It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Psychology of Progressive Hostility

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
What i have found is that the underlying source of the energies put forth are often not at all what we think. I have found it to be that often it is as simple as an animal protecting his den.

In other words we as humans have an underlying energy that we bring forth into the human realm from the animal realm.

So it then becomes that even though we often spout nonsense in a manner that is seemingly vicious underneath that is just our true animal selves protecting our surroundings.

IMO We are all victims of forces greater than ourselves that have brought us all together to live and often the results are inconceivable to our actual thought patterns as humans.

Quite often when we are right on this level we are wrong on a whole other level and that is why it is best to love everybody.

Love strongly and forgive greatly

edit on 10-3-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

As for this thread, I think you took it completely the wrong way. The purpose is summed up at the end of my OP. If even one poster takes it to heart and learns to be more open-minded about the views of the other side, it's worth it. I can handle the vitriol and lame remarks about me doing the bidding of the PTB.

I’m going to have to call BS on your claim here. If you were really wanting to help people be more open-minded about the views of the other side, you would have posted a more neutral article, or you could have posted a 2nd article that was maybe not so complementary of the right, such as this one:

www.psychologytoday.com...

But you didn’t do that, did you? No, your goal here was clearly to bash the left - and frankly, I’m getting really weary of all the left/right battles. And, dammit, I wasn’t going to participate in this thread!

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Powerful stuff...

Love strongly and forgive greatly

Just think what the world would be like if everyone decided to live that out...

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

As for this thread, I think you took it completely the wrong way. The purpose is summed up at the end of my OP. If even one poster takes it to heart and learns to be more open-minded about the views of the other side, it's worth it. I can handle the vitriol and lame remarks about me doing the bidding of the PTB.

I’m going to have to call BS on your claim here. If you were really wanting to help people be more open-minded about the views of the other side, you would have posted a more neutral article, or you could have posted a 2nd article that was maybe not so complementary of the right, such as this one:

But you didn’t do that, did you? No, your goal here was clearly to bash the left - and frankly, I’m getting really weary of all the left/right battles. And, dammit, I wasn’t going to participate in this thread!

If that was my goal, I'd have posted it in the mudpit. You don't know me well enough to infer my motives. And frankly, that's a subtle way of attacking me personally, the kind of thing you're claiming you're against. So not only are you here participating, you're not practicing what you preach. Well done.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Doesn’t change the fact that you posted an article that was derogatory to the left. It was not a neutral article. You didn’t include anything derogatory to the right for balance.

There is nothing personal in stating those facts. There is nothing personal in stating what you did. Just because I pointed out that the facts don’t align with what you are claiming your goal is, that doesn’t make it personal.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: introvert
Sometimes telling people the truth and telling them that the facts show they are wrong is perceived as being hostile, or being an asshole.

That is not my burden to bear. That is on the person that lacks the desire or ability to receive another person's words without becoming emotional or defensive.

People on both sides can be both the hostile asshole and on the emotional defense. So it would appear that this piece is written to be confirmation bias for those that do not like meanie asshole "Progressives".

It would appear that this comment is written without having read the article, or having completely missed the point.

You may want to read up on the source you are using and the tactics they employ.

theoutline.com...

To further respond to this, it's funny you posted a piece from The Outline, which isn't exactly know for being a down-the-middle website.

The Outline is in the same territory
as CNN. But no, you're not just a leftist offended by the piece and proving the author's point.

Of course you can find plenty of articles complaining Media Bias isn't apolitcal or neutral. I mean, what is? It is run by humans with their own political biases, so their opinion isn't untainted either. But you wouldn't argue with their ratings for Fox or Breitbart.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Quillette is a great read online. It is more commentary rather than journalism. Those who speak ill of it haven’t read it, nor could they refute much of it if they tried.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Doesn’t change the fact that you posted an article that was derogatory to the left. It was not a neutral article. You didn’t include anything derogatory to the right for balance.

There is nothing personal in stating those facts. There is nothing personal in stating what you did. Just because I pointed out that the facts don’t align with what you are claiming your goal is, that doesn’t make it personal.

I don't recall stating it was a neutral article nor that the point of this thread was to provide an equal amount of derogatory information about the left and the right. If, to you, that's the only premise for a decent thread, feel free to start one. You don't have to participate in mine.

The point was to encourage particularly stubborn leftists to recognize that at times they're locked into a bubble of their own ideology and not exposed to enough of the other side's views, and even completely misunderstand them as the author contended. He even backed this up with the paragraph I highlighted on the previous page, describing an experiment where left-leaning students had no idea what right-leaning students actually thought, but right-leaning students were able to articulate their left-leaning counterparts' views. One such experiment doesn't provide conclusive evidence, but it's not difficult to imagine you could repeat this fairly easily. I think it's pretty well acknowledged that college students are overwhelmingly exposed to progressive viewpoints on campus. Lack of exposure to alternative viewpoints can make people exceptionally ignorant.

I don't exactly have the authority to bar anyone from posting examples of this type of behavior on the right.

ETA: It's ironic that you don't recognize impugning my motives is a personal attack because you want to pretend you just stated fact. You didn't, you stated your opinion about my motives, which as I pointed out is very shaky ground because you don't know me very well. You felt attacked, so that must have been my motive and you absolutely will not accept any other notion. This is yet another example of what the author is talking about.
edit on 10 3 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

So, it wasn’t just trying to get people to be more “open-minded to views on the other side”, as you stated before. It was trying to get people on the left to agree with people on the right? Surely, you don’t believe you have a chance in hell of that happening with this thread, do you?

Just because you claim that people on the right can articulate what the left’s views are, it doesn’t mean they agree with the left any more than the left agrees with the right.

So, what’s the point of this thread again?

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

So, it wasn’t just trying to get people to be more “open-minded to views on the other side”, as you stated before.

It was. Progressives are people, allegedly. ETA: That was a joke. Edit edit: The "allegedly" part was a joke. I need to be super super clear here, some of you will read way more into this than it was meant.

Just because you claim that people on the right can articulate what the left’s views are, it doesn’t mean they agree with the left any more than the left agrees with the right.

That's not what the claim is, and it's not merely a claim. As I pointed out three times now, the author did back that assertion up with evidence. Is it broad, all-inclusive evidence, meaning no one with progressive values understand conservatives? Of course not, and that's not what the author nor I are claiming.

So, what’s the point of this thread again?

Asked and answered several times already. You don't have to believe me, just don't pretend calling me a liar isn't a personal attack. And yeah, I realize you never used the words "you're a liar". You just said my true motives were not what I said they were. In other words, you're claiming I lied. I didn't. If you don't get it or can't accept that, oh well. This obviously wasn't meant for you then. It's unlikely any of our mainstay resident progressives will learn anything here. The most likely people who will gain something from this are lurkers or new members who are relatively new to politics. I may never know if this did any good whatsoever, but I can live with that. I didn't post it to troll or attack leftists. If I had, my goal was accomplished the moment I hit Post, and I wouldn't still need to be here straightening out your misconceptions.
edit on 10 3 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

This is yet another example of what the author is talking about...

Exactly...

originally posted by: zorgon
"The louder the opposition protests, the more I know I am on the right track"

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

The most likely people who will gain something from this are lurkers or new members who are relatively new to politics.

Ahhh I see. Trying to catch the newbies and switch them over to the right. Good luck!

A little helpful tip: you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Sure feels good to be 'thoroughly brainwashed'...

I agreed with every word cowboy said as well.

ISIS and ‘American’ leftist progressive liberal Democrats. They may sound different but they really are’t much different. While ‘American’ progressive may not behead someone who they disagree with they will instead smear, hassle and try to ruin anyone who doesn’t toe the line. ISIS just beheads people or burns people alive when someone disagrees with them. So far, ‘American’ progressives haven’t evolved to that, YET.

If an ‘American’ leftist doesn’t like something, they just destroy it, just like ISIS. If an ‘American’ leftist doesn’t like you, or thinks you did something that’s not acceptable to the leftist ideology, they will personally try to destroy you will smears, harassment and sometimes violence. A perfect example of the leftist Democrat smear merchants is George Takei. ‘Sulu’ as he’s better known as called Clarence Thomas a ‘Clown in Black Face’ because he voted against gay marriage. Takei or Sulu didn’t like that, so he smeared Clarence Thomas with racist attacks. Did you hear about this in the media? Of course not! Because they protect their own. I don’t even know if this was brought up on Fox News at all last week. If it was, I didn’t see it.

Any leftist wondering if i’m comparing them to terrorist, yea I am. They like to compare the tea party to the Taliban, so why not show how leftist progressives are very similar to terrorists. Leftists hate this country, just like terrorists. Leftists hate the military, just like terrorists. Leftists hate capitalism and so do terrorists. So tell me again, how do leftists really differ from terrorists?

ISIS vs leftist progressives. Figure it out yet?

Looks about right to me, but then, I think I was the one referred to as an asshole a few post above. If the left cannot win with logic or facts, just throw mud or destroy reputations with lies and half truths. Personally I wouldn't condone that behavior on either side. But hay, I'm the asshole. You people have a nice day.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Liberal logic...

Don't even TRY to figure it out.

edit on 3.10.2018 by Murgatroid because: Felt like it...

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

We get it. Liberals are stupid and dumb and ugly and horrible and worthless and evil and crazy and dumb... whereas conservatives are smart and wise and beautiful and fantastic and, like, the best people ever!!!

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

This is really quite interesting.
In the OP it clearly states that the link was described as "just a space for right-wing windbags to pontificate about the same thing over and over and over…".

I don't really think you can get much fairer than that.

And the response?
Progressive hostility.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

In the OP it clearly states that the link was described as "just a space for right-wing windbags to pontificate about the same thing over and over and over…".

And the response?
Progressive hostility.

The OP wasn’t stating that himself. He said it was one of the comments in the article. The OP doesn’t disagree with what the author of the article is saying.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

The most likely people who will gain something from this are lurkers or new members who are relatively new to politics.

Ahhh I see. Trying to catch the newbies and switch them over to the right. Good luck!

A little helpful tip: you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.

I was particularly talking about people who already have left-leaning views but are still open-minded enough to recognize [insert everything I said before, for the 8th time].

You could just take my answers the way I give them instead of twisting them around to suit your initial assumptions, which turned out to be wrong.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Well, I don’t think you have attracted too many of those people, but you HAVE attracted quite a few on your side who have embraced the opportunity in this thread to bash the left some more. Kudos!

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

And the response?
Progressive hostility.

The OP wasn’t stating that himself. He said it was one of the comments in the article. The OP doesn’t disagree with what the author of the article is saying.

Exactly, he made it a point to show opinions he didn't agree with.
That's a good thing.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join