It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UK has hit rock bottom - detaining a US citizen because she was to interview Tommy Robinson

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Blasphemy - Sacrilegious rhetoric against God or what is sacred...

Not Blasphemy - Inciting hatred against someone/a group solely because of their personal Faith...

Please stop this bullsh*t.
No one has been locked up or detained for Blasphemy in the UK.

It would be worldwide news.

Twist it how you want. If I mock Islam or muslims in your country, I risk state punishment.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Yep.

ATS is full of idiots.

You don't get detained for nothing, the fact that nobody will come forth with evidence of her detention or the reasoning of why she was detained just tells me that something is seriously disingenuous about this.

Users and abusers... I'm just wondering if I could be paid to spread bs too, because if anyone in this thread is being paid then someone isn't getting their money's worth.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Not Blasphemy - Inciting hatred against someone/a group solely because of their personal Faith...

Twist it how you want. If I mock Islam or muslims in your country, I risk state punishment.

It's worse than that - if the state THINKS anything you say might be deemed as insulting then they will not only refuse you entry into the country, but detain you for 3 days separated from your travel companion/loved one - with you having no idea what has happened to them.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Hahahahaha!!!

Hahahahahahah!!!!!!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Ok, sure... But if you actually believe that, you are dopey as hell.

There are actually many, many very prominent figures in the UK who make a very good living literally doing exactly what you claim would invoke “State punishment”...
Basically, you live in a fantasy!

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
Yep.

ATS is full of idiots.

You don't get detained for nothing, the fact that nobody will come forth with evidence of her detention or the reasoning of why she was detained just tells me that something is seriously disingenuous about this.

Users and abusers... I'm just wondering if I could be paid to spread bs too, because if anyone in this thread is being paid then someone isn't getting their money's worth.

I would say a good definition of a useful is idiot is a person who buries their head in the sand and assumes the govt. could never do anything that is beyond reasonable. Authoritarian and fascist states rely on such useful idiots, at least initially, to keep the public in line. Perhaps you should start billing for your service?

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

It's worse than that - if the state THINKS anything you say might be deemed as insulting then they will not only refuse you entry into the country, but detain you for 3 days separated from your travel companion/loved one - with you having no idea what has happened to them.

I’m not sure who these people are, or what they’ve said, but censoring them will make them martyrs for whatever cause they are speaking for.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Hahahahaha!!!

Hahahahahahah!!!!!!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Ok, sure... But if you actually believe that, you are dopey as hell.

There are actually many, many very prominent figures in the UK who make a very good living literally doing exactly what you claim would invoke “State punishment”...
Basically, you live in a fantasy!

Louis Smith lands British Gymnastics ban after video appearing to mock Islam

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I think you're confused.

Mocking religion can be punishable IF how you mock it can incite violence or hatred... Probably a few other ways you could be prosecuted with ill intent towards a religion.

Mock any protected characteristics and you'll risk punishment too.

Blasphemy does not get a look in since the UK government is not a vanguard for ANY religion, it just ensures the right to practice your chosen religion.

It ensures your right to practice religion without persecution.

We have aspects of human activity protected by law, the free practice if religion is under this protection. We also have characteristics of humans protected by law, religious beliefs are under this protection.

There's no blasphemy, because if you look up these laws you'll notice it puts non above the other...

And trust me, the UK government or public services will not be showing preferential treatment on any human activity or certain characteristics, our government does not have public services elbow deep and flapping around on their arms like puppets.

In other words.

Blasphemy my arse.

I always find it funny when someone is trying to twist something in a way that'll bring a bad light upon my individual freedoms and rights.

Because Muslims?
Bwahhahaha funny stuff.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Box of Rain

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: Box of Rain

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: DISRAELI

What is this country coming to when we detain people for opinions???

I would like to see the official reason for the detention. It might not have been put in those terms.

I suspect it will have been under the public safety remit where they believe there is a risk of incitement of violence.

People can argue about the right or wrong of that, but I suspect many of those complaining would be the first to applaud if it was an Islamic preacher detained for the same reason.

Well one is just a journalist, with whom one can agree or disagree with. The other leads a group of people along their line of thinking. Should that Imam believe in Jihad against the west, at least some might develop those same beliefs. Of course in both instances proof is required before detainment. Its really apples to oranges, but nice try.

Nope completely comparable preaching hate is preaching hate

Prove that the journalist was preaching hate. And by that I mean the general standard of hate, not your own personal standard, because that would be nonsense in a debate.

I don't have to prove anything as I am not a lawyer involved in the case. I do know the rules for detaining someone require more than just they are going to interview someone.

Ok. Then do you think it is possible for the police (or even a government) to detain someone for reasons that violate those rules? Or are those rules never abused or broken?

Absolutely possible and if someone can provide any evidence, or even a compelling reason why they would in this case, then it would be worth discussing.

So far not happened.

I's rather hear a reason FOR someone being detained by the police.

What you seem to be saying is that you don't know the reason, but since the police must follow rules, that means there probably was a good reason. If that's the case, I'd like to hear the specific reason (i.e., under suspicion of what crime was she detained against her will?).

According to Miss Pettibone, the reason she was given was twofold:
1) she was the girlfriend of the man detained - her partner who was due to give a free speech talk.
2) she was going to interview Tommy Robinson.

There are those who assume she is lying and made the whole thing up. She will be releasing a statement and says she has the forms issued to her when she was detained and the reasons are on the form.

The last I heard, the UK border police will not comment.

There WILL be a record of her detainment, though. Those who just assume she made it up - because she is a conservative (no other reason) - are waiting to be told by CNN, Buzzfeed, Mother Jones, NYT et al before they will believe it.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

I find someone to be a complete idiot if they think that the UK government micro-manages all public services.

Because that's what your saying isn't it?

I see plenty of injustice here in the UK, most people don't care... Why do you care so much about this?

Why won't you tell us why she was detained, could you contact her and find out what grounds she was detained upon?

Because as I see it, ya'll are full of crap

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

“Ill intent towards religion”.

Blasphemy laws were on the books in UK until 2008. I’m not sure having no blasphemy laws for a few years constitutes a move towards freedom.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

British Gymnastics said that Smith had subsequently admitted to an independent panel that his behaviour was in breech of its standards of conduct.

That panel decided to suspend Smith for two months after taking into account another incident in June, in which he posted a zoomed-in photograph of a 16-year-old gymnast’s leotard-clad bottom on Instagram along with the comment “my sport has its moments” and a smiling emoji.

1) “British Gymnastics” and an “Independent Panel” are NOT the State...

2) Breeching “Standards of Conduct” comes with consequences in EVERY SINGLE PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT IN THE WESTERN WORLD!

3) Did you ignore the questionable behaviour he displayed on his Instagram page regarding a 16yr old girl, which was also “taken in to account”???

Basically, you’re still living in a fantasy!

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I think it might be you that is confused.
You are talking about laws, but LesMis' quote is accurate.

"If I mock Islam or muslims in your country, I risk state punishment."

As for blasphemy against Islam, that can most certainly incite hate, no? I assume you've been awake over the last few years?
So, yes, blasphemy can bring state punishment in the UK.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Lol

Omg poor Conservatives are being abused!

It doesn't matter where the news comes from, it matters where the source comes from... So it can be verified?

Anyways I'll patiently wait, if she was detained wrongfully and in prejudice then I'd happily fight her corner.

But other than that I'll hold my view point. I'm calling bs.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Let's not forget you lied about the prison Miss Pettibone was detained at in order to mislead people into thinking she had lied, so I'll pass on your definition of a fantasy land.

edit on 12/3/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Haha that's just twisting things.

So no I'm hardly confused.

I could equally say that when the US government executes prisoners that happen to be white then they are fulfilling the calls to Jihad.

Obviously I'm talking about laws, how the hell can something be punishable if not by law? I live in a nation not fantasy land.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Let's not forget you lied about the prison Miss Pettibone was detained at in order to mislead people into thinking she had lied, so I'll pass on your definition of a fantasy land.

Again, in case you missed my reply to you earlier, I didn’t use the same source as OddNutz, the source I used specifically stated “Male only”...

Odd’s source provided completely different information.

I said exactly what the source I provided says... So how was I lying, exactly?

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I have already sent her a note and asked her to comment on this thread - I do know she has all the paperwork.
She'll be releasing a statement.

I think you know well that this happened to this woman, but you don't really care as she is a conservative.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Again, in case you missed my reply to you earlier, I didn’t use the same source as OddNutz, the source I used specifically stated “Male only”...

Odd’s source provided completely different information.

I said exactly what the source I provided says... So how was I lying, exactly?

You misled people. You grabbed the first internet source you could, didn't check, posted it and concluded that Miss Pettibone is a liar - rather triumphantly I might add...and you were wrong. So if not a liar, then completely disingenuous. Take your pick.

edit on 12/3/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   
He’s right. There is nothing more infuriating than listening to someone from another country telling us what to think or who to vote for when they do not reside here. Besides, while it was an American citizen, the rule of travel is you follow the rules of the country you are visiting, not of your home country.
Let me see if I have this correct. You live in a place that has one camera for every 14 people and you are surprised when the government gets heavy handed? Really? Tyranny is a direct result of allowing governments too much freedom in how they treat their citizenry.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join