It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear and anxiety drive conservatives' political attitudes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

The partisanism has gotten REALLY bad on ATS. People can't even honestly label historic movements as liberal or conservative anymore...

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Did the study present the "liberals" with images of white people, Russia, Russians, straight people, etc?

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
imo...

i have always felt that conservatives are the yin to the liberals yang. conservatives are the domineering paternal father figure type that refuses to ask for directions, is wary of all strangers and reluctant to any change that threatens the established power structure, they tend to think logically, are more apathetic and want to keep more of what is theirs and what they have earned and give where they see fit.

liberals are more motherly, open to change and different cultures, tend to think emotionally, be more empathetic and want to help the less fortunate almost to a fault i feel conservatives are more willing to put our futures in the hands of corporations and big business where i feel liberals would be happier giving the power to the working man/unions etc

i feel yin and yang should work with each other and not be stubborn towards each others viewpoints, both sides have valid arguments. not too much yin, not too much yang, somewhere in the middle we find our feng shui lol

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I agree that there needs to be room for both and that it should not be the exclusive provenance of either side. Both have some merits, but strict adherence to it is not a good idea. And some things (debtors' prisons, disenfranchisement for people who don't own houses or land, etc, etc) needed to be done away with. That's why the Founding Fathers included a way to change things.

They learned the lesson from England where changing royal policy was not very easy and often involved a lot of death.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

How about we break this left right BS that drives the us vs. them instinct? Two sides can't represent millions upon millions of people. Look where having "both sides" has gotten US. It's time to grow up America.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I did a study and it found that studies outcomes can be manipulated and misinterpreted at the same time.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
imo...

i have always felt that conservatives are the yin to the liberals yang. conservatives are the domineering paternal father figure type that refuses to ask for directions, is wary of all strangers and reluctant to any change that threatens the established power structure, they tend to think logically, are more apathetic and want to keep more of what is theirs and what they have earned and give where they see fit.

liberals are more motherly, open to change and different cultures, tend to think emotionally, be more empathetic and want to help the less fortunate almost to a fault i feel conservatives are more willing to put our futures in the hands of corporations and big business where i feel liberals would be happier giving the power to the working man/unions etc

i feel yin and yang should work with each other and not be stubborn towards each others viewpoints, both sides have valid arguments. not too much yin, not too much yang, somewhere in the middle we find our feng shui lol

This is well said, except for one point. I don't think either conservatives or liberals are more logical than the other. I see plenty of examples on both sides of the aisle of people being illogical. Conservatives like to use anger and paranoia to jump to conclusions about a situation while liberals can be overly emotional about an issue. Either way, logical isn't the domain of conservationism or liberalism. It is a tool that is misused by both sides while trying to beat the other side over the head by trying to say they are more logical.
edit on 12-3-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

The partisanism has gotten REALLY bad on ATS. People can't even honestly label historic movements as liberal or conservative anymore...

That's because ATS is a site for the uninformed, fearful and paranoid.

The OP's source is right.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I disagree. I'm informed, intrepid
and whacky.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

The OP's source is right.

So the study was about ATS, then?

Your fallacious logic on full display, as usual.

edit on 12-3-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

I disagree. I'm informed, intrepid
and whacky.

Why yes, yes you are.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

not to mention, our ancestor's way of life is far from what I grew up in, and what I grew up in is long gone and has been replaced with a whole new way of life. my grandmother had an old horse drawn carriage sitting in the carriage house when she died and, I imagine that she had taken many trips in that carriage in her time. they used to shovel the old coal ashes out into the garden, made real good fertilizer by what I was told. and, you don't want to know just how much it cost her parents to build that house it was probably less than most of yous are earning in a month.
eventually, electricty came around, that old house was adapted for it's use, cars replaced the carriage, ect. by the time I was born most families, not all had a car, not two or three, but one. much of my childhood my family didn't have a car, we all carried the laundry to the laundermat to wash, and believe it or not, that was much easier than the old washboards my grandmother used. and we all helped my mom when she went to the grocery store carry the groceries home... but then again, reading through my grandma's cookbook I think my mom had it easier than my grandmother did... since most of those recipes were for huge volumes that would be canned while we just picked up the small can of tomato paste we needed.
now?? we I never even got a driver's license till I was in my 30's most kids have them before graduation. instead of having to walk a half a mile to a mile to school, the bus picks them up at the door. and, of course, instead of one car sitting in the driveway, for many there is two or three. there's microwaves, crockpots, electric food dyhydrators, pressure cookers, frozen dinners, and if you just can't stand the idea of cooking there's a restaurant or fast food place within driving distance, don't want to drive, well, call for delivery!!!

there is nothing left to preserve, and the majority of people would not want to go back to those days!

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

So the study was about ATS, then?

Your fallacious logic on full display, as usual.

I'm not sure how you can comment about fallacious logic when you just asked a question you know the answer to and in which I said no such thing.

Of course the study was not about ATS, but it was about people that make up the majority on this site.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

They did not say ,

“Recognize dangers and prepare for them”..

They said “irrational fears”..

Aka fears that do not really apply to actual reality..

Such as a race war..

Such as door to door gun confiscation.

Shiria law comming to america..

Obama is a super secret Muslim from Kenya trying to destroy America...

Climate change is a vast conspiracy to make the gop look bad...

All the media , scientists, intellectuals, collage professors, exc, exc are all in a vast illuminati conspiracy to make the gop look bad..

Exc, exc, exc..

The article said IRRATIONAL FEARS..

Aka conservatives fall for BS propaganda a toddler could see through...

Well not a conservative toddler obviously. Lol

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

there is nothing left to preserve, and the majority of people would not want to go back to those days!

Of course not. And we can thank the progressives for that. Not the political progressives, but those that shunned fear and comfort to tread on to new ground.

Conservatism is repressive and keeps us tied to what we know.

That is not the way the world works and not how we move forward.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

You called ATS people all that study stuff, then used that to assert that the study was correct.

Check out some logical fallacy list(s), yo.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Terrific, well thought out post. I appreciate it. I guess I do not ascribe to L/R paradigm. It's too faulty to have much utilitarian value.

The fact someone looks at a body of data and draws what they want to hear from it is nothing new. The fact some are unable to recognize more may exist past what they draw or what they see is clearly off the mark from what was stated is also nothing new.

I do find the the blog suspect from the get-go. The author immediately seeks to confirm a preconceived notion. Sort of like the early archaeologists who headed into the middle east with a pick-axe in one hand and the Bible in the other, trying to marry the two.

In this case the linked studies are ignored holistically except for convenient bit and pieces, taken out of context, to paint the afore mentioned notion.

I am not a psychologist or any type of expert on the brain. However, when I see what the blog author has done I think "dishonesty". This is not someone I would trust. The fact this is being published in Raw Story versus some peer reviewed journal no one has heard of leads me to believe he knows what side of his bread is buttered. Gotta pay those bills, integrity be damned.

With regards to the content you alluded to in the original studies, I would agree with most of it. The older I get, the more experience shows me stuff goes wrong. I do not like being left holding the bag. Therefore, I try to foresee when things could go wrong and put control elements in place to hopefully avoid them or mitigate their damage. The Navajo had a saying: Coyote Waits. This is totally true. I would add 'Coyote Never Sleeps'.

I also understand I need to take time to smell the flowers. How to balance these takes wisdom. I am not wise yet but hopefully still on the path.

I find it very difficult to discuss something with anybody unwilling or unable to at least acknowledge every moment in every day requires active engagement. Avoiding anything factual, hiding behind labels, and calling someone a bigot or a racist or whatever without any proof as the pinnacle of an argument is nauseating.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

To be fair...

We saw race wars in 2016, lead by progressives.

If anyone criticizes Sharia law, "liberals" go completely out of their minds as a routine (see ben Affleck on bill Maher).

Did Obama not act like a Muslim sympathyzer? (see NASA's top goal was to make Muslim earth feel all warm and welcome)(see Afghanistan training manual troops can't criticize pedophilia or anything else about Islam)(see DNC identity politics surrounding old world Islam and nobody can criticize honor killing without "liberals" going completely out of their minds)(see Obama and Hillary using Al Qaeda as mercs in Syria, and "liberals" to this day not caring in the slightest)(see number of Muslims in Obama's cabinet, how they were selected merely for being Muslim instead of their actual merits to get the job [meaning given preferential treatment over non-muslims which includes every other non/religion out there])(see how he tried to designate Islam a "race")(see how he ordered FBI etc to back off from investigating, being too insensitive to Muslims)(see how he insisted we pay to mass import Syrian refugees without any screening)(see his EU open borders policy on mass migrant + refugee influx into Europe)(etc)(etc)(etc)

That all amounts to DE FACTO if I've ever seen it.

What's the saying, oh, actions speak louder than words. Well there we have both. But go on citing that example everyday as if it doesn't have an ounce of merit. And keep acting like Old World Islam needs to be nurtured and protected.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Seriously, the mud pit just needs to go.

I get that it generates hits and comments. But the mud pit has single handedly wrecked ATS.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz Agreed, and I don't really have much to agree on with ya but this I def do. Why is there a section where some rules don't apply? It takes away from ATS. I believe we should start a petition. I joined just as you and the majority of others to discuss conspiracy not politics.

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join