It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baltimore Cops Carried Toy Guns to Plant on People They Shot, Trial Reveals

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Very true SM

Breaks my heart to see this kind of news. Every damn time

From the incompetent cowards in Florida to revelations about planting toy guns in order to excuse murder. It would be easy to list how many non-LEOs commit these same crimes/actions, but the simple fact is that those with badges are expected to set an example. A demonstration of a strong character and immutable reverence for equal justice under the law. Not to act like a damned instruction manual for emulating junkie criminal POS killers

Such a shame to see this kind of behavior from any person in a sensitive position of public trust

edit on 3/12/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

If it's replicated far & wide, then that means it's systemic. Systemic corruption obliterates any notion of it only being "a few bad apples" that do this stuff.

What disturbs me is how far systemic corruption goes. Think about it...were these plants ever dusted for prints? do victims have gunpowder residue on their body or clothing after firing a shot? and where are these 'firearms' the criminals supposedly had and why weren't they submitted as evidence?

Methinks this goes much higher than the on the clock cop-forensic investigators, DA's...I have respect for the good cops but the bad cops should be arrested like the criminals they arrest, and so should crooked characters that devised this scheme.
edit on 12-3-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

all those 86+ shootings need to be reopened by state attorney generals office as homicide investigations and in light of this the families of the victims need to sue the crap out of city.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

Unfortunately the awards come from the city coffers, they should come from the forces budget, or even better would be the pension funds..want to see a mess clean itself up.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I agree with you completely. All people who have legal authority over the public should be held to a higher standard because they have so much potential to abuse the public they're paid to serve. For me, that goes for politicians, govt bureaucrats, parole officers, prison guards, and judges, as well. Giving them reduced liability for abuses of power only rewards that behavior.

And I'm positive that at least a different aspect of this story that's being overlooked is systemic, though I don't think the majority of officers actively engage in it. From the OP's Vice link, it also says the following:

Prosecutors say the squad, which was tasked with getting illegal guns off the streets, abused its power by robbing suspects and innocent people, raiding homes without warrants, and selling confiscated drugs, among other crimes.

Now I know for a fact that that goes on around the country. I've never been to Baltimore, yet I traveled extensively across the country back when I was in the underground hip hop business. And there were police in many locations who would demand a cut of profits or outright beat up and take the goods from people I knew. I mean phones, contraband, cash, shoes, studio equipment, etc.

They'd also come in clubs when we were performing or hanging out, shake down the owners, and allow the shows to continue if they got their cut, even when there was suspected illegal activity going on in the crowd. They'd kick in legal personal studios and suspected drug houses all the same, and would leave with either a bunch of arrests or a bunch of "seized assets", all depending on what deals they could squeeze out of the people involved. Some of my friends had their legally purchased guns and studio equipment taken in a similar "raid", yet no arrests were made. And others were minors when they were chased, beaten, had their stuff "seized", yet weren't arrested.

I've mentioned it before on ATS but everyone just called it a "tax" and considered it a cost of doing business. As in, pay the "tax" and they'll allow you to do business, or risk your word against theirs in court. But I have to reiterate that I don't think the majority of officers actively engage in this side of the "business". I'm saying that because I saw with my own eyes a disagreement between cops over how to handle a situation like that (sorry, not going into detail on that one though, heh heh).

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This news basically says you can't trust police period and that they're actually our enemy?
I was under the impression that they were supposed to stop bad guys not be the bad guys?
It really seems like the majority of police either engage in or accept criminal behavior within their ranks?
This is really really bad. I couldn't possibly expect parents to teach their kids to be anything but afraid of the police because of this b.s! No more respectful waves or smiles or kids asking you questions but just a bunch of scared starring faces wondering wtf happened to the law.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

A sergeant told the entire team to do this and not one person spoke up?

Or they did, and this investigation is the result?

I dunno. It shouldn't require a multi year investigation. Someone could've gone to the media right away and put this to a stop without gathering evidence for a year or more while more ppl die.

It almost doesnt seem worth the sacrifice to try to wait and gather evidence and follow it to the top, because the top guys never get busted anyway.

A sergeant? That's as high as this went, I guess... it couldn't be that the sergeant is taking the fall and covering for the very people who will decide his fate?
edit on 3/13/2018 by 3n19m470 because: inserted a grammatical error

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join