It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shot fired in brawl over parking spot near [University of Cincinnati] campus

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Police: Shot fired in brawl over parking space near UC campus

This story popped up on my local news app this morning, and I thought that it was pertinent to share considering some of the things said surrounding the gun debate, specifically concerning concealed carry.

The general rundown is that two women decided to attack another woman in a parking garage over a parking spot--how goddamn petty is that? Anyhow, these two women sent the victim to the hospital with "significant, but non-life-threatening injuries." So, where does the weapon that was fired come into play?

Well, "luckily" (it's a conscious choice, not luck) the victim was legally licensed to carry a concealed weapon, and she was doing so at the time.

Police said two women attacked a third woman over a dispute for a parking spot in the area.

The victim – a CCW permit holder – fired one shot into the ground, police said.

Police said they determined that the woman who fired the shot was protecting herself.

The other two women were arrested on assault charges.

Now, where this story is short on details, it's big on implications that many anti-gun or anti-Second Amendment people want to ignore: The ability to carry a firearm on one's person has a perfectly reasonable place in society.

I read some of the comments associated with this story on WLWT's Facebook page, and of course I saw all of the hypothetical what-ifs from obvious anti-gun folks: What if the bullet ricocheted and hit a child?; What if her life wasn't in danger?; What if the shot had killed one of the attackers?; Why did she fire the weapon, the attackers didn't have weapons; She obviously wasn't in danger, as the injuries aren't life-threatening; etc., etc.

What the people asking these questions fail to understand is--well, a lot of things, but most importantly, that the law allows for the use of deadly force any time that you truly feel that your life is in danger. Yes, this is a very subjective determination, and sometimes people find themselves having to defend the decision in front of a judge, but that is a much better outcome than your family and friends possibly attending your funeral instead, or sitting at your bedside while your in a coma from your beating.

I do enough training to know that fists and feet are absolutely, 100% deadly weapons, even when wielded by the untrained individual. The point is that the legal right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms, backed by SCOTUS rulings and writings and quotes from the Founding Fathers, as personal protection is a fundamental right in our nation (even though some pretentious states presume a right to pick and choose who can exercise that right), and in many instances, the gun is the only equalizer in situations like this.

I am a proud carrier of a concealed weapon, and my wife soon will be, too (application is "in the mail" [online]), but I hope to never have to use it. In this situation above, the attackers are lucky that one or both did not end up dead, because most of us learn that if you pull out your firearm and squeeze that trigger, you better be read to destroy the threat in front of you.

I don't recommend firing intentionally at a concrete ground, but I don't know if that was intentional in this instance or just a missed shot from a panicked individual, but I would much rather have to explain why an attacker is in surgery with a bullet in their torso than why a stray bullet caused unintentional damage to someone or something. But the fact remains that she was justified in her use of the weapon, and anyone who comments that her life was not in possible danger know little-to-nothing about what can happen during a multiple-attacker scenario.

And all of this over a parking spot.

The ironic thing is, the one with the firearm followed all laws, whereas the ones "without weapons*" are being charged with breaking the law.

Let that sink in, and remember, add this to the always-growing list of appropriate and justified defensive uses of firearms in everyday, unexpected scenarios.

* Fists and other body parts used in an attack can legally be considered weapons. The more you know...
edit on 9-3-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Oh, you know there won't be any mentioning of this on a large scale. Can't have any stories coming out that show guns can be good, in any way shape or form...

Good on her though, had a firearm and defended herself without having to kill anyone; Another reason this won't get attention, because as the left proposes: Weapons are meant for slaughter and death, not warning shots or crime deferment (such as brandishing)

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Or... she could have just let them have the damn parking spot. Not worth fighting over and not worth pulling a gun over.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Or... she could have just let them have the damn parking spot. Not worth fighting over and not worth pulling a gun over.

You mean just go through life letting everyone bully you into getting their own way?

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

I mean pick the battles that are really important. If someone tries to abduct my child, I will fight to the death to protect her. If someone tries to rape me, I will fight to the death to protect myself. A parking space? Nah, you can have it.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Mind you I wish I could carry a gun It would stop people mouthing off.
Like this dude WARNING a naughty word in this video.

Were the ladies all grannies? I know people do not like age restrictions but what about the really old should they have guns?. I wouldn't trust my Grandad Monkey with one.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Road Rage + Gun + School = _______________.
edit on 9-3-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Mind you I wish I could carry a gun It would stop people mouthing off.

If "mouthing off" is all it takes for you to pull a weapon, then thank God you can't. The idiot in the video should have his taken.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

You tubes full of them.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

and that makes it ok....how?

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Guns coming out happens a fair amount in road rage incidents.
How dare you cut me off!

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I don’t think you understand. She had the space and the other two ladies attacked her.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Or, you could not make ignorant assumptions as to who was at fault, because you have no statements from witnesses or the three involved as to what exactly happened.

Nice victim blaming, though, for sure. Maybe you should also note that the two attackers, ages 20 and 43, should have acted appropriately as adults and not let a parking spot cause them to assault an individual with their fists, feet, and then slam her into the glass window of a storefront nearby.

But, yes, I'm sure that the law-abiding CCDW-permit holder who fired a weapon in self-defense and was taken to the hospital with serious injuries is all at fault for the escalation.

It's a parking spot, Kaylaluv, not the last dose of, say, a life-saving medication that all three people involved needed. I don't care if someone "steals" a parking spot or not, that is not justification to assault the hell out of them.

You really need to rethink your blame and who ultimately has the stench of culpability on their breath in this one.

Two more sources with different information each, one of which cites the CPD spokeswoman as being told that the attack was "very brutal."

But, yes, I'm sure the woman that legally parked in a public parking space deserved what she got...seriously? Would you also advocate that the kid in the cafeteria at school get up and move to a different lunch table because two bullies got mad at him for sitting there, and if they started kicking his ass, it would be his fault for not moving?

Or, you know, maybe that wife who got beat for not ironing the abusive husband's shirt well enough should have done a better job instead of maybe try to protect herself? I'm sure that she would have deserved it, right?

Yay, advocating for bullies is fun!

Fox19

The News Record

ETA:

Also, you do comprehend that the gun wasn't pulled over the parking space, right? You actually get that reality of the situation, correct? Your comments lead me (and at least one other) to think that you're not grasping the actual events that happened.
edit on 9-3-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Guns coming out happens a fair amount in road rage incidents.
How dare you cut me off!

And that's illegal brandishing and threatening with a deadly weapon. Not remotely the same thing.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

That's not an appropriate reason to carry a weapon.

If that is your motivation, I hope that you never choose to carry one.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

I don’t think you understand. She had the space and the other two ladies attacked her.

The article doesn’t give details, but I’d be willing to bet there were words before there was a physical attack. If someone starts screaming at me that they wanted that space, I’ll just move on. Not worth standing my ground on a freakin parking space.

Same thing while driving. If someone is trying to cut me off, I’ll let ‘em. Same thing while shopping the big after-Christmas sales. If someone is pushing me out of the way to get an item, they can have it. It’s just not worth it.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I wouldn't need one tbh around here.
My point is there are many many videos showing idiots pulling their guns on folk for petty reasons.
I do think people have to be trained a little better.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I would LOVE to see stats on how many times a gun stops a crime without anyone getting injured.

I had a man try to attack me once. All it took was me pulling my gun out for him to change his mind and run. It could have ended very differently. Without any shots fired I honestly believe it made all the difference.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat

You mean just go through life letting everyone bully you into getting their own way?

That's right.. guns are to stop bullies.

Welcome to your school shootings and revenge murders.

You say it all on your own, without even thinking how you twist it around when a kid does it.. you know, when they feel bullied.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I'll agree with being trained better...sorry if I misunderstood the tone of your comment.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join