It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Members: Want to actively support our troops?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I know that people's attention spans can be short, so I'll begin very directly. EastCoastKid and I have an idea for a compromise that may bring our troops home from Iraq. We want to gather a large group of ATS members who will each write a letter, make a phone call, or attempt to get an appointment with Congressman Henry Hyde to press this idea upon him. We are asking to target Henry Hyde regardless of what district you live in because of his key position as Chairman of the House International Relations Committee.
Although we can not enforce the following request, we respectfully asked that you abstain from particpating in the thread unless you honestly intend to contact Congressman Hyde.

The compromise we suggest is simple. It's not an immediate withdrawl, a criticism of the war, or an arbitrary pullout date. It's a NON PARTISAN suggestion that the Pentagon should set strength goals for Iraqi Security Forces, and that when those goals are reached that it should be considered safe to begin withdrawing troops. Bush said we weren't leaving till the job is done, and all we ask is that our troops know EXACTLY what the job is.

Henry Hyde's contact information is below. We hope that all ATS members who wish to help our troops will take about fifteen minutes to write and mail a letter POLITELY suggesting that the American people want him to publically push for a compromise between Left and Right which names specific goals which would signify the completion of the mission in Iraq and the time to bring our troops home.

Washington D.C.
2110 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington D.C. 20515
Phone: (202) 225-4561
Fax: (202) 225-1166

District Office
50 East Oak Street, Suite 200
Addison, IL 60101
Phone: (630) 832-5950
Fax: (630) 832-5969

In addition

We realize this is an ambitious plan, and we are going to need help. We can get it though if we make enough noise. Here's how.

1. We need to contact other PACs and such groups and encourage them to join us in this effort. If you know a group that might help, tell us about them and let's approch them. This is the big thing we need right now: outside help and advice from people who have experience lobbying.

2. Contact other congressmen or political figures and press this same agenda with them. Ask them to speak to Chairman Hyde about it.
If your congressional district has a moderate republican in congress you have an especially good chance to help.

3. Everything mentioned up till know takes less than an hour. There is no reason not to do the things named above if you believe in this cause. This next request is a little bigger, but if you have it in you this is what will really make a difference.
Talk to your friends, family, and organizations you belong to about writing, calling, or making appointments with your congressman. If even a few people out here can manage to successfully lean on their representitives and get those representitives to advance our idea, we will have a chance.

In antcipation of apathy:
Apathy is its own father. If everyone wasn't afraid that apathy would stop progress then there wouldn't be any apathy to stop progress. Take a few minutes and help out.
This issue has been stagnated and our troops have been screwed because political parties have people called "whips" who make sure that votes split right along party lines and that nobody "defects". Far-right and far-left are playing tug-of-war with our troops' future.
If enough people will take a few minutes WE can "whip" our elected officials and force them towards the middle.
The compromise is simple, it's smart, and to the best of my knowledge nobody of influence has even pressed such an idea. One side wants no criteria for pullout at all, and the other side wants to pull 12,000 troops right this minute- they aren't trying. Let's make them.

Thanks for taking the time to read, now we hope that you'll ask any questions you might have and if you feel inclined to offer your help by contacting Mr. Hyde or your own congressman, we'd love to hear about your effort.

One last thing: if you need info on who your congressman is or how to contact them, just click on your state's name in the list below the map here:
en.wikipedia.org...
Then you can select from the list of your states congressman to find yours.

[edit on 17-2-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
ATS Members: Want to ACTIVELY support our troops?

What? No takers? Come on folks, get ACTIVE. We run our mouths an awful lot, but what do we really do civic-wise? The only way a Democracy can work is if a nation's citizen's PARTICIPATE DIRECTLY!

I'll be back next week to add my two cents to this thread/project. In the meantime, I hope plenty of other people step-up and take this challenge - for OUR TROOPS. Let's put our money where our mouth is. How 'bout it?

I salute you Vagabond for wanting to do more than just TALK.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
What? No takers? Come on folks, get ACTIVE. We run our mouths an awful lot, but what do we really do civic-wise? The only way a Democracy can work is if a nation's citizen's PARTICIPATE DIRECTLY!

Well, after reading this yesterday, I walked over to Tom DeLay's Houston office which is right across the street from me. I mentioned this to his secretary and she told me to go frock myself. So I came back to work and jumped back on ATS.
Is that participation??

Peace

[edit on 17-2-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
When I saw this title my thought was it was to help troops financially. I would be game for that. A few months back on ATS there was a lot of talk about some troops still not having the equipment that they need and were asking family members to purchase it and send it as gifts. I would love to get involved helping in that manner if that help is genuinely needed.

My next door neighbors' son is in the Army and currently in Iraq. I'll ask them their opinion of your suggestion and if they feel it would be beneficial I will be happy to get 'active'.

Jemison

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
My next door neighbors' son is in the Army and currently in Iraq. I'll ask them their opinion of your suggestion and if they feel it would be beneficial I will be happy to get 'active'.

Jemison

Excellent.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
sorry for not jumping to help your cause, but thru personal experience I have found writing letters to Congress people and representatives are usually a waste of time (strictly my opinion) you get a nice generic letter thanking you for your concern and that they will consider your thoughts, blah blah blah and then # happens.

sorry for being so cynical guys, how about you write a generic letter for all of us, I'll take the time to print it, address an envelope and mail it, but I wont' spend my time trying to compose a letter that will most likely only be read by some intern or assistant.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I can certainly understand the cynicism that comes from even the slightest consideration of our government. Believe me, I have no illusions that anybody is really going to roll over and just do the right thing instead of whats good for them personally just because we asked them to. So why bother?
If I was handing out free lotto tickets, would you take one? That's why.
Invest 15 minutes, write to somebody your paper, your congressman, Mr. Hyde, your mom, whatever. You'll miss 7.5 minutes of TV and 7.5 minutes of commericals, and your forefathers won't be disgusted with you anymore. If nothing else it's a good thing to keep the tradition of citizen contact with the government alive, because believe me, the day is coming when your congressman will feel so far beyond you that he wont even send you a lip-service letter.

Originally posted by Dr Love
Well, after reading this yesterday, I walked over to Tom DeLay's Houston office which is right across the street from me. I mentioned this to his secretary and she told me to go frock myself. So I came back to work and jumped back on ATS.
Is that participation??

Peace

[edit on 17-2-2005 by Dr Love]

Yes, if you really made your Congressman's office tell you to froc yourself that is definately participation. Have you considered writing to your local paper about what you wanted to talk to them about and how they responded? If they dont want to listen oh well, but if they told you that just for trying to press an idea for the welfare of our troops, that might be some nasty PR for them.

dh

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Perhaps the real way of acting is jumping these chumps - senators, congressmen, MPs, representatives wherever they are, in whatever public forum, hit them with the 911-war on terrorism-total war falsehoods
It's not enough to be nice, would that it were
To support the troops abroad you need to devastate the media at home with challenge to the order of things

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Seventh grade students at a school in Elizabeth City, NC, were recently given the assignment of writing letters to President Bush asking him to bring the troops back home from Iraq.

Putting aside for now the inappropriateness of the assignment, you might want to contact them and co-ordinate your efforts with theirs.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Either people don't think that this is necessary or they are completely apathetic. Probably a little of both. I personally support both the war in afghanistan and the one in Iraq. I also believe the sooner we are able to do the same thing in Syria, Iran and North Korea the safer we are. I also believe that this is a great idea(writing to this congressman) but also somewhat naive. We are going to have troops in both Iraq and Afghanistan forever. We still have troops in South Korea from a war in the 50s, in Japan and Germany from a war in the 40s and troops in the Phillipines and Cuba from a war with Spain. Spain for God's sake! Our troops are never coming home. Period. Get used to that idea. It doesn't matter whether Democrats or Republicans are in power. they are staying put. Its too bad that we don't respect other cultures more while we are there but that's the way it always has been. Conquering powers always tend to take over the conquered cultures. Darwinism with guns. That's what it is. If it makes us stronger then good as long as we can maintain some sense of morallity in the process. Don't get me wrong. Despite the fact that I'm a conservative leaning libertarian I don't think that everything our country does is right. Unfortunately, we need to decide what is more important. Our survival or theirs. That's what this is really about. Alot of Americans(French, Russians and Germans too) obviously don't grasp this. Either that or they are so apathetic that they don't care what its all about. And don't tell me this about money or oil. We are a country based on making money (maybe unfortunately). So if in the process of securing ourselves from our greater threats we can make some money from the Caspian Sea pipeline or Iraq's oil fields or rebuilding both countries with American companies rather than French then great! If you don't support such things you don't really understand what this country is really about. I myself am very anti consumerism but the truth of the matter is that unless there's a concentrated effort by the masses to change the way that corporations run our country (Fascism, people) nothing will change. They have us where they want us, watching their television networks, reading their papers, surfing their internet, buying their hamburgers. I'll write this guy, because despite my support of the wars I agree we need to know what our goals are. Good luck with this thing.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourrolemodel1973
We are going to have troops in both Iraq and Afghanistan forever. We still have troops in South Korea from a war in the 50s, in Japan and Germany from a war in the 40s and troops in the Phillipines and Cuba from a war with Spain. Spain for God's sake! Our troops are never coming home. Period. Get used to that idea.

Take it easy cowboy, I'm not saying that we can't kill people and have troops abroad to protect our interests and all that good stuff that I know my countrymen like so much. I'm just saying that we haven't got over 100,000 troops in germany and they aren't being shot at. We need to scale back our presence to an acceptible foothold as soon as we can realistically hand the "occupation" over to the local authorities.
I"m assuming that even you think that we need to fight smarter not harder and stop getting my friends shot through the jaw as soon as practicable, right?

Darwinism with guns. That's what it is.

And if we don't adapt to the way things are we'll end up extinct. It's time to start evolving the nature of US forces in Iraq to a more appropriate role so that nobody will want to shoot at them.

Unfortunately, we need to decide what is more important. Our survival or theirs. That's what this is really about. Alot of Americans(French, Russians and Germans too) obviously don't grasp this.

Well so far we've chosen "none of the above" because our leaders wont put a good plan on the table to secure Iraq and get our boys out of harms way in a timely manner so that we can move on to other missions, or god willing maybe even peace.

And don't tell me this about money or oil. We are a country based on making money (maybe unfortunately).

This is an arguement I had hoped to keep out of this thread. To hell with the money, this isn't about which party is more evil. It's about getting the parties to agree on stabilizing that country so that our guys don't have to keep getting shot at and staying away from home in such large numbers for such extended periods of time.

I'll write this guy, because despite my support of the wars I agree we need to know what our goals are. Good luck with this thing.

Now this I appreciate and am glad for. I think this should be a bipartisan effort not to slam the war or press political agendas, but just to put forward an acceptable plan for scaling back our deployments and having Iraqis take over the fighting as soon as can be accomplished without risking failure.
ECK and I have both served in the military, so our main focus is on doing whats right for the people who shoulder that burden for us. There are already enough people concerned with petty politics- they can keep their cynicism and their apathy. We're just looking for people like you who want to do the right thing whatever their beliefs may be. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Have you given thought to creating a letter we can all print and just mail?

maybe more people will be more responsive if they didnt have to do the composing.

One of my reasons for not writing such a letter, is that I cannot do as you request without putting in alot of criticism of the war and this current administration.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Sure. Give me a day or so and I'll put up a polite form letter that you and others can print and sign if you like.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If you want to actively support your troops heres a good way. Try this site. IMO, It's a lot easier to show your support. Its also satifying to know that you directly helped out the troops by sending them a package they need.

www.anysoldier.us...

[edit on 18-2-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Sure. Give me a day or so and I'll put up a polite form letter that you and others can print and sign if you like.

I'll be working on this, too, with The Vagabond. (Sorry for the delay, guys!)

I just wanted to say, I hope this effort will be bi-partisan. There is far more strength in that. Supporting the troops has nothing to do with party affiliation. It has everything to do with demanding that our leaders implement clear strategies and provide fully for our troops' needs.

If you do not wish to take part in this effort, do something else. Write letters to troops. Send them care packages. Find out who in your community has loved ones in the war and volunteer to help those families out here at home. Whatever way you go about it, let us know what you're doing and how its going. You never know, maybe YOU will motivate someone else to pitch in.

Looking back..

It's hard not to get somewhat emotional thinking back to the Gulf War. To this day I have never experienced (personally) such an outpouring of support as back then. [To this day it's difficult for me to listen to the National Anthem ('speshly Whitney Houston's version) and Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" in public.] I guess it made me love this country a thousand times more. The support our citizens showered us with gave us a strength words cannot describe. Each and every day we received BAGS and BAGS full of letters addressed "to any soldier." They'd give us handfuls each night, especially to those who didn't get any mail (which is a Godsend). I wrote back to each and every man woman and child whose letter I read. I even developed friendships with a handful. I saved all that correspondence, too. Not long ago, I read through several of them again. Good thing I was alone, I got really emotional.
I thought about writing to them one more time, after all this time, to just say THANK YOU, once again. For putting aside their valuable time to support someone they didn't even know. It meant everything.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   

It's hard not to get somewhat emotional thinking back to the Gulf War. To this day I have never experienced (personally) such an outpouring of support as back then. [To this day it's difficult for me to listen to the National Anthem ('speshly Whitney Houston's version) and Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" in public.] I guess it made me love this country a thousand times more. The support our citizens showered us with gave us a strength words cannot describe. Each and every day we received BAGS and BAGS full of letters addressed "to any soldier." They'd give us handfuls each night, especially to those who didn't get any mail (which is a Godsend). I wrote back to each and every man woman and child whose letter I read. I even developed friendships with a handful. I saved all that correspondence, too. Not long ago, I read through several of them again. Good thing I was alone, I got really emotional.
I thought about writing to them one more time, after all this time, to just say THANK YOU, once again. For putting aside their valuable time to support someone they didn't even know. It meant everything.

Sorry man I had to reply to this and just say that i'm a very patriotic kid and I had to say thank you for your service. I wish I could tell that to every American who has served this great country. (as far back as the revolutionary war) lol but I know thats not possible but I believe my heart is in the right place. Anyways I just wanted to say thank you for your devoted service I'm so greatful I really am.... THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!! This goes out to all the members here who have also served. THANK YOU ALL!

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalfan87
Anyways I just wanted to say thank you for your devoted service I'm so greatful I really am.... THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!! This goes out to all the members here who have also served. THANK YOU ALL!

Much appreciated, MF.

You taking part in this project? Every voice is important.

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Here is a form letter for those of you who don't feel that you would be up to writing one. You'll need to copy it into a word processing program and insert the address blocks and opening address (I have left the address blank so that this letter can be sent to ANY congressman). You will also need to type and sign your signiture at the bottom of course.
ASK OTHERS TO DO THIS TOO. If you are a senior in highschool, you might want to alert a politically-conscious teacher to this NON PARTISAN effort and see if they will draw the class into it.
EDIT: i know this letter is a bit of a quickie and perhaps not the most eloquent and detailed letter i ever wrote. It's difficult to write a very specific form letter though. Those who can spare 15 minutes should really write their own IMO

The purpose of this letter is to suggest a simple action which can and should be taken in support of our troops. Our troops do much for us and for countless millions whom our nation reaches out to help. We can't thank them enough, we can't pay them enough, we can't always bring them home alive, but we can be loyal to them ahead of our partisan politics. Right now our troops are in a fight that they can not back away from in Iraq, and as usual we can't do many of the things we wish we could do for them. What we can do is give them an idea of when the job will be done.

If there was some criteria in place for when a withdrawl from Iraq could begin, it could boost morale, recruitment, retention, and the attitude of Iraqis towards are troops. Obviously an arbitrary date is not a sound sollution, but we have men in the Pentagon who know their jobs and can give us estimates of how much Iraqi force is needed to make withdrawl feasible. What I ask, and what many other Americans are being encouraged to ask of their elected represntatives, is that you use your office to seek such an estimate from the pentagon. Add every caveat that is needed, ensure that we get the job done and don't have to go back, but show our men that eventually they will win and come home.
Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

[edit on 19-2-2005 by The Vagabond]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
hey I am not from the USA, but from the Netherlands, I still want to help if possible, just tell me what to do

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJFiyaaBl8
hey I am not from the USA, but from the Netherlands, I still want to help if possible, just tell me what to do

Since you don't really have the same access to US officials as their constituents do, there is another thing we could use some help with. We need to find political action committees and anti-war groups online, and we need to contact them and see if they would be interested in signing a letter endorsing this sort of a compromise.
You can choose your own level of involvement- just find the groups for us, or contact them yourself if you prefer. If we can get several groups to all endorse a moderate compromise (as opposed to demanding immediate withdrawl) this would be news-worthy and we might get some real attention for our cause.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join