It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump signs aluminum and steel tariff order that will take effect this month

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

And during his speech he made a hand gesture that drew a "Q" in the air.

ytcropper.com/cropped/We5aa1b3278dd0a

Make of it what you will

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Two big points here. One is that Trump likes an edge when he works a deal. He said that NAFTA was incredibly unfair for America and said it needs to be redone at which both Canada and Mexico flipped him the bird. Now he will ask them again and they will come to the table for renegotiation.

The second is China does unfair trade practices, they subsidizes industries by undercutting well below what any company can compete. They are willing to sell at a loss for decades to wipe out whole industries to one day sell at any price they want. They will gain market control in other countries by using direct bribes and other unethical practices, so in the end what do we do, just sit back and take it?

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry
a reply to: bender151

Fine, they have to deal with the tarrifs now too.

And then that jacks the prices up here on everything we import, for the consumer, thats NOT a good thing, ...

who knew slave labor made products cheaper,

you mean paying factory workers an actual wage raises the price of products? what a shocker!!

your right that is not good we better stop these tariffs so we can continue to enjoy products produced by Chinese slave labor, so great to have you here to set us straight on the bottom line! profit! cheap products cheap work force lets remind trump we like slave made products over their higher priced freedom made products!!! because they cost less! thank you china for destroying our manufacturing industry by producing products at prices we couldn't compete with due to your slave labor and government subsidies. how else am i gonna get the next new crapple iphone!
edit on 8-3-2018 by NobodiesNormal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I hope this will have a positive effect on the environment.

I may be getting to be a bit of a hoarder in my old age, but I just have this thing about throwing away metal. I save all my pet food cans. Whenever I have to throw out an old appliances I bring it in the shop, take it apart, and save the copper, steel, and aluminum. Every six months or so I take it to the recycling plant. Last time I took a truckload of aluminum and only got about $38. When I think of the time I spent peeling labels and scrapping old heaters and such, It hardly seemed worth it. Especially when you consider I that to store this stuff until it's worthwhile to bring it in, or I don't have the room to store any more.

But metal is money, I say. If I had just thrown it all in the trash it would have just wound up in a landfill somewhere. Maybe if steel and aluminum prices rise, more people will do what I do and I won't feel like such an oddball. America could go a long way to supplying it's own aluminum and steel if everyone recycled. Plus we would have less in landfills and less environmental damage from mining.

Make Metal Great Again!

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: NobodiesNormal

a reply to: bender151

Fine, they have to deal with the tarrifs now too.

And then that jacks the prices up here on everything we import, for the consumer, thats NOT a good thing, ...

who knew slave labor made products cheaper,

you mean paying factory workers an actual wage raises the price of products? what a shocker!!

your right that is not good we better stop these tariffs so we can continue to enjoy products produced by Chinese slave labor, so great to have you here to set us straight on the bottom line! profit! cheap products cheap work force lets remind trump we like slave made products over their higher priced freedom made products!!! because they cost less! thank you china for destroying our manufacturing industry by producing products at prices we couldn't compete with due to your slave labor and government subsidies. how else am i gonna get the next new crapple iphone!

Be snarky all you want and play the high ground, but it hasnt hit your pocket book yet.

you can sit there and spew all that rhetoric all day long, but I dont want to hear you whine and cry and complain when the cost of everything you buy goes up so much you cant afford it.

Which is exactly what happened in the great depression.

Im only supplying you with facts, it really doesnt matter to me if you like it or not.

China didnt destroy anything, China did what it always does, WE have destroyed our own market because we have STOPPED PRODUCING.

I always love when people come on spouting their rhetoric and know nothing of the economy.

you hate slave labor but damn near everything you buy in walmart, your big box stores, or everything from your milk to your electricity is dependent on the market and wages.

When we have to start making everything we consume its going to be a real tough pill to swallow because wages are going to have to go up, which means production is going to get more expensive, which means YOUR prices as an every day consumer will skyrocket.

Be prepared to deal with that, but hey, I can tell by your knee jerk reaction and arrogant attitude you probably wont.

I have only stated facts, nothing else, and SOME of my opinion.

It is what it is , Doesnt matter if you like it or not.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

a reply to: BlueAjah

US Steel will in demand again, after decades of decimation from imports

Not if other countries retaliate, and if the countries we tariff decide "Fine Fk it" and start selling their products to other countries at a discount, to undercut the prices THOSE countries are buying from us.

There are two sides to every coin and people really really need to weigh things out.

Good, let them sell to venezuela instead of the USA.

Or Germany.

We make our own!

Dems, too funny.

Dems too funny? There aren't any conservatives who are thrilled about trump raising taxes.

Here is a quote from the most fiscally responsible republican in congress..

Rand said, “[A] tariff is a tax, and typically Republicans, conservatives, have not been for more taxes. So, I’m against new tariffs. They’re simply a tax on the consumer.”

He added that President Trump’s tariff proposal is “the wrong thing to do. If you look at steel use in our country, there are 60 people purchasing steel for every person making steel in the country. So, there’s a lot of people who purchase steel that are going to be hurt by this. My state alone exports $20 billion worth of products, including a lot of farm and agricultural products. And if there’s a trade war, we stand to lose in a big way. And really, the United States will lose in a trade war.”

What is funny are bubbas who support trump pretending like they understand economics, like it's a simple thing.
edit on 9-3-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

This is a great idea to build that wall. His projections for how much the wall would cost was incorrect for the before the tariffs current standard pricing, I did the math myself. This was one of the few things that have made the wall viably purchasable in his debt ceiling for the wall. Without this tariff, the wall would cost billions more, everyone knew this was coming.

P.S.. I said a lil more than half a year back to invest in the market of U.S Steel & Allegheny Technologies cause I saw this coming
edit on 9-3-2018 by SatansPride because: PS down**

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: SatansPride

His plan was to outrage conservatives so they won't vote for his wall?

By the time that vote comes up its more likely the economic problems of US exports hitting a tariff wall of their own will come into effect.

It's an awfully big gamble for a low probability of success. With the economy. Not personal stocks.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
4 out of 5 of the US's biggest exports require steel & or aluminium to manufacture.

Interested in how making these goods more expensive will help American workers.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

That's why u.s steel is plummeting because the steel market is so unpredictable for a moment. In a couple weeks will be the best time to invest. The steel market will skyrocket. I may have a 50 50 opinion on the wall, but without it, would we even consider bringing steel companies to the u.s?, Without a plan for mass production it would be close to zero chance we would consider that. It's like buying a hundred magazines to distribute, only a dummy would by them before he has a buyer.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: SatansPride

That's why u.s steel is plummeting because the steel market is so unpredictable for a moment. In a couple weeks will be the best time to invest. The steel market will skyrocket. I may have a 50 50 opinion on the wall, but without it, would we even consider bringing steel companies to the u.s?, Without a plan for mass production it would be close to zero chance we would consider that. It's like buying a hundred magazines to distribute, only a dummy would by them before he has a buyer.

Well, most conservatives are for free markets not tariffs. I assume this will be blocked or mitigated in Congress since it has close to zero support.

Trade wars are really not something to get involved with. These are long term congressional fixes for trade imbalance. When you you jerk a block out from the stack you get a topple.

If us products can't be exported do to raised tariff prices the steel market and stocks aren't going anywhere.
edit on 9-3-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Supply & demand. Alcohol, drugs, guns, beanie babies, antiques, business all run off the same principle. Take away our guns?, I'll buy more, now we armed to the teeth. Make steel more expensive?, Everyone be rushing to get first dibs & lowest possible cost.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   

That is why our last conservative president was way before we needed money. A lot of conservative ideas are great & very valuable, but let's face it, we would be broke as hell if they were president in today's world. Maybe tomorrow world will be built for conservatives.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   

a reply to: ScepticScot

Supply & demand. Alcohol, drugs, guns, beanie babies, antiques, business all run off the same principle. Take away our guns?, I'll buy more, now we armed to the teeth. Make steel more expensive?, Everyone be rushing to get first dibs & lowest possible cost.

Macro economics are just not that simple.
You are talking about extreme short term gains for long term damage.

How long does it take an export business to go bankrupt with a supply line collapse?

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

That is why our last conservative president was way before we needed money. A lot of conservative ideas are great & very valuable, but let's face it, we would be broke as hell if they were president in today's world. Maybe tomorrow world will be built for conservatives.

This whole statement is absurd.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I don't know what the goal of this move is but it will negatively impact my business. We're just in the process of opening a second location which is going to require the purchase of a new brew system. This is going to make an already very expensive purchase cost even more. Meanwhile cans are going to start costing more meaning I see less profit per sale.

Way to hurt American business Mr. President.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Hold up. You brew beer? Like with alcohol in it?

Do you need a friend?

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Idk if you eat food, but if they start shorting that out I'm sure you will buy more to feed yourself. Business is anything but simple, but in reality, it's as easy as taking away your favorite drink so you buy more. Plus they said the same thing about cigarettes, preservative food, gas all raising prices out of nowhere, people went for it. It'd be insane to keep doing that over & over again & expect different results. & Your question is very circumstantial, you mean steel specifically?

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   

You don't like conservatives?

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: SatansPride

Supply and demand is not the entire equation. It isn't that simple by any means.

What this leads to is more cost for the consumer.

That is it. Plain and simple. There is no situation this benefits a majority.

It benefits in the very short term 1 in 60 who work for the Steele industry.

This will literally help our competition expand their markets while we retract our own simply for nationalism.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join