It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration Makes Elephants Fair Game For Hunters As Trophy Ban is Lifted

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet
oh No, this is terrible.
How can you not feel heartbroken over it?
Unless of course you indulge in killing animals for sport and self gratification.

Leave the animals alone!

i feel worse about eating meat from enslaved animals myself. Trying to ween myself off or at least find much better meat from happy cows or whatever.

Killing a wild animal quickly is the best their life can offer them. They are all going to die and we all kill to live.

Im not in support of shooting elephants dont get me wrong.

I just dont think people realize what goes into grocery stores.. its not killing if its wrapped in plastic by somone else? Its just putting a hit out through a third party. You still killed the cow.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scrubdog

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: lostbook

I'm sure this will lower the price of Elephant Trophies. That will make collectors happy, but poachers and smugglers pissed.

No, all it does is put a price on hunting one.

They left it open to "individual case by case decisions" - you can bet that people who donate big money to Trump will have their case looked on very favorably.

It's nothing more than a means to profit off the presidency. There is no other justification for it. None.

Im baffled sometimes though I shouldnt be. Trump and Wildlife and game are at odds with each other. Trump cannot force the court to change their decision. Nor can he force the boss of wildlife and game to give out or not give out tags, or whatever it is.

Take it up with the courts, the NRA, Obama for not following the law in the first place.

Trump could reban it but not right away. One of the caveats per the court ruling is this has to be open to public debate for a period of time. hope he does, but after he brings it up it would still be months before he could make any action.

I swear people could read 10 years ago.
edit on 7-3-2018 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

I just dont think people realize what goes into grocery stores.. its not killing if its wrapped in plastic by somone else? Its just putting a hit out through a third party. You still killed the cow.

You'll like this one

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
“Trophies” are earned, in competition, which takes place on a level playing field...

Shooting defenceless creatures dead from a safe distance does not meet that criteria, in any way whatsoever!

To claim otherwise is nothing but absolute garbage.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

It's arguable they may be more self aware, and intelligent that we can imagine..Trump is a POS for this..his kids and other useless life forms/trophy hunters can choke on a d#ck.
Elephants stay with their mothers for up to 16 years, they mourn their dead, I can go on..food for thought.
www.slate.com...
edit on 7-3-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-3-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I agree, about the overturning everything, pandering to that aspect that he is doing something. There's a growing list for that. Also, that his sons likes to hunt big game, this would be on the personal list of interest as well.
edit on 7-3-2018 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Why is an elephant so important to protect? What about other hunted animals?

They are clever
Elephants

Elephants manifest a wide variety of behaviors, including those associated with grief, learning, mimicry, play, altruism, use of tools, compassion, cooperation, self-awareness, memory, and communication. Further, evidence suggests elephants may understand pointing: the ability to nonverbally communicate an object by extending a finger, or equivalent. It is thought they are equal with cetaceans and primates in this regard. Due to such claims of high intelligence and due to strong family ties of elephants, some researchers argue it is morally wrong for humans to cull them. Aristotle described the elephant as "the animal that surpasses all others in wit and mind."

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Trump is a garbage human being

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

I agree completely

but he didn't do this.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs

oh No, this is terrible.
Unless of course you indulge in killing animals for sport and self gratification.

Leave the animals alone!

i feel worse about eating meat from enslaved animals myself. Trying to ween myself off or at least find much better meat from happy cows or whatever.

Killing a wild animal quickly is the best their life can offer them. They are all going to die and we all kill to live.

Yes of course that also true.
I don’t eat much meat myself, never liked it.

As for elephants they are endangered and to lure it to its death, just to take its tusks for ivory or some dumb selfie holding its tail. It’s such a shame to waste a life over some selfie or for decor in their homes. Or whatever it is that gets done.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

I agree completely

but he didn't do this.

Reading up, I will take my view of Trump (on this subject at least) and mirror his current decision...Trump is a garbage human being -on hold until he reviews conservation facts-.

Pretty simple to me:
NRA: Hey Trump...Obama did a thing but a T wasn't crossed...should we undo it?
Trump: Almost definately, but just out of curiousity, what is it?
NRA: Murdering one of earths most intelligent and caring creatures
Trump: Lemme think on that, hmmm...

Really the proper answer should have been... "NO! get outta here with that..cross the damn T already and stop with that nonsense you psychos!"...but will wait for the inevitable quiet friday evening when he signs off on dismantling it before fully cursing him

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Good luck finding one to hunt. Most have been put in protected areas / sanctuaries, but that doesn't affect the poachers who provide the Asian medicine dealers with the ivory.

On the other hand, it's totally fine to put them in zoos in countries they are not native to(anywhere with winter-freezing temps) and confine them to 200×200 ft area so morons can take pictures of them.
edit on 7-3-2018 by Hewhowaits because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

trump had nothing to do with this decision.. yet you're still gonna reeeeeee out?

thats why you arent taken seriously

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

originally posted by: Gothmog

Trump Administration Makes Elephants Fair Game For Hunters As Trophy Ban is Lifted

My question to you is , when is the last time an elephant was reported in the wild in the US ?

These are wild Elephants from Africa. Obama put a ban on the import of Elephant body parts for trophies. Now with the ban lifted there will be more Elephants hunted and killed.

False they aren't wild necessarily they are on preserves and part of the conservation program there...

information is your friend

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
This thread is comedy gold...

Its to early, and I am to tried to put the effort in educating but it sure would be nice if people would I don't know read on occasion rather than go Trump.... ARGLE BARGLE.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   
So, the rich people won't have to bribe the import officials anymore. Bummer, those guys won't be able to buy Nice personal 4x4s anymore, they will have to settle for less expensive vehicles. Now they will have to start eating at McDs again too, there goes the health insurance rates in California and New York again.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   

oh No, this is terrible.

Leave the animals alone!

You were supposed to put a frown up with that post, not a smiling one.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 10:58 PM
link   
This is absolute garbage. Using a gun to hunt means someone is a damn horrible hunter. If you choose to hunt use a bow or a spear. A gun just goes to show someone’s inability to use all their senses.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
What says ATS?

Unless and until elephants start roaming the wilds of the USA, the US government really has no business making any laws regarding elephant trophies, period. This was the right call by the administration... let the countries that have wild elephants make the decisions on whether or not they can be legally hunted, same as I demand this country's controls over our animals remain 100% sovereign.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
This is absolute garbage. Using a gun to hunt means someone is a damn horrible hunter. If you choose to hunt use a bow or a spear. A gun just goes to show someone’s inability to use all their senses.

No, actually it shows that humanity evolved beyond primitive tools while our prey failed to evolve beyond primitive armoring and camoflage.

ETA: I am a bow hunter as well as a rifle hunter. Know your game, know the proper weapon to use. Go against an elephant with the normal American bow** or a spear, have to injure the animal numerous times, making it suffer and, more importantly, stressing it to the point where the meat becomes tough and strong flavored due to acid and stress hormone buildup in the tissue. Go against an elephant with a .470 NE, one shot, one kill, animal dies with minimal suffering and the meat is pristine and greatly appreciated by the closest African village which will accept the meat and feed their families for some days with it.

When I say "normal American bow" I mean one of the more common draw weights. Most modern big game bowhunters are pulling, at most, 65 lbs. I pull 85, but I'm not a small man. Most African hunts mandate 90 lb draw weight minimum, and recommend over 100 lb for anyone not greatly experienced in African big game hunts. Remember, primitives didn't care if the critter looked like a pin cushion, they were using the best tools at their disposal at the time to put food in the hut... same as modern rifle hunters, only firearms are more efficient and more humane assuming the proper practice and training of the shooter.
edit on 7-3-2018 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join