It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s tariffs aren’t good for the economy, Ron Paul warns

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I don't know what protectionism is, but the nitty gritty is companies have looked and moved offshore for taxation purposes. Our former corporate tax rate was insane. Would you work if half of what you earned was taken by the government and then spent on wars and social programs?

Corporations are evil, don't get me wrong, but they employ a freaking shltload of people. The more money a corporation can make, the more people they will hire to meet demands.

Unless you have a better model that can break the mold we are stuck in a stalemate.

Robots are replacing people, and I hear that jobs for robot technicians are going unfilled. Why? Are there too many robots? Or are there just too many people that don't care to learn how to fix the robot?

Remember this, every robot that takes a low skilled job creates at least 3 average to high skilled jobs. Maybe people just need to pursue further education.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

Just don't give him the credit for getting them to the table when they've been trying since 1994.

And yet he never came to the table did he. You must think it is just a coincidence that he is coming to the table now that Trump is President. All you can say is don't give Trump credit for something that he has obviously done, and right before your eyes I might add. He didn't ignore Kim the way previous administrations has done. He is the only one to finally take Kim serious. He talked about how something should be done about North Korea in 1999 on Meet the Press. Kim has no other choice but to come to the table now. Don't give Trump credit. SMH

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Ron Talked the Talk , but Trump Walked the Walk . One is President , the Other is Not . Nuff said .

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 12:13 AM
link   
The fact on NK is we have for decades bought their silence with money and aid every time they threw a tantrum. Like giving a lollipop to a two year old because they threw a fit.
Small wonder they pop off missiles and threaten war every few years. It has always worked before.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Ron Paul hasn't shifted his position for anybody. Rather it's many of his so called supporters and sympathizers like yourself who have all for the sake of protecting this administration.

The bending over backwards is turning into a reverse genuflection while chanting maga maga maga, forever, megamaga.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

ETA keep in mind that NK isn't ready to sit down with Trump to give up their nuclear weapons program. They're doing so to show the world that now that they have nuclear weapons, the US is forced to treat them as equals.

That is the thought of a simple mind... They have one or two nukes and crappy delivery systems, equal OK. Trump has said he is willing to talk many times. Ok, so now we get a talk. Do you really think for some reason this enters NK on the world stage past Warhol's 15 mins?

We have two directions, back to where we are today, OR actual change, so we will see. Here's the deal, NK is broke, and I mean broke ass nothing. They have a huge 14 billion GNP on a good day, now they have nothing and Kim has been using his personal stash to keep things barely running. Kim has two choices, change or death...Do you see anything else with him right now?

World stage give me a break...

edit on 11-3-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkeptiSchism
a reply to: Raggedyman

The problem is that other nations use the dollar to set up bills of credit for trade, and they buy oil priced in dollars. To get dollars they have to sell us stuff, to sell us stuff it has to be cheaper than our products.

So if Trump imposes tariffs then foreign products become more expensive, then our trade deficit is reduced and our trading partners get less dollars to use as a basis for bills of credit with other nations.

Another word for the situation is Triffen's dilemma.

The Triffin dilemma or Triffin paradox is the conflict of economic interests that arises between short-term domestic and long-term international objectives for countries whose currencies serve as global reserve currencies. This dilemma was first identified in the 1960s by Belgian-American economist Robert Triffin, who pointed out that the country whose currency, being the global reserve currency, foreign nations wish to hold, must be willing to supply the world with an extra supply of its currency to fulfill world demand for these foreign exchange reserves, thus leading to a trade deficit.
en.wikipedia.org...

Personally I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I think we'd be better off returning to honest money, that is to a dollar backed by gold reserves. But that would severely limit the ability of our government to deficit spend.

Trump wants to deficit spend like mad, he's already setting up deficits of around a trillion a year, which adds to the national debt. I don't think he can have it both ways, this will end up pushing more countries like China, Iran, Russia and perhaps Saudi Arabia away from using the dollar for trade (reserve currency status).

But in reality that is what we need in order to rebuild our industrial base.

You are wrong that they can only sell the us stuff that is cheaper sometimes it is selling specialty goods that cant be made in America. This tariff on steel and aluminum is stupid because the US has never had the facilities to make certain grades of of either steel or aluminum. All the tariffs will do is raise the cost of steel across the board for everyone.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Why do you liberal's hate Trump correcting things,are you scared you might run out of excuses to get a job? grow up another one who went to public school,because you can't debate,you run out of wisdom and make sneid remarks

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Trump stated clearly that these Tarriffs will be dropped if the country makes an effort to stop the imbalance of trade. If they buy our stuff. This way our money will not be going out of this country into the pockets of other countries businesses. Right now, Germany sells us way more than they buy from us. www.census.gov...

That is just one country, there are many countries that do that. I am not picking on Germany, if you look at China, there is a big difference there, but we get way more bang for our buck with China than Germany. I still do not think there should be that big of an inequity with China, but Our prices would not be affordable to China, they are affordable with places like Germany and Italy.

Should we also be forced into trade agreements for quantities or materials we do not want from solely one source, do not want at all, or do not have a need for?

That's not a wise method of trading goods to force our trade partners in to, it's twisting arms and flies in the face of the idea of Free Trade to begin with. All that approach will do is have everyone drop us like a hot rock for the less bats# trade partners. In other words, we'll have f#d ourselves into a corner with no outside income sources.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 03:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Why do you liberal's hate Trump correcting things,are you scared you might run out of excuses to get a job? grow up another one who went to public school,because you can't debate,you run out of wisdom and make sneid remarks

The day you post a comment that doesn't bash liberals get back to me, every post I've ever read of yours regardless of what the topic is, you write stupid liberals blah blah blah.... You're a one trick pony....

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

So how is me giving my opinion any different than anyone else giving theirs? What makes me any more "superior" than someone who bashes "leftists" all the time? Obviously those who do that feel superior to others otherwise they wouldn't word their posts like they do.

I don't think I'm superior to anyone so stop claiming to speak for me. Everyone is prone to believing lies, me included.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Vector99

So how is me giving my opinion any different than anyone else giving theirs? What makes me any more "superior" than someone who bashes "leftists" all the time? Obviously those who do that feel superior to others otherwise they wouldn't word their posts like they do.

I don't think I'm superior to anyone so stop claiming to speak for me. Everyone is prone to believing lies, me included.

Like I said, your opinions are constant, so I give you that. But they are constant, you make the same comments over and over, you never shift an opinion. You have one speed, and never a second one.

Saying the same thing over and over with a jaded mindset can form an opinion of an individual. opinions don't happen overnight, you have to earn those, and you absolutely have with your constant condescending posts with a self righteous attitude, yes bro, you do bring that to the table.

To stay on topic Ron Paul hasn't been relevant since the year 2000

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   
It's this weird idea that is well known in the entire rest of the world outside of Trumpistahn, that the USA has never concluded a trade deal that was not already in its best interests.

American overseas trade has always favored America. As the biggest player, America has always pretty much been able to dictate the terms they want.

But now Trump comes along and says it's not fair. Because that plays well with his voters who somehow believe America has been taken advantage of.

What does Trump mean when he says the EU has dealt with America unfairly? Well what that means is the EU doesn't allow American companies to sell Genetically Modified unsafe monsanto-poison ridden foodstuffs in European markets.

It doesn't allow American companies to sell their dirt cheap bleach-washed antibiotic ridden chicken and beef in European markets.

Because these things are unsafe and carcinogenic.

This is what Trump means. 'Take our poisons or we will throw a tantrum'.

So he's picked a fight that is going to hurt us all. Bravo.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Don't forget dapl. We still push over native americans, we haven't changed.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
When did the United States create the world economy? The portuguese already had grade routes across the entire planet before you were even a country.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
And Ron Paul just lost Illinois.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

As I said in another thread, this has a direct negative impact on my business. All the extensive equipment I use has to be made of steel. Packaging for my product has to be made from aluminum.

So I now have to spend more on equipment while making less profit off each sale.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I haven't trusted Ron Paul since I found out he was still spending campaign money as recently as 2017 and giving it to his daughter years after leaving office.

www.reddit.com...
www.tampabay.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
ATS has become just like government, politics and media,stubborn and at a stalemate. This is about THE STEEL INDUSTRY,not chickens or the other things thrown out here. AGAIN NOT A TRUMP FAN but if he is such an idiot wouldn't behoove the left to let him impose his flawed ideas,tariffs in this case and take the hit politically and on the world stage? Instead every idea is fought tooth and nail scratching and clawing, if his policies are such disasters it will come out in the wash. If it hurts business here in America he would lose a significant portion of his base. ie. if he is wrong give him enough rope to hang himself. It's not like tariffs in this case can't be removed in a few years if it's as terrible as predicted.

I know every industry is different but there are lessons to learned in what the US has lost in the last 40 years in manufacturing. 40 years ago America had a thriving apparel and garment industry, we had domestic manufacturers, a blossoming garment district in New York and manufacturing elsewhere like Los Angeles,Chicago etc. was big too. While nothing like the big industrial businesses it still employed lots and lots of people,provided benefits and security and employed a high number of women especially at all levels from ownership, management on down. The trade markets were always busy year round in the big cities and even smaller regional ones. Then in the early 80's the industry started importing heavily from Mexico,India and China etc. companies could get goods from overseas cheaper than could be made here and though the product was not as good the cost difference was just to great to ignore. Now flash forward most goods are manufactured in China, not only do they sell to wholesale companies here they flood the retail market via the internet competing directly with a dwindling brick and mortar stores capturing an estimated 15-19% of their retail business. Now those domestic trade markets that were busy year round have dwindled to 1-2 busy markets a year when it used to be 5. The menswear business has basically dried up to a few small pockets domestically the overwhelming bulk is foreign. Point being is while this industry is doing well globally and in China in particular it is still struggling to get where it needs to be here in the US. Funny thing is a lot of our product is not even sold retail in Asia, but they sell direct knockoff substandard product direct to the unsuspecting American consumer further eroding retail domestic profits. My industry is gone, likely to never return in a major way in the US,how long can we afford to just lose other more vital industries for the sake of global trade.
edit on 11-3-2018 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: rickymouse
Trump stated clearly that these Tarriffs will be dropped if the country makes an effort to stop the imbalance of trade. If they buy our stuff. This way our money will not be going out of this country into the pockets of other countries businesses. Right now, Germany sells us way more than they buy from us. www.census.gov...

That is just one country, there are many countries that do that. I am not picking on Germany, if you look at China, there is a big difference there, but we get way more bang for our buck with China than Germany. I still do not think there should be that big of an inequity with China, but Our prices would not be affordable to China, they are affordable with places like Germany and Italy.

Should we also be forced into trade agreements for quantities or materials we do not want from solely one source, do not want at all, or do not have a need for?

That's not a wise method of trading goods to force our trade partners in to, it's twisting arms and flies in the face of the idea of Free Trade to begin with. All that approach will do is have everyone drop us like a hot rock for the less bats# trade partners. In other words, we'll have f#d ourselves into a corner with no outside income sources.

Right now, our Trading partners in Europe are doing exactly what Trump is trying to do. They closely watch how much money leaves their country, in the TV special report with Trump and the Swedish PM....I think they call him a PM...He stated that Sweden is very watchful of Trade imbalances. So are the Germans, and the French and most European countries. Now why should we not be concerned about this? It is important in economics to keep your economy secure.

Our present policy is screwing the long term economic security of our nation. I am not fond of Tarriffs, but know that they are necessary in some cases. We have not even been trying to keep the imbalance in check, not with Obama, not with Bush, and not with Clinton. This problem goes back quite a way, it actually started with Clinton and has been accelerating in imbalance. Our countries economic future is limited to less than twenty years if we do not start to fix this problem. If they go and recall all the money...again...and start over giving everyone pennies on the dollar of their savings....It would suck. They have done that a couple of times in the history of our country to correct things. It is a standard way of all nations to get out of debt, it will be done if needed, we will not have any say so. They did not have any say so the last time they did that and we had the same laws governing us.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join