It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UK has hit rock bottom - detaining a US citizen because she was to interview Tommy Robinson

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+50 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
This weekend has been a low for the UK. Brittany Pettibone, a US author and conservative voice was detained at Luton airport and held for 3 days before being deported to Austria with her partner Martin Sellner. Her crime? She was going to interview Tommy Robinson and Sellner was going to give a speech about... free speech. What is this country coming to when we detain people for opinions???

Brittany has informed me they are keeping her in 'Colnbrook Bypass' prison London. Their number is 020 8607 5200. She said they told her to 'be careful around other inmates with her politics' & she STILL hasn't been able to speak to her boyfriend Martin. Who she is worried about pic.twitter.com/H1FMokGx3y — Caolan Robertson (@CaolanRob) March 10, 2018

For those that want to bury their heads in the sand and pretend that conservatives are not being targeted, I hope you can explain how the arrest, detainment and deportation of these people is not entirely due to political beliefs.

This can not be allowed to stand. I hope Miss Pettibone sues the UK govt. Refusing entry is one thing - actually imprisoning her for 3 days is quite another and there needs to be some repercussions.

edit on 11/3/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth
I'm interested and will come back

edit on 11/3/2018 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

FIXED

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I'm sure we could find a few of your friends on ATS that would be willing to sponsor you into the U.S..

No indenture, either....

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

I'm sure we could find a few of your friends on ATS that would be willing to sponsor you into the U.S..

No indenture, either....

I lived in the US for years, but left because it was getting so bad... but we're now worse.

Our govt is getting out of control.

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
People getting arrested for posts on FB or Twitter, Journalist getting arrested for potentially being "racially insensitive".

Remember, a lot of people wish the US was more like Europe/the UK.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
What is this country coming to when we detain people for opinions???

I would like to see the official reason for the detention. It might not have been put in those terms.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I'm not from your country, so I won't attempt to tell you who you are and what you should be doing. Because anything I say is only based on what my choice of media tells me. Because I'm not there.

Crazy concept huh.

+24 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

I'm not from your country, so I won't attempt to tell you who you are and what you should be doing. Because anything I say is only based on what my choice of media tells me. Because I'm not there.

Crazy concept huh.

Not sure how that is relevant. One of your own citizens was arrested and put in jail for 3 days without a crime - and told to keep her mouth shut about her politics whilst in jail for her own safety. I don't expect everyone to be knowledgeable about other countries, but this issue is rather straightforward. You are either for jailing people and putting them in danger for no crime, or you are against it.

Thanks.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

I would like to see the official reason for the detention. It might not have been put in those terms.

I suspect it will have been under the public safety remit where they believe there is a risk of incitement of violence.

People can argue about the right or wrong of that, but I suspect many of those complaining would be the first to applaud if it was an Islamic preacher detained for the same reason.

+13 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

I suspect it will have been under the public safety remit where they believe there is a risk of incitement of violence.

People can argue about the right or wrong of that, but I suspect many of those complaining would be the first to applaud if it was an Islamic preacher detained for the same reason.

Her partner was detained separately because Antifa had threatened violence at the event he was to speak at...and it was cancelled anyway so there was no reason to detain him. She was detained because she was going to interview Tommy Robinson.

Her partner is not a radical cleric calling for violence and death to non-believers and neither is she. Neither is an islamic preacher by the way. Don't conflate radicals with people who want to conduct interviews and give talks about free speech.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Well one is just a journalist, with whom one can agree or disagree with. The other leads a group of people along their line of thinking. Should that Imam believe in Jihad against the west, at least some might develop those same beliefs. Of course in both instances proof is required before detainment. Its really apples to oranges, but nice try.
edit on 11-3-2018 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-3-2018 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Her partner was detained seperately because Antifa had threatened violence at the event he was to speak at...and it was cancelled anyway so there was no reason to detain him. She was detained because she was going to interview Tommy Robinson.

For a link showing that? Not an opinion piece please, an actual confirmation of the reason.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

Well one is just a journalist, with whom one can agree or disagree with. The other leads a group of people along their line of thinking. Should that Imam believe in Jihad against the west, at least some might develop those same beliefs. Of course in both instances proof is required before detainment. Its really apples to oranges, but nice try.

Nope completely comparable preaching hate is preaching hate

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Prove that the journalist was preaching hate. And by that I mean the general standard of hate, not your own personal standard, because that would be nonsense in a debate.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Look up her past lol. That was not the reason & she is a suspect if fraudurary. Not in the papers nor will be but watch what comes out. She was more than what we thought, look at her eyes & news story, phycology tells it all lol what people say & actureally mean & what people look like but actureally do

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: SatansPride

Look up her past lol. That was not the reason & she is a suspect if fraudurary. Not in the papers nor will be but watch what comes out. She was more than what we thought, look at her eyes & news story, phycology tells it all lol what people say & actureally mean & what people look like but actureally do

Show us.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Ya right lol I will just watch time lol

+13 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

What hate was she preaching that warranted her arrest and imprisonment for 3 days?
Who exactly are you comparing her to? Who should be arrested next?
Your thinking is verging on pure fascism.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Prove that the journalist was preaching hate. And by that I mean the general standard of hate, not your own personal standard, because that would be nonsense in a debate.

I don't have to prove anything as I am not a lawyer involved in the case. I do know the rules for detaining someone require more than just they are going to interview someone.
edit on 11-3-2018 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

What hate was she preaching that warranted her arrest and imprisonment for 3 days?

See answer above.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join