It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Members: Want to actively support our troops?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Rodger that, Pte DjFiyaabl8....Out

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

Originally posted by metalfan87
Anyways I just wanted to say thank you for your devoted service I'm so greatful I really am.... THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!! This goes out to all the members here who have also served. THANK YOU ALL!

Much appreciated, MF.

You taking part in this project? Every voice is important.

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

I would like to take part in it. I did support the war in Afghanistan and Iraq and I want us to be successful in both wars. I do think we need to be in Iraq to make it more stable but I agree that maybe were not doin it as fast as we should or could. I'm 17 can I still help or do u think they won't really give a damn about what i say? I want our troops to come home as soon as possible and i think our gov. should be workin hard and fast to get our soldiers home and the gov. to stop draggin there feet. I would love to support this cause because I think the American people should have some sort of power over the gov.

Is there a way we can threaten the jobs of Gov. officials so that they take our views and concerns more seriously or are we really powerless against them? I'm not entirely convinced that a letter will do much and that I think we need a little more of a threat to be taken seriously. I don't mean revolt against the gov. and take control by busting into the capitol and take congressmen and senators hostages... lol But I wish there was a way we could say "if ur not gonna represent us the right way then your simply not capable of having this job." We vote them into a job and so they can represent us so I think we should have the power and the right to fire them from the job and replace them with someone else. Is that over the top dumb idea or is that fair? But even if this doesn't work which I hope it does for our soldiers sake, I am definitly going to join the military as soon as i'm out of high school so I can defend my country and give back to my countrymen who have served before me and who are now serving. So at some point I will actively support them and i'm damn proud to do so!

SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Is there a way we can threaten the jobs of Gov. officials so that they take our views and concerns more seriously or are we really powerless against them?

The goal of contacting your congressman is basically to threaten his job. It's not explicit or hostile, it's implicit. We try to demonstrate that voters are concerned with the issue, which delivers the message that it is politically dangerous to ignore the issue.
It's really more complex than that, and it really is extremely hard to make a difference usually, but any effort at all is better than none. Keeping the spirit of political involvement alive is a reason in and of itself as well. I'd rather lose a thousand fights than lose my right to fight at all.

SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Amen to that. I'm sending you a U2U about your plans to join the military

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

Is there a way we can threaten the jobs of Gov. officials so that they take our views and concerns more seriously or are we really powerless against them?

The goal of contacting your congressman is basically to threaten his job. It's not explicit or hostile, it's implicit. We try to demonstrate that voters are concerned with the issue, which delivers the message that it is politically dangerous to ignore the issue.
It's really more complex than that, and it really is extremely hard to make a difference usually, but any effort at all is better than none. Keeping the spirit of political involvement alive is a reason in and of itself as well. I'd rather lose a thousand fights than lose my right to fight at all.

SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Amen to that. I'm sending you a U2U about your plans to join the military

I wish we could basically fire them tho if they didn't represent us the way we want... it's our country as well as theres. We should have more power than the Gov if the majority of the citizens want something we should change things the way we want in a responsible way. We should be mature and be understanding but if a issue comes up that hurts Americans and the Gov. is behind it we should have every right to punish our very own Gov. for there wrong doing and I believe that would cut down on corruption and wrong doings. It would not correct everything and might make things more complex than some might want but I believe America was based on Checks an balance and i think that would be a good idea...

Vagabond you served in the military as well so I would like to thank you also like I did ECK. I have so much respect for you and him and everyone who has served. Thank you for everything and I hope to proudly serve my country and for my countrymen just like you... Thank you! And thank you for your U2U I would definitly appreciate any help in my military career and some info on training. I plan on joining the Marines... I doubt i'll make it but I will try and if i don't make Marines i'll join the Army. Either way I am devoted to serving my country no matter what. Thank you again!

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I applaud your desire to serve.
It's a sacrifice; and a valuable experience unlike any other. I say this with trepidation, though, considering the fact that I disagree with this administration's policy (now as a civilian). Just the same, I do fully support you in your decision.

If there are any Marines reading this, send Metalfan87 a u2u. I'm sure he'd appreciate any wise counsel you can give. Muchass grassyass and Semper Fi.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
sorry for not jumping to help your cause, but thru personal experience I have found writing letters to Congress people and representatives are usually a waste of time (strictly my opinion) you get a nice generic letter thanking you for your concern and that they will consider your thoughts, blah blah blah and then # happens.

I believe it works. My mom wrote to companies and complained about their products or service and they always sent her vouchers and coupons to keep her as a customer, they were deeply scared. If she was just doing it for the coupons they will have to get it anyway because if all customers know the company doesn't take care of customers the company will die.

If all members of a society know they have spoken and haven't been listened then the goverment will be very afraid. If you are just one person it won't make any difference. The key is to be united and to know five million people actually wrote the letter.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I've begun trying to contact other groups to see if we can get anybody else behind this idea.
I'm going through the whole web of links between a ton of anti war sites. The problem I'm having is that they all come across like a bunch of radical leftists- and nobody is going to want to compromise with just them.
I need help finding where are the conservative troop support organizations and other political groups? We have to pitch this idea to both sides and come at congress looking bi-partisan, or we're going to be easy to ignore.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I've been trying to get existing groups to sign on to this idea in hopes of uniting several smaller voices into one loud one behind a reasonable idea.

I've been sending a standard email (which I seem to have lost) based on the this rough draft.

To whom it may concern,
I am writing to inform you of an attempt being made to reach congress on behalf of our troops and hopefully bring about a compromise between Left and Right which will result in the statement of an exit strategy. At present this is a very small and ambitious effort by myself and a few others on an internet bulletin board, however we hope to cooperate with groups such as yours to gain sufficent support and succeed.
Our plan is simply to reach as many internet users as possible who disapprove of the extended war and convince them to write letters both to their own congressional representitives as well as Henry Hyde (Illinois 6th district, chairman of House International Relations Committee). We are asking everyone who participates to specifically ask Chairman Hyde to promote the following compromise: That the Pentagon should publically state goals for the Iraqi Security Forces, which will signify the completion of the mission in Iraq and thus the time to bring our troops home. Since the President insists on "finishing the job" we just want our troops to know precisely what the job is.

What we hope to gain by cooperating with organizations such as Mothers Against The War is a sense of size, strength, and legitimacy which will increase our ability to gain participation and public attention. If significant coalition of PACs can be rallied to support this suggestion for expediting the end of the war, we believe we can garner media attention for the idea.
Thank you for your time, we look forward to your response and a discussion of how to advance our common goal of bringing the troops home.

Sincerely,
Tom Connors

We finally got a reply, and hopefully will be getting another from the group recommended in the reply from Mothers Against War.

Hi, the idea has merit. Count us in. You might contact Military Families Speak Out--mfso.com on the web, I think.

Daphne Reed, Founder, Mothers Against War

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
hey guys i want to congraulate you on your efforts to suppoort our troops. i am currently serving in the army and am happy to hear support like this. you guys arent trying to be offensive in anyway and i feel you are approaching it in the most respectful and responsible way.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
By servicemen for servicemen bro. I figure since I can't still be a Marine and go help my friends out first hand that I may as well try to do my end for them here as a citizen.
I'm glad we've succeeded in approaching the issue in a way that doesn't show betrayal towards you guys. The last thing we need is another Vietnam homecoming for guys who are only doing what we let the government send them out to do.

[edit on 27-2-2005 by The Vagabond]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TerpTillIDie
hey guys i want to congraulate you on your efforts to suppoort our troops. i am currently serving in the army and am happy to hear support like this. you guys arent trying to be offensive in anyway and i feel you are approaching it in the most respectful and responsible way.

Hey man just wanted to say thank you for your service and sacrifice and that i'm extremely grateful for it. Theres not a minute that goes by that i don't think about our military personnel and hoping for all of there safety. Take care man and my heart goes out to you and to all of our troops! Thank you!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join