It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear and anxiety drive conservatives' political attitudes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: Painterz

Are you sure 'the rest of the site' isn't just a sign of the times society wide? It seems to me the mud pit gives people a chance to blow off steam, where otherwise we'd all be banned by now for talking directly to people when it's just oh so necessary sometimes.

I don't know about that. I'm sure there's people on ATS I've had bad arguments with, and if we'd met in a pub or at a friends house, we'd probably have gotten on fine. Just the media outlets, of which ATS is one, now encourage angry intense disagreement.

And if we spent more time in environments that discouraged the worst extremes of the mud pit, we might all be a little happier and get on a little better.

I don't know if everybody sees the mud pit as 'blowing off steam' either, do they? You see a lot of angry angry stuff in here, insulting stuff, deliberately trolling stuff. And I think it's fine for people who enjoy that, but what about all the users who have quietly left ATS over the years because they don't like this stuff? Or who just find it depressing or whatever?

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert
the republican party (conservatives) have been pretty much taken over by the religious right. the religious right saw a chance to get enough power in our gov't to be able to install their idea of a "christian nation, ruled by biblical laws". it's blowing up in their face and they are tying like heck to save themselves from the coming destruction. so they are trying to shift the blame where ever they think it might stick and of course claiming the liberals have been working to do what is gonna be the result of their own actions.
there's a reason why so many republicans are jumping ship in the congress. the russia thing is just a small fragment of something that is gonna tear down the republican party... which isn't good, but political parties can't be getting money from foreign countries or "churches" in exchange for the favor of tearing down our constitution and replacing it with a religious theocracy and connected to the russian mobs.
or, at least that is what I think is going on.... I could be wrong.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

In a 2012 study, liberal and conservative participants were shown collages of both negative and positive images on a computer screen while their eye movements were recorded. While liberals were quicker to look at pleasant images, like a happy child or a cute bunny rabbit, conservatives tended to behave oppositely. They’d first inspect threatening and disturbing pictures—things like car wrecks, spiders on faces, and open wounds crawling with maggots—and would also tend to dwell on them for longer. This is what psychologists call a “negativity bias”.

This would be what non-psychologists would call "common sense."

If I'm between a pretty butterfly and an alligator, guess which one gets my attention? The people that would focus on the butterfly are the ones likely to be eliminated from the gene pool.

In this case I think the argument is that conservatives see "alligators" where they may not even exist.

I thought the study was based on eyeball movements when shown the contrasting types of photos? How did they manage to "measure" delusions as you're asserting here?

Admittedly I only did a quick look at it, stuck using phone again this week the idiots missed the scheduled day to fix my net last week then had the balls to schedule it another week later.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

In this case I think the argument is that conservatives see "alligators" where they may not even exist.

In this experiment, people were shown "positive" and "negative" images. To me, the correct response it to assess any potential dangers first before enjoying the beauty of the "positive" images. I don't see that as either liberal, conservative, positive or negative. It's just plain old survival instinct that's been bred into humans since they came into existence.

I'd be curious to see the breakdown of this experiment in terms of age. I would think older people would focus more on the "negative" images than their younger counterparts. I would think that would also reinforce survival of the species. If younger people focused on how crazy potential mates seem to be instead of how physically attractive they are, the human race might have gone extinct a long time ago.

I don't remember the movie, but I remember this quote from it, "Just go ahead and ask her out. Don't think about it. If people went around thinking all the time nobody would ever get together."

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: face23785

They did not say ,

“Recognize dangers and prepare for them”..

They said “irrational fears”..

Aka fears that do not really apply to actual reality..

Thank you for not actually reading the OP.

The entire point is the studies actually didn't say that. They didn't say fear and anxiety drive conservative views. The author of the blog said these things, dishonestly using these studies to back himself up. He misrepresented them. The studies say no such thing, and actually in some ways indicate the opposite. I could explain further by copying and pasting from the OP, but since you didn't read it before why would you read it now?

Read. It helps. A lot.
edit on 12 3 18 by face23785 because: typos

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

the republican party (conservatives) have been pretty much taken over by the religious right. the religious right saw a chance to get enough power in our gov't to be able to install their idea of a "christian nation, ruled by biblical laws".

That is actually very accurate and not many people know where and whom it started with. Sadly, that religious aspect has even found it's way in to the Democrat party as well.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

a reply to: Painterz

Are you sure 'the rest of the site' isn't just a sign of the times society wide? It seems to me the mud pit gives people a chance to blow off steam, where otherwise we'd all be banned by now for talking directly to people when it's just oh so necessary sometimes.

If you think it is necessary to be rude and belittle people for having a different political opinion then you then you are part of the problem with political discourse these days. It isn't necessary to "blow off steam", political discourse has just warped to be as nasty as possible to each other and now you think there isn't any other way.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Show where I condoned being nasty and rude before suggesting that i did.

And this has what to do with the topic by the way? I responded to the person who brought it up. That isn't inherently derailing a a topic. But responding to someone who responded to an off topic, and calling them out in it no less... Note we're not supposed to call people out in the normal forums and the ability to do that in here that's all I actually condoned.

Yawn.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

In this experiment, people were shown "positive" and "negative" images. To me, the correct response it to assess any potential dangers first before enjoying the beauty of the "positive" images. I don't see that as either liberal, conservative, positive or negative. It's just plain old survival instinct that's been bred into humans since they came into existence.

I'd be curious to see the breakdown of this experiment in terms of age. I would think older people would focus more on the "negative" images than their younger counterparts. I would think that would also reinforce survival of the species. If younger people focused on how crazy potential mates seem to be instead of how physically attractive they are, the human race might have gone extinct a long time ago.

I don't remember the movie, but I remember this quote from it, "Just go ahead and ask her out. Don't think about it. If people went around thinking all the time nobody would ever get together."

Great points. If anything it showed a 'deluded metric' and not in favor of the viewpoint of the blogger.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Color me surprised on the OP post. No. Really. Color me rainbow because it must be true.

I'm genuinely interested in this now....Nah. Not really. Carry on with the post bashing. Typical ignorance portrayed by both sides, I'm more surprised how you all haven't gotten bored at this pointing fingers game.
edit on 12-3-2018 by WarPig1939 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Show where I condoned being nasty and rude before suggesting that i did.

It's just your suggestion that the mud pit is necessary that did it. The mud pit is a collection of rude and nasty opinions that rarely, if ever, do anything to move a discussion along productively. If you are saying that it is necessary then you are advocating for this behavior in lieu of more productive means of conversation.

And this has what to do with the topic by the way? I responded to the person who brought it up. That isn't inherently derailing a a topic. But responding to someone who responded to an off topic, and calling them out in it no less... Note we're not supposed to call people out in the normal forums and the ability to do that in here that's all I actually condoned.

Yawn.

This whole topic is dumb and misinformed. It's addressing a blanket statement, which is unnecessary to begin with since blanket statements are always logical fallacies. The best I can say about the thread itself is that at least the OP wasn't trying to pick a fight with the other side of the political aisle with it. So there's that at least.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I agree with you about the mud pit, but...

It's just your suggestion that the mud pit is necessary that did it. The mud pit is a collection of rude and nasty opinions that rarely, if ever, do anything to move a discussion along productively. If you are saying that it is necessary then you are advocating for this behavior in lieu of more productive means of conversation

*bold is mine*
...if you felt that way why did you create 20 threads in the mud pit? Seems to contradict what you are stating.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustaBill

I agree with you about the mud pit, but...

It's just your suggestion that the mud pit is necessary that did it. The mud pit is a collection of rude and nasty opinions that rarely, if ever, do anything to move a discussion along productively. If you are saying that it is necessary then you are advocating for this behavior in lieu of more productive means of conversation

*bold is mine*
...if you felt that way why did you create 20 threads in the mud pit? Seems to contradict what you are stating.

Standards are for other people.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
i'm quite sure liberal politics in america is the same in regards to fear and anxiety, almost every issue i see discussed by either side is driven by fear.

never do i see anything about fixing the real issues facing our country, only division, fear, anxiety and personal attacks against the american people and their political leanings or beliefs.

not even the 3rd parties are any different in this regard.

i honestly believe it's time to ban political parties and create legally binding civility rules for elections before the division they are helping to facilitate destroys our country.

what actually matters is infrastructure maintenance and upgrades, regulating corporations, tax reform, social security reform, medicaid & medicare reform, education reform, bank & credit controls, refocusing our foreign policy on to china and russia alone, fixing corruption and waste, etc, etc.

this whole conservative/liberal policy bashing and things going back and forth every 2 to 4 years constantly is destroying any cohesive national policy and is confusing the world by making us seem unpredictable. we are setting up our nation on a path of destruction by the hands of the world out of fear, we need to stop now or our collapse is guaranteed because the world is finally getting tired of waiting. and neither trump, congress nor obama is the problem, we the people are the problem.

this division is showing the world nothing but weakness and instability.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: namehere
i'm quite sure liberal politics in america is the same in regards to fear and anxiety, almost every issue i see discussed by either side is driven by fear.

I can certainly agree with this.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Liberals are driven by their own belief that they are morally and intellectually superior to everybody else, and need to feel like they're really helping us poor, pitiful victims of society.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

I could say the same thing about the christian right though. the best you are gonna get from me is that they are in agreement of that one... some are superior than the rest of us, the poor should be kept poor, the only difference is just who should hold the power over the poor, the gov't through benefits or the church through their charity.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Of course they are, their entire message is based on fear. Fear immigrants, Muslims, Minorities, get guns because the boogeymen man is after you, white men are being attacked or whatever fear mongering they try next.

They scare their voters into believing the end of days is just around the corner.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: Blue Shift

I could say the same thing about the christian right though. the best you are gonna get from me is that they are in agreement of that one... some are superior than the rest of us, the poor should be kept poor, the only difference is just who should hold the power over the poor, the gov't through benefits or the church through their charity.

Some people on both sides certainly think they're superior. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a right-wing Christian that actually thinks poor people should be kept poor though. That's the perception progressives have of the right that they reinforce with each other, but I've never known someone who really thought that on the left or the right.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   

yea if you look at the comments section to news articles or youtube videos etc etc you would think we are living in 1961. the vocal minority is making a lot of noise on all sides and trolling politically incorrect nonsense just to piss people off. i'm not sure how we are going to get beyond this heated political/racial/religious climate.

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join