It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox Critical Error - Hundreds of "Passsword Requested" Windows Popping Up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Yes, I clicked a link (in a thread on the forums here) and Firefox freaked out and gave me hundreds of "Password Required" windows popping up one after another. I had to CNTRL + ALT + DELETE and open the task manager to close Firefox. Everytime I launch Firefox again it does this again.

Here is one pic of the Red Screen, but I'm unable to get a screenshot of the "Password Required" windows.

Is this a "Session History issue" or a "Cache/Cookies" issue? Malware, virus, Trojan horse or worms? AHHH!! Someone please help me! lol any advice would be greatly appreciated

Malwarebytes came up with nothing..

edit on 9-3-2018 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

The phone number in the pic tells me it's Malware. Do you have Ccleaner and/or Malwarebytes? If you don't use another browser such as IE or Google and download them. Run Ccleaner first and make sure it is checked to clean Firefox. Then run Malwarebytes. Firefox is being held ransom until you clean it or call the number and talk to Abdoo and pay him to clean it for you.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
800notes.com...

This is a fraud number phishing for all your personal info.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
What was the infected link?

Second...

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

looks like malware to me!

Get yourself malware bytes anti malware. install the free version. Scan your pc.

Hopefully that will clean up your malware issue.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I am here for your service, sir! Just type dubloo dubloo dubloo dot...

Gotta love ransomware!

I had a customer actually call one while I was working in his office, "I promise it's not legit, just hang up the phone!" I kept pleading with him.

edit on 9-3-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Use the task manager to kill the individual tab instead of just closing firefox. Go through the processes and kill the firefox ones one by one until you find that particular tab. That should fix the problem.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963
a reply to: grey580

No dice with that either

edit on 9-3-2018 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
What was the infected link?

Second...

Either the 1st or 2nd link Seagull posted in the "Active Shooter in CA Veterans Home" thread (that's not the actual title, but that's the gist of it).

It would appear that other individuals did not suffer the same fate as I, or at least didn't mention it from what I can tell.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Reset Firefox to default , that will stop it.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

You might be able to roll back your system to the last update. You may be able to delete your browser cookies. I also agree with seeker1963 who suggested getting a 2nd browser and using IT to download software to fix the problem. You might also be able to uninstall Firefox and re-install, but I would bet it hides something somewhere to make sure it is still a problem if you attempt that fix.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
edit on 2018/3/9 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I'd recommend running a web browser within a VM machine like VirtualBox or VMware. You can set it up to directly run from a Linux or Windows ISO or get the OS installed into a virtual disk. Then the worst that can happen is that you lose the VM machine instance.

I once installed Waterfox on a local directory, was running wireshark in the background and found someone poking around my filesystem from the Canary Islands. My entire local directory of Waterfox then just disappeared.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Those links appear to be good links to me.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Cleared cache/cookies in Firefox, rebooted my system, ran Malwarebytes and it found nothing. Reopened firefox and the issue seems resolved - hoping it doesn't resurface... thank you for the tips Metallicus

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Glad it seems to have resolved itself.

For future consideration, you could also go to your Control Panel, click on Programs, then on Programs and Features. Here you’ll see a list of all programs and installation dates. If you sort by installation date, you may be able to identify the culprit and uninstall it.
edit on 9-3-2018 by Monsieur Neary because: Typo

edit on 9-3-2018 by Monsieur Neary because: Another typo (smh)

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: Metallicus

Cleared cache/cookies in Firefox, rebooted my system, ran Malwarebytes and it found nothing. Reopened firefox and the issue seems resolved - hoping it doesn't resurface... thank you for the tips Metallicus

It is surprising how many browser issues you can fix just from deleting cookies. Some things it fixes is you wouldn’t even think would be related. This is one of the reasons I delete cookies regularly.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 05:13 AM
link   

I ignore BS malware pop-ups like that (written in pidgin English lol). They're really common on sites linking to proxies for P2P and streaming. Using the mouse scroll button closes the tabs and that's about it - don't click anything on the page including any pop-up boxes.

If it helps to reassure you, I've had several hundred of those kinds of maverick pages and never had anything happen. It's the price I pay for Pirate Bay.

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

You have malware..... Just dump your cmptr OFF...hit per PWR button and click nothing... Restart normally with PWR ON....

It's a good fast fix... Click or close NOTHING when it happens.... Just PWR OFF.

And locate what you've done to cause this... Good luck!
edit on 10-3-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

top topics

join