It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone got a spare hundred boxes of Levis before the SHTF...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 02:31 AM
link   
This is going on in Europe right now, so I decided to put it into the other current events forum :

Although I truly understand what the USA are getting at at imposing taxes on steel and aluminium in order to protect American jobs, I am wondering what this will do on a larger scale internationally?

The European Union is threatening to target some of America’s most iconic brands if Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose swingeing tariffs on imports of steel and aluminium.

Levi's jeans, Harley-Davidson motorbikes and bourbon could all receive tit-for-tat duty hikes, according to Jean-Claude Juncker, the European Commission president.

They include products manufactured in key Republican states as well as orange juice from Florida, a critical swing state in elections.

For his part, Donald Trump shows no signs of backing down, relishing the fight at a time when his White House is once again in crisis, roiled by resignations and awash with rumours of infighting.

"When a country (USA) is losing many billions of dollars on trade with virtually every country it does business with, trade wars are good, and easy to win," he tweeted on Friday morning. "Example, when we are down $100 billion with a certain country and they get cute, don't trade anymore — we win big. It's easy!"

Link : www.telegraph.co.uk...

Trade war anyone?

This reminds me of the late 70s early 80s in Russia... Anyone got a spare pair of Levis for sale? (Tons of cash on the Jean market to be made if this really happens.) (Not just the jean market!)

Just for info : Denim Jeans were invented in France in Nimes (De Nime) : Denim... AND Jeans were invented by a German after the name of an Italian city called GENOA...

Some people might not know this.

Link : www.historyofjeans.com...

Kindest respects

Lags

Ps. Time to put my Harley and crates of JD into hiding methinks!?

edit on 9-3-2018 by Lagomorphe because: Crap spelling

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Here in the South they're going to start hoarding bourbon.

(post by Vector99 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 03:11 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Wow. Way off topic. And a real personal attack.

We southerners drink good ole US made Kentucky bourbon so at least we are safe there.

Trump's attempt to equalize the import/export issue is a long time coming and quite bold. It's effects on our economy will be interesting but I do fear becoming more isolationist which could hurt us in the future. Time will tell.

Being bold on every issue issue is apparently his trademark.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Look first of all it's kind of obvious the latest one to leave the white house was because the taxes were discussed.
Sure it's pretty risky, but Trump isn't only pretending to got the stronger position he does. He already tied it to the spending on military in the NATO, specifically calling out Germany. And it's true, with the UK gone European military is a bit rusty and... almost prehistoric.
Germany will bow for at least five more years, if Germany does, Europe does.
But what bis plan with China is and what he got there I'm not sure, but look at him meeting with Kim. Coincidence?
The shtf but if than east.

edit on 9-3-2018 by Peeple because: Auto

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Levi's are so 1980. It's all designer names now. Hamnet, Pepe, diesel, Eto, G Star..etc. Dont even know if Levi still make jeans in the US. Probably shipped out manufacturing years ago to China.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 04:08 AM
link   

If the U. S want to go all isolationist let them have it, no point in trying to point out the obvious ramifications.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 04:30 AM
link   

cant the UK just hike up whisky export tarrif , everyone loves whisky

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   
First of all, as a german, i have to say thank you Mr Trump, maybe we don´t get TTIP now!!!
Can´t believe that i have to admit that he is doing something good with fighting these "free tradeagreements", but we don´t need gen food and stuff here!
Some months ago 250.000 german people demonstrated against TTIP and now they all should be happy, looks like TTIP will not come now. But they aren´t, because Trump made it possible. That is pure and stupid anti "U"S americanism, for the wrong reasons. If even an idiot does something good, why not saying and celebrating it???

Then there is another thing, if the "U"S sells something to Europe, the "U"S has to pay taxes of around 7.whatever percent. If Europe sells something to the "U"S, we have to pay only 4.whatever percent taxes. That´s what Trump means with unfair tax rules. And again i have to admit, he is right with saying that this is not fair. Imo both should have to pay the same taxes to selling something to each other, but i am not an expert in such things, it`s just my personal feeling.

I don´t know, but i think there is not such a big market in whole Europe for "U"S bourbon, Harley Davidsons and Levis jeans. Levis are like Harleys too oldschool for the people nowadays, they prefer other brands. And Jim Beam isn´t the first choice when it comes to alcohol here. If people want to drink whiskey here, we have Scotland and Ireland in Europe. But there is a huge market for let´s say german cars in the "U"S. How these "U"S citizens would pe p*ssed if their next car would have to be a japanese or "U"S car(they have reasons to buy german cars), because the taxes make german cars too expensive.

At the end the average citizen in the "U"S and in Europe will be the victims of that trade war, we will pay the higher taxes. Everything that is affected will become more expensive for us. Maybe in the near future we can´t buy different things from the others now for a while. But i bet the corporations will still make their profits.

And hey Europe, if you want to fight back in that trade war instead of shooting blank rounds, don´t talk about Levis, Harley and Bourbon Whiskey. Think about Google, Amazon, Apple and Co, those tax dodgers! That is the market that is huge and important for the "U"S here!

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Europe needs these things. They have ALWAYS been crazy expensive in Europe and people still bought them.

The spice must flow.

edit on 3 9 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Nah. I was raised in the hills of Eastern Ky and even though I'm in Illinois now, I'm surrounded by cornfields as far as the eye can see and I just happen to have a huge covered pot and some copper tubing. Ok..maybe some yeast and sugar too.
And more than few Mason jars.

Some of them are even empty.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I get my jeans from Target..

OH SHEEEE... TARGET!!!!!11

My pants are doomed.

good thing it's hot and I go commando. ensures the neighbours keep their curtains closed too.

giggidy..

O.o

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

cant the UK just hike up whisky export tarrif , everyone loves whisky

Most cheap whiskey is just cheap vodka with whiskey flavour.

like most vodka.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe
This is going on in Europe right now, so I decided to put it into the other current events forum :

Although I truly understand what the USA are getting at at imposing taxes on steel and aluminium in order to protect American jobs, I am wondering what this will do on a larger scale internationally?

The European Union is threatening to target some of America’s most iconic brands if Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose swingeing tariffs on imports of steel and aluminium.

Levi's jeans, Harley-Davidson motorbikes and bourbon could all receive tit-for-tat duty hikes, according to Jean-Claude Juncker, the European Commission president.

They include products manufactured in key Republican states as well as orange juice from Florida, a critical swing state in elections.

LOL. As if American products aren’t already tarriffed to the point of absurdity around the world, and as if they haven’t been for decades. How long do Americans have to support the rest of the world?

Oh, and you have to look pretty carefully these days to make sure jeans branded “Levis” are actually made in America - most are not.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I’ll just leave a little Link and let people check the last edit date in the header for when Levi’s were American made.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

yeh wasnt talking about the cheap #e , only jakies drink that pish

im talking aboot the gid stuff

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us

How long do the rest of the world have to put up with american egotism

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
This would have been such a great idea....
decades ago before they shipped so much of our manufacturing overseas..
but now, the question he needs to ask himself is weather or not we have the manufacturing capability to produce the goods in the US.. and how long would it take to build up our manufacturing base... and labor... to be able to come even close to what we were doing before the age of off shoring and globalization.
I'm sure that Europe and the rest of the world can live without their levis, bourbon and harleys, they probably have products that will be easily substituted for them being made there or in countries that they are on friendly terms with. I have my doubts if we could even clothe ourselves if we had to go it alone.
No one wins in trade wars but I think the biggest losers would be countries like the US who have chased down the cheapest labor to produce our necessities for the last 40 years!!

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: Lab4Us

How long do the rest of the world have to put up with american egotism

Maybe from now on if you consider Americans standing up for themselves considered egotism. Just wait until Trump gets his footing on reestablishing our trade deals. I have a feeling way more heads will roll before its all over. I'm excited to see what happens with Nafta now that tariffs are currently on hold for Canada and Mexico based on those negotiations.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join