It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How powerful is the U.S. military? Are they underestimated?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by marinefan
Hell yeah laddy i want proof of that horse# let's see you give it,Any SBS or commanchio, mountain leader trooper would be too damn embarrased to have anything to do with you.

Really?
Right now I have my CST, 3* SCA and going for my level one coach.
Not the same level as most SBS people but getting there.

BTW pinata brain no i'm not wiser than a commando,or martial arts expert(see it is possible to type in the correct spellings, if you would just try) but then again i don't have to be one to know that you are a just a nother laughable kid full of crap what do you talk crap like this to get girls at school, or try to impress your classmates so they don't whupp your ass on the playground or after school

Yeah sure I do just you keep thinking like that, also my spelling is quite fine thank you very much.
Also I am not "full of crap" , dont be idiotic and try to involve atleast one insulting comment per line.

As for going through the training of the SBS yeah kayaking, and canoeing are important but before that you have to learn how to march drill,strip and clean weapons,marksmanship

Done done and done.

and the like the fact that you've discounted these shows you are babbling nonsense ...run along it's past youre bedtime.

Yes so I am, I admit it I am really just an argonat 9 year old with CST,3 star canoeing marksmen badge and an EL6 award.

Man they really do breed pansies and pinatas wholesale in haggis country don't they.

From what I've heard from RN and RM personel scots make up 60% of the Special operations groups personel.

And as for the russkies being good fighters how do you know watched enemy at the gates for the thousandth time, the finns, chechens, afghans would beg to disagree

Its well documented, the germans would rather fight americans than russians in combat during WW1 and WW2.
The finns are a great fighting force and specilised in artic warfare more than the dear ruskies and they didnt invade russia.
Also chechens are fighting a guerrilla war , the hardest war a country can fight. Also isnt the UK and US doing the same and haveing the same ammount of luck?
The aghans had a little help from outside sources, wonder who that could be??? cough US cough

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
But what proof can you give us of your oh so great triumphs to date eh? how about some nice pics that you could perhaps share with us,
i don't have to make any idiotic insults for the simple reason that your idiocy and propensity to tell tall tales shines or rather blackens the boards, hell i could say that i'm a SEAL or retired Ranger but not provide any proof that is solid or verifiable, for the simple reason that i'm sitting behind a comp, well you certainly sound an act like a 9 year old despite you being 18. Well the only time the Russkies won a war was during operation barborrossa...outside of rodina they are dead meat, and ever hear of vietnam the VC and NV got help from cough..cough.. ivan and the PRC

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
your trying to compare a MEU(SOC) and force reacon unit to 42 and 45 commando in one of youre previous posts damn kid you've got so much to learn......youre parents are probably wondering what they have done to deserve all of this, and chesty puller howlin mad smith as well as Al gray are laughing their heads of

BTW did you know that when the SEALS and force reacon mounted covert ops in the pacific rim and africa and latin america i accompanied them and threw a grenade into a hut in a remote pacific islet which was a actually a UFO lab we knocked a #load of AQT and martians who were in a secret joint conspiracy to dominate the world and that president Bush invited me to the white house and presented me with the CMOH my missions and exploits and derring do are all classified of course and require omega++alpha clearance

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
PLEASE PROVIDE THE proof WE GOT WHIPPED BY Afgahns how many soilders did we loos? Chechens my my YOU'VE been watching to much CNN YOUR own U.S. Time magazine reporters are in Chechnya if we were lossing /getting beet up (it's all the same thing) we wou;d have been pushed out of Chechnya a long time ago
the war HAS been over for 2 years the only thing they can do now is terrorist attacks here and there once every 2- 3 months. P.S. L.A. Max please provide the PROOF that Soviet Saloirs/ Destroyers were not as powerful, (NO YOU CAN not use simple words saying this and that I want CROSS REFERENCES THAT SHOW SOVIET NAVY WAS WEAKER) it's funny When I read JANE's how they say different from YOU about what was less powerful that what when it come to Soviet-US Navies

[edit on 7-3-2005 by SiberianTiger]

[edit on 7-3-2005 by SiberianTiger]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Certainly comrade tigeranalov your ship building techniques are so excellent that a sub called the Kursk(ever hear of it) sank quicker than limey monstrosity called titanic , and a missle cruiser peter the great, great man worthless barge had to turn back to port to st vodkaburg cuz that rustbuckets engines were about to conk out and came dangerously close to having an explosion, see now thats what happens when you put to see in a ship that belongs to a navy that has more vodka than sense

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:33 AM
link   
and oh yeah i forgot the war is over courtesy of your little pogrom against the chechens, i didn't get it from time or CNN there is something called common sense if you RODINA IS THE GREATEST IN THE WORLD....BURP....BURP types weren't so tanked on vodka 24/7 you'd know what it means BTW loved the way you handled beslan and the moscow theatre seige...such class tact professionalism and skill ivan the terrible ,as well as iron feliks would be so proud especially when he wasn't sober ...yes indeed my intoxicated comrade RODINA will conquer all before her.. DAS VDANYA

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
What's with the pissing contest between military groupies? This is an international internet forum. Everyone has the right to speak (within TOS). Who gives a crap if you can field strip an M16 while rubbing your stomach and patting your head? Save that stuff for your Tom Clancy forums or something.

Sometimes I think there are people who join the military for some perceived respect they find it difficult to earn in normal society. Respect is earned, not issued.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   

But what proof can you give us of your oh so great triumphs to date eh? how about some nice pics that you could perhaps share with us,

Sure, no problem when do you want them?

i don't have to make any idiotic insults for the simple reason that your idiocy and propensity to tell tall tales shines or rather blackens the boards,

I aint telling no "tall tales" you semm to be the one doing so, I still see no proof of a winter vomitting bug that you say supposedly infected 45 comando.

hell i could say that i'm a SEAL or retired Ranger but not provide any proof that is solid or verifiable, for the simple reason that i'm sitting behind a comp,

Yeah you could but most likely would be found out or laughed at since no SF operator tells people they are ex special forces.

well you certainly sound an act like a 9 year old despite you being 18.

18?
I've been entirely civil , you've been the one behaveing like a 9 year old.

[qutoe]
Well the only time the Russkies won a war was during operation barborrossa...outside of rodina they are dead meat, and ever hear of vietnam the VC and NV got help from cough..cough.. ivan and the PRC
Yeah and america did so well during vietnam didnt it.

Originally posted by cargo
What's with the pissing contest between military groupies? This is an international internet forum. Everyone has the right to speak (within TOS). Who gives a crap if you can field strip an M16 while rubbing your stomach and patting your head? Save that stuff for your Tom Clancy forums or something.

Sometimes I think there are people who join the military for some perceived respect they find it difficult to earn in normal society. Respect is earned, not issued.

I know cargo, This guy just attacked me unprovoked!

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I apoligize for re-activating a 2 year post. i have to do a project for my school over the summer, and it related to world economic and military powers. i found this thread and decided to add some of my thoughts on this.

America is the lone, world super power. Russia once was, it was the 1st super power, America was 2nd, but Russia's time have come and gone basicly, there forces are obsoleet and decaying, and are of low quality.

Russia sustained 50,000, fatal (dead) casualties in Afghanistan while pulling out, the terrorists sustained only 15,000.

The Russian Choppers, mainly there attack helicopters, are a piece of #. they need to take of like a plane there so heavy, and cant turn to hard or they cut off there own rudder.

The Russian Navy has no real power left, exept what theyve got left of there subs. the Russian surface fleet has no Carriers, Battleships, or Cruisers, and the remaining Destroyers, Frigates, and Corvettes are old, and have out dated tech on them.

The Russian Air Force is very cheap and of low quality, im not going to go into that....

look up anything iv said on wiki, google, yahoo, etc.

Also, as i said, Russia is no longer a Super Power, and is in about 4th place in World Power Satus.

Iraq is imporving, the Marines, Navy, and especialy the U.S Air Force is FLYING in terms of recruitment, tech, resaerch, and success. Iraq is now democratic, and the Taliban and Al Kaeda, while still atlarge, have suffered extreme casualties.

The Iraq police, Swat, and military have been under heavy training, and have, themselves, been very succesfull at taking out terrorists.

I believe that, if we went into Iran and whoever, and unleashed everything we have, Laser Weapons, new planes, missiles, etc, tech that allmost noone else has, exept the UK and Isreal, would crush the enemy.

Look up the Current, and near furture tech of the U.S yourselves guys, i dont have days to type this....

Also, the next Super Power is believed to be China, since the EU are having alot of trouble coming together.

Iv studied ALOT into history, and am joining the marines as a officer when i graduate from Virginia Tech.

Also, im a big fan of military history, tech, weapons etc, and know alot about this

Also, since its been 2 years, i bet theres alot more to talk about anyway.

Also, just to remind people, the U.S isnt the only country in Iraq and Afghanistan, and as iv said, both have had major succes's in both training there police, and military, bringing deplomicy, and destroying taliban and al kaeda forces

btw, whoever said they wanted a comparison of U.S and Russian Destroyers....do i need to bother? America has much more money and tech, and have outfitted the U.S Destroyers with alot of everything, missiles, torpedoes, guns, sensors, etc etc etc.

Also, while Russia has 2, very old, slow, and low tech equiped, Carriers ( and arent really even sonsidered carriers, there main attack is with missiles, not planes and helicopters) the UK Are launching 2 new, and there 1st, Nuclear Carriers, while only abou 65,000 tons, when compared to the American 100,000 ton carrier (wich is allmost twice the sice btw) they are powerfull.

Even France has Carriers, as do Inida, and China tried to buy one, but couldnt, so they are building one themselve, but have had setbacks for allmost 20 years.......also, America is launching 3 New Super Carriers, equiped with laser weapons, smaller crew, but bigger ship, more automated, and far stronger defensize and offensive weapons, armor, and other tech/weapons

Basicly, the UK and America, will Allied, are the most powerfull forces on the planet, with no rivals. Even if America was alone, it wouldnt loose much of its power if it didnt have the UK. The UK depends on the U.S, not the other way around.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I dont think Canada is a joke at all. They could have a army of 10 people and nobody in their right mind would ever think of invading Canada.

It would seem... How many do they have in their military now? A grand total of 20?
Oh, don't forget the Bounties....

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Anyway, seriously... Being someone who actually served in the U.S military, I can tell you that while we are powerful, I think it is exaggerated. As Iraq is showing, we're not capable of fighting a two front war!!

The Clinton administration had a lot to do with the weaking of U.S military might. I don't know exactly how many bases and such were shut down during the Clinton term, but it was many.

[edit on 14-8-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
It would seem... How many do they have in their military now? A grand total of 20?
Oh, don't forget the Bounties....

Comments like this make me wonder why we are in Afghanistan helping America in it's "yer with us or agin us" War on Terror.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Iran and Syria better think twice about getting tough with the lone military super power. We might lose more men then Iraq but they would both lose.

This reminds me of Vietnam. We didn't win then... and I hate to say it I don't think we won in Iraq... sure we took out Sadaam, but people are still getting killed on a daily basis by insurgents, etc. Plus we are still there(even tho I think we want to completly take over so we can call it ours just for the oil). My Uncle who was in the ARMY, loyal to his country and supports the troops dosen't think we should be over there and said the only reason we were going there was the oil when all this first started. When asked if called back to active duty would he go he said yes, but not for the president or the oil... but to protect his men and try to help the people over there.

But, I do belief we can kick some butt... but I think we might spread ourself too thin if we fight on more than one front. I think they would reinstate the draft because since the Iraqi war recruitment in the Military has gone down.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Iran and Syria better think twice about getting tough with the lone military super power. We might lose more men then Iraq but they would both lose.

We can fight wars on a much larger scale then we are doing now but it might require a draft.

N Korea I think S Korea can take them without any help from the US.

s korea to take n korea are you mad! north korea has about 10,000 artilary cannons facing at s korea they would easily run over s korea, s korea would need the support of usa there is no way they could take n korea on there own n koreas army is massive with large array of long range missiles.

iran and syria hmmm realy i think usa could win but oh yea irans army was badly damaged in the iran iraq war supported by usa, but i think iran could give usa a run for its money they have a good and stong air deffence system which a russian general has said it can repel a us attack also they posses some tor 1 missile systems which will make things a bit uneasy. but mostly if war was to happen irans army would break up like you see in iraq but alot more dangerous but dont forget they do posses long range ballistic missiles unlike iraq iran will use them if threatened.

iran and syria together yes they proberly would lose but america would pay a huge price.
technolgy is not always reliable look at iraq a few ieds for about $200 are destroying high tech hardware so yes the us does hav a weekness and they are not as strong as everyone thinks china has the largest army and airforce whcih would easily run over usa look back at the battle of bulge or stalingrad were russian t34 over came the well armed german tigers the russians had numbers which won over technolgy.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Read the Art of War. This will explain general tactics that are followed, but if what we are speaking of is pure power. If the US wanted to, it could level just about any country it wanted by air, land or sea in a matter of hours from conception.

Occupation of a country is not the same as obliteration. A perfect example is the Crusades in which the Christians could not keep the holy land they conquered and eventually left.

The US military is not without soft spot nor weakness, but I feel less confident each day that if there is a terror attack, what ifs????

What if there is a terror attack on the US, in say, 3 cities. Small nukes or dirty bombs, immediatly traced back to Al-Qeada. 3 days after the attack we have word that OSama and co and in the hills of Pakistan.

Do we send B-2's? ICBM's? sub-based nukes? We have the power but in the end no one can occupy a country that wants to be it's own entity. Look at history. They used to have to jsut kill everone in the settlement.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
At one time...VERY powerful. The general consensus was that in the early 90's the US military was said strong enough to take on the REST of the worlds forces at one time and it would be a "good" fight with the US winning (non-nuclear of course).

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Serum39

That is what boot camp is for. What makes you think that the people who feel obligated to enlist are any better off than a random sample. And do you think 10 or 20 or 30 years ago the high schools were filled with drug free? Pyscially fit, disciplined soilders awaiting orders?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by justinxc

well you have to keep in mind that america has been a pretty blood thirsty country from it's very inception. we average a serious war every 20 years, we have has a lot of practice at this is basically what im saying.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
So far US seam wery strong,because they have only attacked nations who dont have much to defend them self with. Afghanistan has never had a air force , navy or anny tec. to take up a fight with. And Iraks airforce wasent much to brag about. The only thing Irak had was people with AKs.

Wouldent call it close to a even fight at all.

But the >US agains Europe or China and Russia would start to even the ods a bit.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

what are you talking about, that made no sense....

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join