

So one time in a public setting constitutes some war against your holiday? The hyperbole is strong in you.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

And yes, I have been asked not to say Merry Christmas as a parent with a kid in a public school.

And the person who said that to you responded out of fear you were trying to convert them?

Perhaps they were asking you to not use that language out of a sense of inclusiveness (or in that specific case a lack thereof) rather than fear?

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Meanwhile here in the States its a nationwide drinking holiday using Mexican iconography. Technically it is the very definition of cultural appropriation, and is under more scrutiny than Christmas is or ever will be. But the day isn't going anywhere.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   

were you in the school in some kind of official capacity... like volunteering in their library or acting as a volunteer teacher's aide or something? were you saying it to the person them self, or to their class? schools should be inclusive, their teachers and others working in them should be using inclusive terms since there is diversity when it comes to the holidays the kids might be celebrating.
meanwhile you have people like me who doesn't really do anything for any of the holidays wishing you a marry christmas... or happy holidays, or whatever comes to mind... so, guess you lose one while you win one??

edit on 13-3-2018 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I can just imagine all those people in our country that aren't getting any kind of happy greeting from me for their holidays because I have no idea they even exist must feel! heck, I don't really know when Cinco de Mayo is or what it is about. but hey, people are free to celebrate it if they wish, I hope they have a good time, don't see a problem with that.. as long as they don't try to force me into the celebrations or judge me for my decision not to..
they can celebrate any day they want any way they want as long as they aren't interfering with other people's freedom to celebrate whatever day they wish in whatever way they wish, or harm others in their celebrations.
I think some are more upset that they have to allow others to do their own thing than they are being prevented from doing theirs but what the hey!!

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

I can just imagine all those people in our country that aren't getting any kind of happy greeting from me for their holidays because I have no idea they even exist must feel! heck, I don't really know when Cinco de Mayo is or what it is about. but hey, people are free to celebrate it if they wish, I hope they have a good time, don't see a problem with that.. as long as they don't try to force me into the celebrations or judge me for my decision not to..

Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for May 5th ^.^ It's a fun time if you like going to the bars.

they can celebrate any day they want any way they want as long as they aren't interfering with other people's freedom to celebrate whatever day they wish in whatever way they wish, or harm others in their celebrations.
I think some are more upset that they have to allow others to do their own thing than they are being prevented from doing theirs but what the hey!!

Yeah I don't know what the big deal is. You don't need a lot of prompting to get Americans to party and celebrate. Pretending like holidays are under assault by some imaginary liberals with sticks up their butt is just silly. Liberals love excess partying just as much as conservatives. Hell, they may love it more so since drug use is more accepted among liberal crowds than conservative ones.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

I don’t buy that for a second..

I’m guessing the study was a poll on Sean hannity. Com ??

Lmao..

There is literally nothing new to the modern world that conservatism has given us..

BY DEFINITION conservatism means “to conserve the traditions of the past”..

So inherently EVERY new development is from the left..

You don’t get to rewrite the definitions of words.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Has anyone seen or done a study on political leanings vs. "fight or flight" response? After reading these articles, to me it makes sense that there is a link. Fight or flight is unique to us all. In dangerous situations some will stand and fight, others will seek cover and wish to be consoled.

It seems that political leaning may be an extension of this fight or flight response. Conservatives would be more likely to stand and fight for beliefs, to defend themselves and family. Liberals would be more inclined to run, stick head in sand, and search out puppies, crayons, and play dough.

So the question is, does conservatism cause a fight response, or does a flight response lead to a liberal mindset? An actual study would be interesting.

new topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join