It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Psychology of Progressive Hostility

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
The Psychology of Progressive Hostility

This is an interesting read I came across this morning. I'm not familiar with this website, so I'm not sure how folk here will react to it being linked. According to one commenter who obviously wasn't pleased to see this, it's "just a space for right-wing windbags to pontificate about the same thing over and over and over…". The reaction in the comments and on social media is more fascinating than the article. Obviously some conservatives circle-jerking each other over how right the author is and it's about time someone said it, yada yada yada, balanced by the very progressives the author was talking about in complete denial about what he said. Sprinkled in between are a few people who seem to have read it with an open mind and maybe learned a little something.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

And for some reason you thought it was a good idea to post it here and frame it in the most gossipy manner you could... let's talk smack about each other! Let's play foot soldiers for the PTB in the divide-and-conquer campaign! Woohoo!!!

How freaking pathetic.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." Eleanor Roosevelt

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I read the article, it seems completely in line with my personal experiences. I think progressive hostility stems from a liberal wanting change, but not willing to give an inch or negotiate in good faith.

The term petulant child comes to mind. Just my opinion, but backed up by experience.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I see just as many, spittle slinging, red faced, largely irrational, shuddup-if-you-don't-agree-with-me tactics from the far right. Frankly, they are usually considerably worse. Although, I will admit that more mainstream liberals are far more likely to resort to such things when faced with a difference of ideology or opinions versus more mainstream conservatives.

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

The leftist, progressive ideology is just as severe as ISIS.

You have to obey or you are the enemy.

You have to support every aspect or you aren't a "true believer".

It's why they are so hostile.

It is their religion, their lifestyle, their whole identity.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

I've got some experience too. Every time I say anything that even remotely doesn't compliment guns and their apparent awesomeness, or if I even broach the subject of making guns harder for the bad guys to get, I get attacked, and many times those attacks have been personal and brutal, even though I was debating in a non-personal way. And don't even get me started on the subject of abortions...

We all have our passions - I get that. What I don't get is this claim by the right that it's only the left that take it a little too far sometimes. My mom has been unfriended by several of her conservative "friends" for speaking her liberal views on facebook. That's why I learned not to discuss my politics on social media. It can get too heated on both sides, and I have friends and relatives on both sides.

With that, I'm done with this thread that was posted to make us fight some more. Au revoir...

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

I see just as many, spittle slinging, red faced, largely irrational, shuddup-if-you-don't-agree-with-me tactics from the far right. Frankly, they are usually considerably worse. Although, I will admit that more mainstream liberals are far more likely to resort to such things when faced with a difference of ideology or opinions versus more mainstream conservatives.

I don't think the author meant to suggest that no one on the right behaves that way. It certainly wasn't my intent. I think it was more about exactly what you said, that that kind of attitude seems to be more common and more mainstream on the left than it is on the right. Especially in settings like colleges, where the idea that their views are correct and conservatives who disagree with them are not just wrong but evil (racist, sexist, etc) is so reinforced that they simply don't see the other side. All they know about the other side is what they're told by other leftists, and it's usually a misrepresentation. This paragraph sums that part up:

In his remarkable book The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion, Haidt recalls a telling experiment. He and his colleagues Brian Nosek and Jesse Graham sought to discover how well conservative and what Haidt terms ‘liberal’ (ie: progressive) students understood one another by having them answer moral questions as they thought their political opponents would answer them. “The results were clear and consistent,” remarks Haidt. “In all analyses, conservatives were more accurate than liberals.” Asked to think the way a liberal thinks, conservatives answered moral questions just as the liberal would answer them, but liberal students were unable to do the reverse. Rather, they seemed to put moral ideas into the mouths of conservatives that they don’t hold. To put it bluntly, Haidt and his colleagues found that progressives don’t understand conservatives the way conservatives understand progressives. This he calls the ‘conservative advantage,’ and it goes a long way in explaining the different ways each side deals with opinions unlike their own. People get angry at what they don’t understand, and an all-progressive education ensures that they don’t understand.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Nickn3

I've got some experience too. Every time I say anything that even remotely doesn't compliment guns and their apparent awesomeness, or if I even broach the subject of making guns harder for the bad guys to get, I get attacked, and many times those attacks have been personal and brutal, even though I was debating in a non-personal way. And don't even get me started on the subject of abortions...

We all have our passions - I get that. What I don't get is this claim by the right that it's only the left that take it a little too far sometimes. My mom has been unfriended by several of her conservative "friends" for speaking her liberal views on facebook. That's why I learned not to discuss my politics on social media. It can get too heated on both sides, and I have friends and relatives on both sides.

With that, I'm done with this thread that was posted to make us fight some more. Au revoir...

I have seen exactly what you're talking about. A particular instance I can recall from a few weeks ago where you had posted something in a gun thread and a pro-gun user responded to you with a particularly nasty comment that was completely uncalled for. I did not agree with what that person said to you and posted as much. However, he was an extreme case. Using people like him as an excuse not to engage those of us who are more civil is just letting assholes like that control the discourse. Most of us are willing to have a reasonable discussion on the subject. As I recall, I sent you a PM addressing what you had posted in a more polite manner, since you had indicated you wouldn't be coming back to that thread due to the personal attacks. You never replied to my PM. If you want to have a real discussion on guns, let me know.

As for this thread, I think you took it completely the wrong way. The purpose is summed up at the end of my OP. If even one poster takes it to heart and learns to be more open-minded about the views of the other side, it's worth it. I can handle the vitriol and lame remarks about me doing the bidding of the PTB.
edit on 10 3 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Bullying is accomplished by blaming victims for what bullies are about to do to them. Its an excuse to ratchet up a false pretext to attack with force, showing who the true bully is.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Sometimes telling people the truth and telling them that the facts show they are wrong is perceived as being hostile, or being an asshole.

That is not my burden to bear. That is on the person that lacks the desire or ability to receive another person's words without becoming emotional or defensive.

People on both sides can be both the hostile asshole and on the emotional defense. So it would appear that this piece is written to be confirmation bias for those that do not like meanie asshole "Progressives".

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I find with progressives, they often have emotional world views instead of logical world views. Most of their positions are not based on facts and logic, but feel good emotion. As such, when presented with facts and logic, in a way they become triggered. They respond the only way they can which is to lash out as they can't really rebut your position with facts and logic. This is why their default response to positions they disagree with are calling their opposition racist, sexist, evil, etc whereas when someone on the right is debating we want to show statistics, facts, etc.

In addition, progressives believe their positions are morally superior. Because of this thinking, they often times have no problem with squashing free speech. They don't see it as a debate of two equal opinions. They see their side as good and the other side as evil or less than. As such, they don't see an issue with censoring or preventing free speech of ideas they don't agree with as in their minds, those ideas are simply not worthy of discussion.

To be fair, conservatives do the same thing as well in some instances, but I do find it more pronounced on the left. It is far easier to have a rational discussion with a conservative and leave as friends who simply disagree than it is vice versa.

Even though I am mostly right leaning in my thinking, there are a few areas where I tend to go left. When I am defending a left leaning position, I can often have a good debate with a conservative and we just simply disagree. On the other hand, if I defend a conservative position against a leftist, they tend to get personally offended, assume I am racist, and will seek to have me drawn and quartered.

edit on 10-3-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Sometimes telling people the truth and telling them that the facts show they are wrong is perceived as being hostile, or being an asshole.

That is not my burden to bear. That is on the person that lacks the desire or ability to receive another person's words without becoming emotional or defensive.

People on both sides can be both the hostile asshole and on the emotional defense. So it would appear that this piece is written to be confirmation bias for those that do not like meanie asshole "Progressives".

It would appear that this comment is written without having read the article, or having completely missed the point.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Bullying is accomplished by blaming victims for what bullies are about to do to them. Its an excuse to ratchet up a false pretext to attack with force, showing who the true bully is.

This is a pretty good description of the violent opposition to conservative speakers on college campuses and the general bias conservative students have to face during their college years. Thanks for bringing it up.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

The leftist, progressive ideology is just as severe as ISIS.

You have to obey or you are the enemy.

You have to support every aspect or you aren't a "true believer".

It's why they are so hostile.

It is their religion, their lifestyle, their whole identity.

None of this is true. Not one word. If it is truth as you know it, then you are thoroughly brainwashed. Stop letting our particular political environment, at this particular time in our history, get to you like it is.

Maybe a little vay-cay from politics for a while might bring some clarity for you. Enjoy the goodness that must surround you with your family. Smell the roses. Not everybody is out to get you just because they don't like Donald Trump or favor arming the population with military weapons.

edit on 3/10/2018 by ladyinwaiting because: come out swinging!... quote from Astynax whom I so dearly miss

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Nice source OP...

It was actually blacklisted by the Australian MSM which screams credibility.

More on the source used:

Claire Lehmann, the founder of the libertarian-leaning, academia-focused digital magazine Quillette, suggested that the website was a refuge from the political correctness and leftist bias that allegedly plague both academia and the mainstream media.

Conservatives love playing the victim

Quillette is an online magazine founded by Australian writer and former psychology graduate student Claire Lehmann. Quillette was launched in 2015. The magazine has been praised by the evolutionary biologist and writer Richard Dawkins, who described it as a "superb online magazine", and has garnered support by the psychologist Jordan Peterson.

en.wikipedia.org...

Quillette "Claire Lehmann". - Google Search

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

It would appear that this comment is written without having read the article, or having completely missed the point.

I read it and responded accordingly.

It seems to be a piece that relies on logical fallacies, confirmation bias and emotions.

You may want to read up on the source you are using and the tactics they employ.

theoutline.com...

edit on 10-3-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I am fascinated by the rhetorical psychology that exist on both sides of the spectrum.

What makes dem knees jerk?

Good thread good subject.
edit on 10-3-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

I read it and responded accordingly.

It seems to be a piece that relies on logical fallacies, confirmation bias and emotions.

You may want to read up on the source you are using and the tactics they employ.

theoutline.com...

Everything you disagree with is a "logical fallacy". It sounds more like you took the piece personally and are reacting emotionally. That's okay. There may be a few open-minded people who will read it and learn something. It obviously wasn't meant for you.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Sure feels good to be 'thoroughly brainwashed'...

I agreed with every word cowboy said as well.

ISIS and ‘American’ leftist progressive liberal Democrats. They may sound different but they really are’t much different. While ‘American’ progressive may not behead someone who they disagree with they will instead smear, hassle and try to ruin anyone who doesn’t toe the line. ISIS just beheads people or burns people alive when someone disagrees with them. So far, ‘American’ progressives haven’t evolved to that, YET.

If an ‘American’ leftist doesn’t like something, they just destroy it, just like ISIS. If an ‘American’ leftist doesn’t like you, or thinks you did something that’s not acceptable to the leftist ideology, they will personally try to destroy you will smears, harassment and sometimes violence. A perfect example of the leftist Democrat smear merchants is George Takei. ‘Sulu’ as he’s better known as called Clarence Thomas a ‘Clown in Black Face’ because he voted against gay marriage. Takei or Sulu didn’t like that, so he smeared Clarence Thomas with racist attacks. Did you hear about this in the media? Of course not! Because they protect their own. I don’t even know if this was brought up on Fox News at all last week. If it was, I didn’t see it.

Any leftist wondering if i’m comparing them to terrorist, yea I am. They like to compare the tea party to the Taliban, so why not show how leftist progressives are very similar to terrorists. Leftists hate this country, just like terrorists. Leftists hate the military, just like terrorists. Leftists hate capitalism and so do terrorists. So tell me again, how do leftists really differ from terrorists?

ISIS vs leftist progressives. Figure it out yet?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join