It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How powerful is the U.S. military? Are they underestimated?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Hello everybody,

Before I begin, I just wanna say this is my first post, so have mercy, and that I always enjoy reading the intelligent conversations that go on here.
This is a great place to hear different points of view and get information the normal media just cannot match. Anyway, on to my topic.

Just how powerful is the U.S. military? Can we reallly defend ourselves against all the threats arising? I gotta tell ya, I cannot help but think that we are being underestimated by a lot of countries out there, just becuase who the hell knows what we have. Dubya must know something we don't. Am I wrong? Why is it everybody takes our aggressiveness? Lets try to leave the nuke factor out, because china has them too and so does russia. What make our (conventional) military so powerful. Im not biased in either direction, just wanna get some perspective that is all. I look forward to reading your thoughts. Can we come out of this supposed "war on terror" in one piece?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Anyone who misunderestimates Bush or the U.S. military do so at their own risk.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
The US spends more in its own military then just about the whole rest of the world combined spend on theirs. That should tell you enough right there. Our black budget alone is bigger then many countries whole military budget.

If people underestimate that they do so at their own risk like djohnsto77 said.

[edit on 16-2-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Do you know who really is under estimated in their military ability?
CANADA.
They actually have steel canoues with occasionally workable bolt action rifles.
Look out cause the Canadians have Sea king helicopters that actually sometimes fly more than 200m before crashing into the ocean.
They only have to rent tranport planes from Russia & america to move thier troops.
There is even tales of diesal powered submarines that have working electronics that actually don't start on fire 3 out of 4 times.
These sub's are so deadly they were only decomissioned 10 years ago by Britian for being un reliable death traps.

Thanx you stupid Liberals for making Canada a joke!

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
What did canada have to do with this?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I dont think Canada is a joke at all. They could have a army of 10 people and nobody in their right mind would ever think of invading Canada.

Its really smart but many countries never have that option.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
But seriously can we take on syria and iran while juggling N. korea and Iraq? Are we spread thin or not? Or should syria and iran think twice before getting tough?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Iran and Syria better think twice about getting tough with the lone military super power. We might lose more men then Iraq but they would both lose.

We can fight wars on a much larger scale then we are doing now but it might require a draft.

N Korea I think S Korea can take them without any help from the US.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Its obvious Syria and Iran think they have a chance, otherwise they would not threaten us. What do they know that we dont.? Same situation with N. Korea.
What do they have to gain attracting our military's attention?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
These arent the actions of countries that think they have a chance its the actions of countries that are scared. Its like the a dog with a bark worst then their bite.

Do you see countries that really have a chance like China,Russia making threats to the US.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I think the bush qoute itself exsplains this , "our enemies should learn not to disunderestimate us."

Now perosnally I think this is quite funny.
The USA is formidible , but can be knocked on its arse by a smaller country with a decent force.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
What makes the US military so powerful? it's not the size of the military, it's the power projection that no-one else can equal, power projection is key to the continual success of the US military.

Do I think they can take Iran and Syria, plus juggle Iraq? No, I don't think that's possible because of manpower issues, nor do i think an invasion of these two countries would be smart because you would be making a huge insurgent triangle (iraq,iran and syria) which would make things very difficult for US occupation forces. If they get kicked out, you end up having three countries that are even more pissed off at the US.

They only have to rent tranport planes from Russia & america to move thier troops.

I think the US military contracts Antonov Airlines, I know Australia has and also uses Il-76's (such a beautiful aircraft, those Russians have style, you see them out at Richmond AFB from time to time)

thanks,
drfunk

[edit on 16-2-2005 by drfunk]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Yeah Man power really ceases to be a issue with the draft. If Iran or Sryia tried to attack the US you better believe there would be a draft.

We fought one a much larger scale in WW2 with a smaller population and a less powerful military.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Actually I think America is being OVERestimated militarily.

They are reaching crisis point in Iraq, with not enough soldiers,
recruitment is dropping, reservists are being called up for active duty.

The miliary is being totally stretched in terms of manpower. They are even thinking of contracting out non military work, such as catering, to free up soldiers.

This means that any attack on Iran, and Nth Korea, just won't have a long term success because of the lack of backup.

The Iraq war is bleeding the economy badly, money is being spent in huge amounts and focing cuts in non miitary programs.

Iraq has become another Vietnam, they have been unsuccessful in creating an Iraqi military force, which means they will always have to have Amerian soldiers in the front line. As a result any pullouts will be difficult to achieve.

Sure short term "shoot them and bomb them" type war America is supreme, but in terms of planning and ability at maintaining an occupation they are getting deeper into the poo every day.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Does the meaning of the word Draft escape people??

The US is a nation of about 300 million people, I figure about 20% of the population could be used in a draft. So thats a pool of about 60 million soldiers we can take from.

If the need ever came man power is not a problem. If we get into a war with Iran,Syria and N Korea on top of those we already are in there will be a draft.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
So what makes us such a military superpower then? Apparently most of you feel the U.S. is unable to back up our talk (end tyranny anyone?). My point is, our government MUST plan scenarios where Iran and Syria got to war with us. Are they picking a fight they can win? Just being a devil's advocate. Look, can their standing armies REALLY fight us?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Well you have to remember that we are occupying Iraq, Im no expert but Im pretty sure thats much more difficult and expensive then say just bombing the hell out of a country. If we attacked Iran/Syria/Korea/Whatever I doubt we are going to be sticking around there trying to "establish democracy". I know we have plenty of high tech equipment and weapons that we havn't used in Iraq for some reason, that just might be brought to bear against our new enemies.

Soooo, manpower isn't going to be our downfall. We blew the hell out of Iraq in the first gulf war in no time at all and completely obliterated one of the biggest armies on the planet with minimal casulties on our side. I dont think Iran is going to be a huge problem, their wonderful airforce will be nothing but dust within days, along with their army.

Also, we'll actually have some global support against Iran, it's not going to be the U.S. going in all by her lonesome this time. Im sure Im missing a few points on critical issues such as land mass,location,loyalty of their army,etc.. but in the end I don't think any of it is going to matter.

In short, yes, I do think our military is underestimated.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
They don't have to win, just as with Iraq, it lost militarily yet it is winning the hearts and minds of the locals.

Invade Syria etc, crush their troops, and you will lose the hearts of the people who will begin to side with the terrorists.

So whats the difference in the last 6 months In Iraq? can anyone really say there has been an "improvement"? Alsmost every iraqi interviewed in the media says they want the US out,

Thats how the US loses, it wins the battles but loses the war.

As a country America is now totally paranoid about attacks on it, and is now instituting draconian rules to monitor its own population to protect itself, its becomming a form of prison for its own people.

In keeping the threats out, you have to lock down the people who live there, control the information flows, and population movements, monitor the minorities, stifle dissent, etc.

Also look at the massive loss in international esteem by the rest of the world's goverments and more importantly people. Just where would you feel safe going for a holiday now overseas?

So sure, militarily in bombs and tanks, America has made wonderful victories, but politically and internationaly in the hearts of many it is losing big time. Although I don't care if Syria or Iran or Nth Korea is invaded, makes for interesting TV at least, there is no way the US will be able to count it as a victory, just as Iraq is not a victory at the moment.

[edit on 16-2-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Oh I believe U.S will attack Syria and Iran the Russian supply of Arms to Syria and Iran will take a HUGE toll out of the U.S. ground forces and war ships, until U.S. starts draft, then after that Russia will see U.S. is realy determind to take over Middle east (using war on terrorisim as thier excuse) and thats when Russia will attack U.S. Millitary in Middle east and then after that all over the world, see Russia wants to push U.S. back to thier side of world, so Russia will just sit back and allow U.S. to move in to middle east, still supplying Syria and Iran with weapons to fight U.S. AND then Rus will wait till U.S. over whealms Syria and Iran then BOOM Russia attacks conventionaly, then U.S. will reaspond nuclearly then Russia will reaspond back Nuclearly.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SiberianTiger
Oh I believe U.S will attack Syria and Iran the Russian supply of Arms to Syria and Iran will take a HUGE toll out of the U.S. ground forces and war ships, until U.S. starts draft, then after that Russia will see U.S. is realy determind to take over Middle east (using war on terrorisim as thier excuse) and thats when Russia will attack U.S. Millitary in Middle east and then after that all over the world, see Russia wants to push U.S. back to thier side of world, so Russia will just sit back and allow U.S. to move in to middle east, still supplying Syria and Iran with weapons to fight U.S. AND then Rus will wait till U.S. over whealms Syria and Iran then BOOM Russia attacks conventionaly, then U.S. will reaspond nuclearly then Russia will reaspond back Nuclearly.

Man I love these guys stories, oh how I wish for the old days!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join