It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elizabeth Warren refuses DNA test to prove Native American heritage

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
This is a conundrum.

If someone is benefitting from their racial makeup and it is decided to test them that starts down a slippery slope indeed.

This is not something as a society we probably should be doing.

I still dislike her and think she is lying, I'm not convinced she should be tested.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Nobody can force her to test, but if she wants to reach higher office she better be ready to prove it.

Its pretty obvious she benefited from her claim at some point, hopefully she fades away buts its pretty obvious she wont more is the pity.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Except Warren used her Native American status to aide her in getting into Harvard.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpartanStoic
This is a conundrum.

If someone is benefitting from their racial makeup and it is decided to test them that starts down a slippery slope indeed.

This is not something as a society we probably should be doing.

I still dislike her and think she is lying, I'm not convinced she should be tested.

Well that's a good point.

Also, these DNA tests aren't always able to pick up o an ethnicity that is more than 3 generations back. In fact, it is theoretically possible (again, because of recombination) to have little to no detectable DNA from even a given great grandparent in autosomal DNA.

Parents are 50/50 but grandparents are not usually split an even 25% for each grandparent, and the further back you go, the more uneven it can get. I wish people understood this. It's like shaking out mixed jellybeans from a jar. Just because the jar has 25% green, 25% red, 25% yellow and 25% pink does not mean that when you shake out a portion you are going to get an even 4 way split. And that's just the uncertainty of recombination, there's still the various issues with the tests for ethnicity themselves.

It's not as cut and dried as people think. They can certainly tell you who you are related to in their respective databases, but pinpointing ethnicity is trickier.

I know people want it to be that way, but it's just not. I can't imagine what would happen if a social precedent were set to "prove" ethnicity based upon these tests. Slippery slope indeed, in so many ways.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I absolutely despise Warren. I consider her a far-left liberal with enough corruption and little enough common sense circling her to attract a Clinton. I disagree with 99% of what she says.

But...

If she wants to say she heard her parents say she was part American Indian, fine. Who cares? I mean, it was fun to laugh at "Pocahontas," but it really was just a joke. She opened her mouth, spoke, and I (along with many others) laughed at her. It beats crying at her when she tries to do stoopid things with legislation.

I am proud of my Cherokee/Creek heritage, too. It don't make me qualified to be an Indian. It simply means that somewhere back in history, one of my ancestors married an Indian. I've seen the photo of her... and I don't blame that ancestor. She was pretty. I actually know little of the Indian customs and traditions, to my shame. Maybe someday I will learn more about that part of my heritage... but I'm not going to go get a DNA test just for that.

There is absolutely no reason for Warren to 'prove' anything about her heritage. It does not bother me one way or another. It will not change my view of her one way or another. It's the biggest non-issue I have heard in a long time, and considering today's political three-ring circus, that's saying something!

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

It’s about there is no credible proof.....

A lie is lie?

Like Onama’s Parents meeting at Selma?

nypost.com...

But while Warren won’t take the test, she also won’t shut up about being a Native American. On the Sunday shows, she repeated the story she’s been telling for years about her parents’ epic romance in which her father’s family opposed the match because of her mother’s supposed Indian ancestry.

It’s a sweet tale — but, given that no member of her family has ever shown up on a list of tribe members or any other birth, marriage or death records dating back to the early 19th century — it’s hard to imagine why the blonde-haired, blue-eyed senator’s grandparents would have rejected her mother on those grounds.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
trump gets away without providing his income tax, but a dem has to take a dna test???
get real!!!

Did Trump run around claiming to be related to John D Rockfeller to get elected?

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen>>>>> So she said she's like 1/16th Hekawi and used that to scam people. She's a politico and a liberal on top of that, did you expect honesty and integrity?

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I want to change my stance on Warren earlier in this thread.

Based on the linked article below I think she should be forced to qualify under a set of state guidelines as mentioned earlier in the thread AND undergo genetic testing.

Foxnews

It's clear she lied about her parents eloping as reason would dictate they wouldn't proudly announce they had, which is what they did.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux

It’s about there is no credible proof.....

A lie is lie?

Like Onama’s Parents meeting at Selma?

nypost.com...

But while Warren won’t take the test, she also won’t shut up about being a Native American. On the Sunday shows, she repeated the story she’s been telling for years about her parents’ epic romance in which her father’s family opposed the match because of her mother’s supposed Indian ancestry.

It’s a sweet tale — but, given that no member of her family has ever shown up on a list of tribe members or any other birth, marriage or death records dating back to the early 19th century — it’s hard to imagine why the blonde-haired, blue-eyed senator’s grandparents would have rejected her mother on those grounds.

But these DNA tests are not credible proof. That's my point and I have done my best to spell out why over and over and over

And over.

And over again.

I'll keep banging this drum even though it's not what you people want to hear.

DNA is an assortment of genetic sequences that have been inherited from many different ancestors. You double your number of ancestors with every generation, because everyone has two parents. Going back only ten generations (between 200 and 300 years) in your genealogy, you have 1024 ancestors.

Going back far enough, each of us has more ancestors than we have sections of DNA - which means that there are many ancestors from whom we have inherited no DNA, and that ultimately there will be many sequences of DNA that most people share.

Link

These tests for ethnicity are at this point more entertaining than conclusive. Also, because of the math of recombination with autosomal DNA there is ALWAYS doubt for trace amounts of an ethnicity. Even if you test every SNP and marker, ethnicities or measurable ancestry can get swamped by the dominant ethnicity present in only a few generations.

I get that she exaggerated for gain. I get why that makes people angry. I don't think that she should have done that. My point is that creating a precedent where people are obligated or even forced to "prove" ethnicity based upon tests that don't really prove anything in many circumstances (once more, especially those with trace amounts of a given ancestry being searched for, or for highly mixed individuals), is a profoundly dangerous thing to do socially.

Don't rely on these tests for trace amounts of ancestry. They aren't the be all end all that people think.
edit on 14-3-2018 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2018 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thirty6BelowZero
...where she then gave up on Republicans and began voting democratic.

Well that explains the attention and rancor.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Didn't she use it to further her career in in academia and then politics? Didn't watch the interview, much too tough for me, so I have to ask if "Meet the Press" tried to challenge her on that? Is that question stupid enough or what.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Corn, fish, deer meat, and perhaps a possum stew here and there? Don't laugh I know people that had to hunt possum to survive. However, I don't believe she has ever, ever, come even remotely close to that.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Well, Trump didn't claim to be related to the Rothchild's. Poko here has based much of her career on a lie of native blood and it is just calling her out some to show hypocrisy. You know, it is like when someone feigns outrage. No one wants to analyze her body fluids, believe me.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

That is your first thought? Tie to Trump somehow to denigrate? Wait, a 2-fer. You get to denigrate Trump and call everyone, wait for it ... racist! Just for calling out her hypocrisy that goes to the core of liberal virtual signalling lies. Do you want to make if fair, perhaps they both can take the test. That would be extremely hilarious if he winds up with native blood though.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

You are right, it really is a non story. However, it is fun to expose her hypocrisy. Which has a wee bit of value. What is the German word, Schadenfreude?

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

She doesn't but man would it be laughing ass off funny if she were a blue blood. The hypocrisy meters would blow its' collective mercury all over cape cod.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Bicent

She is related to Trump. Long lost sister of his grandfather from Germany who stayed behind to live off the remnants of the family's dwindling riches. Her kids made it to America, bought some land that had ancient Indian burial grounds on it, and the curse ensued to today.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

And I referenced there is no proof in her genealogy / lineage.

Cite or quote where I said anything about DNA?

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux

And I referenced there is no proof in her genealogy / lineage.

Cite or quote where I said anything about DNA?

The OP is about taking a DNA test.

I assumed you that's what you were talking about. My mistake.

It can be difficult to prove native ancestry genealogy because there was a time when it was dangerous and shameful to be considered native. Sometimes people hid or hid their kids. For example, if they children were part blooded, families would have the children stay with other families and pass them off as white. Largely abandoning them, but I guess that they figured it was better than the alternative. It makes things difficult to track down. Many American Indians wanted to avoid the Dawes Roles if they could.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join