It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elizabeth Warren refuses DNA test to prove Native American heritage

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Warren does not need a DNA test to claim Cherokee descent . A person has to have well documented lineal descent to be considered Cherokee . Which is pretty much tougher
Delaware requires 1/8th blood quantum.
So a "mixed" heritage does not qualify in either standard . A person would have to meet both standards to be proclaimed both.

To have been proclaimed a "minority" due to Native American heritage for any program would have required proof . Absolute proof.Otherwise , it is against Federal Law.

And therein lies the requirement for a DNA test as Warren had stated a direct lineage .

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Tell that to these judges who are changing peoples sex.

Simply by a ruling they can magically become a man or a woman.

not the same? possible but it is very close in legal terms.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

He mocks her because he thinks she lied to advance herself, the name is used because it's relatable. The way you explain it makes it seem as if calling them Native American would be derogatory.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

She lied.

She's a liar.

It's that simple.

But people will play with definitions, blur and obfuscate, in order to defend her because she's a leftist bitch.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: howtonhawky

Did she use this alleged ancestry to get preferential treatment in the past? If not, no issue.

If you can find evidence of it that passes muster, then I'll change my tune.

She was a minority faculty member at Harvard.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead

He mocks her because he thinks she lied to advance herself, the name is used because it's relatable. The way you explain it makes it seem as if calling them Native American would be derogatory.

how so?

characterizing it as 'relatable' is, i think, directly akin to why it's insulting. warren doesn't claim ancestry from the same tribe as pocohantas, even -- so it's only relatable to people who know so little of native matters that it's all one and the same to them.

i guess when we finally establish first contact with an alien species it'll be all cool to call them marvin the martian. relatable, ya know?

edit on 11-3-2018 by fiverx313 because: formatting fail

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: redhorse

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: Annee

Low samplings has nothing to do with it. If you have enough Native American DNA to be detected, it will be.

You are incorrect.

Feel free to argue with the linked article.

"Climate" Science 😍

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   

aka Fauxcahontas.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

aka Fauxcahontas.

gross. i'd show my native friend that but she already has enough aggravation from that kind of crap.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I personally liked, "Lie-a-watha" better.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

So what? Warren's not one, so it's not like I'm offending any Native directly. I am actually calling out her cultural appropriation.

PS, My NA husband finds it hilarious.
edit on 11-3-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Isn't this backwards?

Someone "appropriates" another culture.

We mock that person.

Yet the leftists run to the defense of this person.

I'm confused.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Isn't this backwards?

Someone "appropriates" another culture.

We mock that person.

Yet the leftists run to the defense of this person.

I'm confused.

You silly cat, it's not "appropriation" if the person identifies as whatever (apparently).

I must have missed the part where we fell out of reality and into this weird world where people can be whatever, and politicians can justify it by using words not provable facts.

I wish I had seen the sign that said "Welcome to the Far Side Universe" instead all I got was Lizzie Warren telling people what she tinks she is. I miss the days of having proof to prove things.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
a reply to: Gothmog

Tell that to these judges who are changing peoples sex.

Simply by a ruling they can magically become a man or a woman.

not the same? possible but it is very close in legal terms.

Per Federal Law you cannot illegally claim "minority" status to enter a program.
There is no law against claiming one gender or another...

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: redhorse

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: Annee

Low samplings has nothing to do with it. If you have enough Native American DNA to be detected, it will be.

You are incorrect.

Feel free to argue with the linked article.

"Climate" Science 😍

Really?

Neil deGrasse Tyson -- I'll take his knowledge over wannabe conspirators.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   

So what? Warren's not one, . . .

I always find it interesting when unknown "facts" are declared by posters

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I can’t stand Liarwatha

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It's OK if you're one of them. She only has the best of intentions.

link   
a reply to: rickymouse
DNA testing is not the great reveal that many people have been led to believe. Those little kits only measure a tiny portion of your DNA and do little to actually identify your true ancestry.

Having Native American DNA is different from having Native American ancestry. Native American DNA could be lost every generation and you could still have real Native American ancestry in your family history.

Genealogical DNA tests can’t tell you a specific Native American tribe you belong to. Nor can you use these DNA tests as a basis for tribal enrollment. And even if you had a family member that was considered to be Native American, your DNA results may not reveal any evidence of it. Only Native American tribes or families can determine whether to accept you as one of them, even if you have no Native American DNA or a lot of it. What’s more, the Native American diaspora is poorly sampled/studied because many indigenous populations refuse to test, making it challenging for these analyses to adequately detect Native American DNA. Moreover, these ethnicity admixture tests only provide estimates of your affinity (similarity) to reference populations chosen and labelled by each company. As such, the ethnic percentages in your DNA results doesn’t literally mean you’re related or have any genealogical connection whatsoever to that ethnic population. Currently most companies analyze 400,000 to 700,000 ancestry informative markers (aka SNPs) out of a potential 15 million (the whole genome has 3 billion base pairs) so your results may not be as specific as you expect. Sometimes during analysis of your DNA, there are no-calls, miscalls, deletions and insertions that may further negatively affect your ethnic admixture scores. Also be sure to join the NATIVE AMERICAN ANCESTRY EXPLORER FB group to discuss your results, genealogy and stories [recommended by genetic genealogist Roberta Estes 2016 blog here]. The good news is your DNA results will change as the science improves; until then keep a proverbial grain of salt handy.

Roots & Recombinant DNA

link   

So what? Warren's not one, . . .

I always find it interesting when unknown "facts" are declared by posters

As opposed to unknown "facts" claimed by one of your favorite politicians?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join