It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remodeling the Kitchen

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Sounds like a labor of true love, your wife is lucky!!!

To have a dream kitchen, with enough counter space, cupboards and other goodies!!!!
I hope we get to see the finished project!

Good luck!

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: rickymouse

But doesn't the vented backsplash require additional depth for duct work behind the stove? That, or duct work inside the wall?

Ours will be vented from the top, but I can tell ya it's going to cost a heck of a lot more than $600 bucks to exhaust this bad-boy! Just the hood alone costs more than that (like nearly 3x more). I'll probably hire a mechanical to do that work. There's some tricky duct work, a roof curb and a roof penetration required...and I do not do roofing (I just refuse to). Plus, there will be some custom stainless work inside too and I don't have a brake.

I used to say I'd never do drywall work (again) too, but here I am...doing drywall work. Many moons ago when I was still building houses I swore I'd never do drywall work again. I talked myself into it this time just because I love the framing work and the drywall isn't enough to warrant hiring someone to do it. Just two new walls and some knee-wall framing at the island.

Yeah, the back is a big three inch thick hollow rectangle that goes all the way up and ties to ductwork. That allows the heat behind the ovens and from the stoves to go up into the duct to the exhaust fan without coming into the room and making it hotter. I sold a long complete SS range hood I had from a restaurant I had years ago. I converted it into a light store. I gave away the stainless steal gas BBQ grill in it too, that could fit a dozen steaks on it but I had no use for it so I gave it to the local gun club. I do not know what they did with it, it was in a building over there but their hood was not big enough to cover it and it needed to be converted to propane for them to use it.

We had bought a new stove a year before I got that big stove, I figured I would wait till the other one wore out, darn, things last forever when you are waiting for them to die. Both of my daughters want my big stove, maybe I will clean it up and give it to one of them. They have kids, what do I need that big stove for, I have a wood cookstove in the diningroom, I cook soups on top and we use the oven in that quite a bit, so we already have two ovens.

I tend to get carried away with things, I have a big woodshop and two garages full of tools and supplies.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   

You, sir, are a prince! Hope she knows what she's got!!

Sounds like a lot of work, but should be great when finished, and you will have the added bonus of saying you did it all!

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

except that he'll use a whole gallon or two of mud, and I'm the finisher/sander/painter....

I'm usually the finisher as well and prefer now, if that's going to be the case, that I apply the mud too. The amount used and the feathering of the edges is key, IMO.
I truly dislike the job of finishing the drywall but love the end result when it's perfect.
Oh well, I'm usually the 'cut man' and the up and down the ladder guy too!

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I should have all you characters over to do mine.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Oh my gosh!
I would LOVE to work on your house. I recall you saying that the kitchen was the last remaining thing that needed to be done (?).
I've never done a 'fancy' kitchen remodel though

My luggage would be hysterical so, I'm going to assume you have tools. Ones that haven't been used in the basement?

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
Oh my gosh!
I would LOVE to work on your house. I recall you saying that the kitchen was the last remaining thing that needed to be done (?).

Yup, last room that needs restoration and although I am going a slightly different route with all new stainless appliances I intend on doing a copper ceiling and some other traditional touches in keeping with the home's Victorian pedigree.

My luggage would be hysterical so, I'm going to assume you have tools. Ones that haven't been used in the basement?

I have a full array of blood-free tools in the garage.

edit on 13-3-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

After you and the op finish your kitchen projects,how about
helping a little,old lady with her kitchen?

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
After you and the op finish your kitchen projects,how about
helping a little,old lady with her kitchen?

If you like you can have all the perfectly fine but very outdated stuff I'm taking out of mine.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I just need to have my walls and cabinets painted and the new door knobs
installed.You want to talk about dated...my master bath is dated,we're talking
1980's with pink flooring,antique brass fixtures and rose pink drapes.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I will be building a corner hutch along with kitchen cabinets starting this spring. Love a good project. Kick the tunes in and let er rip.
Good luck with your project and remember measure twice and cut once.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

...we're talking
1980's...

Same. Golden oak cabs and granite floors. Shoot me.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   

I wonder IF there were any spirits (of the paranormal variety LOL) in your house, could they attach themselves to said kitchen items and begin activity at their new location?
I just thought of you mentioning once, I could be remembering incorrectly, that there was some activity years ago?

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   

If they did it means they have no taste. I think they're partial to the rest of the house.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

My floor is vinyl with little pink squares,not granite!
Why waste ammo?

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

My floor is vinyl with little pink squares,not granite!
Why waste ammo?

Jesus, I think you just out-hideoused me.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

And to think that I didn't even mention the lighting in my bath either!
Hanging antique brass and glass-globes,like plant hangers!
I do have new lights to replace them they're still in a box.I have to get
someone over to hook them up for me.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

someone over to hook them up for me.

DB is free this weekend, I'm letting him out of my sock puppet drawer.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

If I lived close, I could show you how to do this and you would never need to ask anyone again. Replacing fixtures, installing fans etc is one of the easiest things to do. I was intimidated by electrical wiring initially but once you get it...you get it.
Curious if you all have a 'pay it forward' website there? There is a group on FB here and you could likely post that you needed some assistance and folks would be along shortly to help you out, on the cheap or better yet, often for free.
I would suggest snacks and beverages or a small monetary tip and word of mouth with your friends for a job well done goes a long way. We don't advertise in the traditional sense at all and could stay covered up with work if we wanted, all from word of mouth.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I wanted you to know that I appreciate the offer.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join