It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shutting down the internet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   
No. I think it would instantaneously kill the economy of most countries in the world, far outweighing the societal "reset factor" that it would provide. Agreed it would help us get back together as a species though.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: HiMyNameIsCal

That only took 10 responses to turn political...
Good job.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 04:28 AM
link   

edit on 11-3-2018 by Somethingsamiss because: Posted twice.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: HiMyNameIsCal
I just had an idea and wanted to share it.

Sometimes children get upset and misbehave when they get something that they want too often. Being spoiled as a child leads to behavioral dysfunction as an adult. I have observed a lot of behavioural dysfunction in our society lately. Suppose we all decided that we should shut down the internet for a short time until we can all sit down and hash out our problems.

I understand that you can not just shut down the internet! Nor do I want it gone forever. I just feel like we are all a little spoiled having access to all of the worlds data at our finger tips. In a hypothetical situation where we could/would "Ground" ourselves. Do you think it would help...

Woah... Massive mass murders one on one of kid killing kid, parents, neighbors, the dog...

We've done it to ourselves... We forgot how to "play" or "read"...our electronic "conveniences" have become "necessities ".

Good idea in theory....

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

If you want to shut down the internet, contact James, I think he may know a thing or two about how to do that.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: HiMyNameIsCal
I just had an idea and wanted to share it.

Sometimes children get upset and misbehave when they get something that they want too often. Being spoiled as a child leads to behavioral dysfunction as an adult. I have observed a lot of behavioural dysfunction in our society lately. Suppose we all decided that we should shut down the internet for a short time until we can all sit down and hash out our problems.

I understand that you can not just shut down the internet! Nor do I want it gone forever. I just feel like we are all a little spoiled having access to all of the worlds data at our finger tips. In a hypothetical situation where we could/would "Ground" ourselves. Do you think it would help?

The free internet is one of the few bright spots in the world today. The reason TPTB hate the internet is that people are waking up in the millions and not liking the world they find themselves in. The old school PTB cannot completely control the internet (such as it is) and will do everything they can to cut off every single piece of it that is outside their control.

In the end, they will get what they want but here's hoping the "internet addicts" don't make it easy. There is no such thing as wanting too much freedom. There is only the question of how much freedom you can have and keep. If you want to be free you're going to have to be willing to say no to people who want you to give it up. Passive resistance is better than no resistance at all.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
This crossed my mind the other day.

If we decided to abandon the internet entirely, would we become more productive as a result? How would it impact our family lives?

I miss the old days when the internet wasn't such a big deal yet. Life seemed fuller. Although I admit I really enjoy connecting with others like on here

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhantomOrion
This crossed my mind the other day.

If we decided to abandon the internet entirely, would we become more productive as a result?

What exactly do you think we would produce more of?

More importantly, who would benefit most from the lack of free and open discussion?
edit on 11-3-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
So when you shutdown the Internet are you going to be one of the people crying about the catastrophic impact that has on just about every industry? What about healthcare? What about the economy?

I doubt it based on your "what about the President" snark. Its always easy for certain people to blame something or someone else.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I have to admit, I'd miss being able to listen to my fav podcasts and not being able to play WoW would suck, but I'd manage fine. I have knitting, crocheting, and embroidery and I have a stack of puzzle books I drag out sometimes.

I'm also a huge fan of the library. I can spend hours browsing the shelves. There's always yardwork, which I don't mind if it's warm. And bowling! Man I miss going bowling. I used to go often with coworkers on days off.

I think that for me, I have the hindsight of remembering what life was like before the internet took over so much. Those are good memories and I know I can find much to do out in our crazy world, heh.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
So when you shutdown the Internet are you going to be one of the people crying about the catastrophic impact that has on just about every industry? What about healthcare? What about the economy?

I doubt it based on your "what about the President" snark. Its always easy for certain people to blame something or someone else.

Actually, I'm thinking if the internet disappeared tomorrow, crime would go through the roof in short order. Statistics show that crime has generally gone way down since the internet became a thing. Of course that doesn't prove the internet had anything to do with it. I would guess that people who are sitting in front of computers all day can't be bothered to rob liqueur stores and murder people.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

In a hypothetical situation where we could/would "Ground" ourselves. Do you think it would help?

How would it help ? We would be entirely at the mercy of MSM for news, with no link to other sources of info. That would be the first step in brainwashing the public and manipulating them for the advantages of a few.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join