Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

How powerful is the U.S. military? Are they underestimated?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Anyways, back to the topic of How powerful is the U.S. military? Are they underestimated?

Is the US underestimated? Probably not too much. Just check out what Iran and N. Korea are doing. They want Nuclear weapons, because they know it's the only way that they can have any influence on what the US does. Not that the US is scared of their small nuclear arsenal, but that international pressure to keep the nukes from being used will influence the US.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SiberianTiger
Russia don't need nukes man U.S. only has 650,000 active duty troops and 200,000 reservist, Russia has 988,100 actve duty troops and 20 Million reservists, so if U.S. ain't gonna have a draft right now 2005 you can't defeat us conventionally.

The Russian military is rusting away. So, they have 988,100 soldiers, so what. What are they going to fight with and how are they even going to get to the fight? I'm sure this is very hard for you to come to grips with, but the 'glory days' of the Soviet military are over. Dreams and wishes won't bring them back. It takes money, which Russia has very little of these days, and remember the U.S. is paying the Russians a lot in subsidies. This money would be gone in any conflict making the Russian cash situation much worse.

Stick a fork in the Russian military - it's done.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
What type of a question was that everybody did you hear his question, the 988,100 are ACTIVE DUTY troops if they are active troops that means these ARE the ones who will fight

[edit on 3-3-2005 by SiberianTiger]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   

What type of a question was that everybody did you hear his question, the 988,100 are ACTIVE DUTY troops if they are active troops that means these ARE the ones who will fight

[edit on 3-3-2005 by SiberianTiger]

It looks like everyone but you read my question.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
Anyways, back to the topic of How powerful is the U.S. military? Are they underestimated?

Is the US underestimated? Probably not too much. Just check out what Iran and N. Korea are doing. They want Nuclear weapons, because they know it's the only way that they can have any influence on what the US does. Not that the US is scared of their small nuclear arsenal, but that international pressure to keep the nukes from being used will influence the US.

The US military is , "disunderstimated" as the US president put it.
Iran and N. Korea are doing it to remove any threat from any country attacking them.
The US is scared of nukes, its the only real thing that evens the tables.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
No my friend I know exactly what your trying to say, your trying to say of the 988,100 troops how many of them will be able to actually engage in a war, thats what your trying to say AND what I said is ALL.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Well, when people try to use the incidents going on in Iraq to explain how the U.S. has weak military, they are simply wrong.

Why? Because Iraq is a police action. Take and hold. We have to be politically correct..

If the U.S. was to fight an ACTUAL WAR, with no restrictions and just with one goal in mind:

To destroy the enemy?

The U.S. would win hands down.

I believe many people underestimate the U.S. though, but they do it, like it was said, at their own risk.

-wD

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Siberian Tiger - It is not a secret that the Russians are rusting away - honestly. They aren't a major super power any more. They are still a poor ex-communist nation who are trying to come to grips with the modern world. They are still poor farmers. These are the men that fight in their wars. They cannot compare to the U.S. in military strength. They may be powerful in comparison to the world, maybe.

-wD

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
US is a chess game system, although trained to be a power house when all pieces are in position. Each piece is multy capable of taking out their fair pieces of queens (big nuke carring ships), kings (osamas), bishops (tanks), ect.

JUST remember. we are a diplomatic machine. if there are anymore hitler armies out there, its us. zhikhil (crappy german)

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Please provide the 1. Number of active duty troops in the U.S. Arm forces including those in Iraq. 2 Please provide the number of Operational Fightercraft and bombers in the USAF/NAVY. 3. Please provide the number of Tanks. 4. And the Number of Warships/ Destroyers/Cruisers/Battle ships/Subs/ Aircraftcarriers, all thought I do know U.S.A. has more than us when it come to the NAVAL WAR SHIPS, BUT IN other aspect we are just as powerful if not more.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
So, they have 988,100 soldiers, so what. What are they going to fight with and how are they even going to get to the fight?

Not to get in the middle of a Russia vs US argument (we all know who is better
), but Centurion brings up an EXTREMELY important point that most people never even consider when talking about warfare.

That is logistics.

Logistics are THE key to ANY war. If you can't bring your power to the enemy, you can't fight. If you can't feed and suply your men, they can't fight.

This is one of the MANY key areas that the US has over ANY country.

The US, between the AF and Navy, can bring its fire power to the enemy. We can suply our troops and transport our troops/material more so then any other country in the world.

Think about it. ANY time you talk about the US vs whoever, it is ALWAYS the IS on the offensive. It doesn't matter if you are talking about Iraq, Iran, North Korea, China, or Russia. Why is that? It's because NO ONE can bring their army to bear on the US.

Thats all you need to know.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Like I asked but your to afraid to answer How many Planes tanks Subs/Soilders does U.S. have.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Like I asked but your to afraid to answer How many Planes tanks Subs/Soilders does U.S. have.

You can easily find that online......lets just say lots, but the numbers are getting smaller especially during the 90's.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Originally posted by marinefan
nice pics this were during operation ptarmigan, go check the BBC or daily telegraph archives online and you will know what i'm saying winter vomiting disease struck just before operation condor when the Aussie SAS came under fire it took you lot 11 hours to get to the firefight area(rapid reaction force my ass)by that time AQT were long gone other highlights include storming empty caves for the benefit of the cameras as well as blowing up a # load of explosives that it turns out belonged to a allied warlord and was going to be used to arm the afghan army, the royals were more interested in trash talking the americans than doing their damn job

Ok firstly the RMC is a rapid reaction force, can you mobilise a company in less than 24 hours and have them any where in that time period?
Also 11 hours to get to a spot with 63kg (138lb) flak jackets and packs the men were carrying posed another problem, as did the landmines, the rough terrain and freezing temperatures.
Now tell me that is a "walk in the park"
And add to the fact there are 2 operation condors, the assasination one and the support one.
Look Scatman they were on ready alert in case just one of these incidents happened as for all that gear they were carrying so they are trained and organized precisely so that they can respond effectively weather and conditions on the ground not withstanding the QRF for the 10th mountain and 101st airborne have responed to situations in shorter times than that.

I have looked up and I see no "11 Hours waiting time" Hell the MOD and several sources jut say , "The operation was intended to destroy enemy forces in the area and the infrastructure supporting them. The Australian patrol engaged the enemy on 16th May, after coming under fire from machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades, the patrol called in air support and casualties were inflicted on the enemy. Early the next day, additional ground forces joined them including members of 45 Commando Group. By 18th May all four companies of 45 Commando plus their supporting Royal Artillery battery were in the area. Munitions discovered in the area after the fire fight were disposed of safely"

BTW you didnt control afghanistan all you did was whine about the 10th mountain division screwing up while you ran around in circles with entertaining operation names like snipe and condor ptarmigan etc.
and remember there is no way that the royals even though they are a damn sight better than the lil'limey army could have marched on to baghdad like the USMC ,so get it straight kid you'll grow smart that way

Yes .....right...and let me ask you who was it involved in the military operation that saved a CIA's mans life?

Oh btw.

In a remote area of the Afghan mountains at an altitude of between nine and thirteen thousand feet high over 1,000 personnel from 45 Commando Group were engaged in Operation Snipe from 2nd May 2002. The troops were supported by Chinooks of No.27 Squadron, RAF, and local Afghan forces. The aim of the Operation, codenamed Snipe, was to search and clear the area which was believed to be a base used by al-Qaeda and Taliban forces.
The area, in the southeast of the country was investigated by Coalition forces, with the aim of searching, clearing and destroying any terrorist infrastructure located there and render it safe for aid operations to the local population.

During the operation a major cave network was discovered that contained a huge arms cache. Over 100 mortars, a hundred anti-tank guns along with hundreds of rocket-propelled grenades, anti-personnel mines, artillery shells and rockets as well as thousands of rounds of anti-aircraft and small-arms ammunition. Demolition charges were placed and the entire complex was destroyed.
The successful conclusion of Snipe was announced on 13 May

So finding a hidden cache is not helping?

Also can YOU operate at 10,000ft above sea level effectively?
This happened....
A US fighter plane in Afghanistan accidentally bombed a group of Canadian troops, killing four soldiers and injuring eight others during a routine training exercise near the southern city of Kandahar on Thursday.
Tell me that is effective.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Ok i'll take this from the top
first what you forget is that despite the gear they are trained and organized in such a way so they can deploy to an area at a moments notice
hell the QRF's of the 101st airborne did so in operation mountain lion.

the 11 hours fiasco did happen if those MOD press statements ignore it then it only shows how they do not want to admit what a prize f*ck up it was, no surprise considering how at first your Brig Lane said that operation anaconda was a prize screw up and then claimed that it was a stunning successs he was such a motor mouth that at first he said that major combat was all but over and then launched snipe incidentally he was canned, you'll have to do better than rely on that official MOD crap ever heard of something called using your own common sense and intuition. As for altitudes of 9 to13 thousand feet, our MEU's and other units do so every damn day it's just that the media ignores it cuz it's more interested in michael jackson's various perversions and the latest car bombing in iraq.

Oh and as for the CIA clowns rescue what happened was that our friend was a moron who lost his head the SBS team just happened to be the closest near him while the limey media has made a big hurrah about it there has been no mention by the U.S. or other foreign media. That blue on blue involving the Canadians was tragic and i was very sad but that is totally unrelated to this so what the hell is your point exactly. I know that this is taking the topic off a tangent but did you hear how in northern iraq a SBS patrol lost it's vehicles and weapons and thus the iraqis not beliving allah's several blessing'son them used one of the stinger SAMS to shoot a F-15E strike eagle down, i hear tell that the new nickname for the SBS is shaky boat squadron. Been reading a little too much Andy Mcnab heve we.

You have not responded to the winter vomiting disease and the fact that they did not smash the remnants of AQT(they were too busy running around chasing ghosts see) as they bragged they would, no wonder you got walloped more times than the Russians in Afghanistan.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Russia don't need nukes man U.S. only has 650,000 active duty troops and 200,000 reservist, Russia has 988,100 actve duty troops and 20 Million reservists, so if U.S. ain't gonna have a draft right now 2005 you can't defeat us conventionally.

The Russian military is rusting away. So, they have 988,100 soldiers, so what. What are they going to fight with and how are they even going to get to the fight? I'm sure this is very hard for you to come to grips with, but the 'glory days' of the Soviet military are over. Dreams and wishes won't bring them back. It takes money, which Russia has very little of these days, and remember the U.S. is paying the Russians a lot in subsidies. This money would be gone in any conflict making the Russian cash situation much worse.

Stick a fork in the Russian military - it's done.

Well said the Ruskie military is a paper tiger more than anything else the rate of desertions is staggering and apparently most of the best weapons are sold abroad and are not sent to frontline units Russia is increasingly resorting to bluster and threats to scare and convince the west that it still is in the game, of course things aren't helped by the fact that there is an inbred culture of brutality on the part of officers and NCO's within the military.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   

first what you forget is that despite the gear they are trained and organized in such a way so they can deploy to an area at a moments notice

If you mean while on an operatin yes, if you mean straight from normal peace time conditions then HELL NO!
Yeah and you can climb hills of 11000 feet in a "moments notice".

the 11 hours fiasco did happen if those MOD press statements ignore it then it only shows how they do not want to admit what a prize f*ck up it was,

Mate, I looked up mutiple sites, I didnt even take that off the MOD site.

no surprise considering how at first your Brig Lane said that operation anaconda was a prize screw up and then claimed that it was a stunning successs he was such a motor mouth that at first he said that major combat was all but over and then launched snipe incidentally he was canned, you'll have to do better than rely on that official MOD crap ever heard of something called using your own common sense and intuition. As for altitudes of 9 to13 thousand feet, our MEU's and other units do so every damn day it's just that the media ignores it cuz it's more interested in michael jackson's various perversions and the latest car bombing in iraq.

Okey lets see your guys go out every day and deploy into 11000 metre high hills, doing section attacks, wearing full kit?
That would mean the ENTIRE USMC is on the west side of the USA, I dont see no 11,000 metre high hills on the west or central US.

Oh and as for the CIA clowns rescue what happened was that our friend was a moron who lost his head the SBS team just happened to be the closest near him while the limey media has made a big hurrah about it there has been no mention by the U.S. or other foreign media.

Actually there was, how could it be "someone who lost his head"?
A terrorist ran out with a hand grenade and took out a large number of guards.
The NCO and that where yanks but the SBS where the ones who actually got him.

That blue on blue involving the Canadians was tragic and i was very sad but that is totally unrelated to this so what the hell is your point exactly. I know that this is taking the topic off a tangent but did you hear how in northern iraq a SBS patrol lost it's vehicles and weapons and thus the iraqis not beliving allah's several blessing'son them used one of the stinger SAMS to shoot a F-15E strike eagle down, i hear tell that the new nickname for the SBS is shaky boat squadron.

Actually I just noticed it when reading the operation below condor, and fine you dont want to go there fine we wont.
Also an SBS patrol out gunned and outmanned HAS to retreat otherwise it will get slaughtered.
Or would you rather have service men die heroicly yet wastefully defending thier equipment.
Yeah from andy mctwat, the guy who most of the SAS hate.

Been reading a little too much Andy Mcnab heve we.

I hate the guy so no.

You have not responded to the winter vomiting disease and the fact that they did not smash the remnants of AQT(they were too busy running around chasing ghosts see) as they bragged they would, no wonder you got walloped more times than the Russians in Afghanistan.

YEAH SO WE DID!
Funny there is NO mention of a "winter comiting disease" in the MOD or on the net....i smell bovine excriment.
No because alquida ran away, also did the US get any alquida?
The russians went into afgahnistan and where fighting the US supported terrorists, unrelated.
Mind you all those US weapons they have no wonder its hard to find them.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

If you mean while on an operatin yes, if you mean straight from normal peace time conditions then HELL NO!
Yeah and you can climb hills of 11000 feet in a "moments notice".

the 11 hours fiasco did happen if those MOD press statements ignore it then it only shows how they do not want to admit what a prize f*ck up it was,

Mate, I looked up mutiple sites, I didnt even take that off the MOD site.

no surprise considering how at first your Brig Lane said that operation anaconda was a prize screw up and then claimed that it was a stunning successs he was such a motor mouth that at first he said that major combat was all but over and then launched snipe incidentally he was canned, you'll have to do better than rely on that official MOD crap ever heard of something called using your own common sense and intuition. As for altitudes of 9 to13 thousand feet, our MEU's and other units do so every damn day it's just that the media ignores it cuz it's more interested in michael jackson's various perversions and the latest car bombing in iraq.

Okey lets see your guys go out every day and deploy into 11000 metre high hills, doing section attacks, wearing full kit?
That would mean the ENTIRE USMC is on the west side of the USA, I dont see no 11,000 metre high hills on the west or central US.

Oh and as for the CIA clowns rescue what happened was that our friend was a moron who lost his head the SBS team just happened to be the closest near him while the limey media has made a big hurrah about it there has been no mention by the U.S. or other foreign media.

Actually there was, how could it be "someone who lost his head"?
A terrorist ran out with a hand grenade and took out a large number of guards.
The NCO and that where yanks but the SBS where the ones who actually got him.

That blue on blue involving the Canadians was tragic and i was very sad but that is totally unrelated to this so what the hell is your point exactly. I know that this is taking the topic off a tangent but did you hear how in northern iraq a SBS patrol lost it's vehicles and weapons and thus the iraqis not beliving allah's several blessing'son them used one of the stinger SAMS to shoot a F-15E strike eagle down, i hear tell that the new nickname for the SBS is shaky boat squadron.

Actually I just noticed it when reading the operation below condor, and fine you dont want to go there fine we wont.
Also an SBS patrol out gunned and outmanned HAS to retreat otherwise it will get slaughtered.
Or would you rather have service men die heroicly yet wastefully defending thier equipment.
Yeah from andy mctwat, the guy who most of the SAS hate.

Been reading a little too much Andy Mcnab heve we.

I hate the guy so no.

YEAH SO WE DID!
Funny there is NO mention of a "winter comiting disease" in the MOD or on the net....i smell bovine excriment.
No because alquida ran away, also did the US get any alquida?
The russians went into afgahnistan and where fighting the US supported terrorists, unrelated.
Mind you all those US weapons they have no wonder its hard to find them.

Look scatsman we do do rapid deploymentswith full gear and weapons as for section attacks ...hawr...hawr we just did one on the pakistan border near the end of last year, and like i said but what your walnut sized brain cant seem to register or process we do go to altitudes at 11to15 thousand feet,we do that # ALL the damn time in Afghanistan the fact that you don't seem to realize is cuz youve got your head up some damn sheeps ass boy.
And when we send our boys out they get the job done it's just that the media doesn't give them any credit prefering instead to focus on the occasional foul up, and thus giving fodder to clueless crackers like you.

And as for the USMC being based on the west coast WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL ARE YOU SMOKING MORON,ARE YOU MIXING SOME MIND ALTERING SUBSTANCES WITH YOUR WARM GOAT PISS.
HELL KID GET DOWN FROM YOUR HIGHLAND HORSE PILE AND TELL IT TO THE MARINES WHO ARE FORWARD DEPLOYED IN IRAQ AFGHANISTAN THE PACIFIC AND ELSEWHERE, EVER HEAR OF THE MOUNTAIN WARFARE CENTER IN THE SIERRA NEVADA MOUNTAINS IN CALIFORNIA JACKASS THE USMC TRAINS THERE AS WELL AS ALASKA AND NORWAY AND ANYWAY WHATS YOUR GUIDE TO THE CORPS ANYWAY JANES DEFENSE WEEKLY, THE US FORCES IN THE QALA-I-JAHANGIR FORT MANAGED VERY WELL THEY DID NOT REPEAT NOT NEED A BUNCH OF PUBLICITY SEEKING HANGERS ON TRYING TO TAKE UNDUE CREDIT, GIVE ME SOME OTHER VERIFIABLE SOURCES OTHER THAN THE LIL'LIMEY GUTTER PRESS REGARDING THE CMOH

BTW it isn't winter commiting disease its winter vomiting disease, the fact that you didn't find out about it was either because you didn't look hard enough or because your just plain stupid the latter is more likely, the blue on blue regarding the canadians has nothing to do with this you just brought it up for no reason, as far as heroic sacrifices go hmm.. why not just destroy the gear like any other sensible fighting force..instead of it falling into tango hands on or two anti tank missles on the land rovers would have done nicely-but oh yeah your lads probably forgot to bring any.

And as far as arming "terrorists" go HAH one of those so called terrorists is a guy called Hamid Karzai the current president of Afghanistan, get yourself an educfation kid it'll do wonders for you

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   
And oh yeah you say you don't like Anby McNabb well your writing and factchecking style seem to be a lot like his

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   
The American Military Machinery is what it has always being since WW2.

It is strong.

The problem with the American military is always politics, that will also never change unless America itself gets invaded.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join