It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burger-flipping robot begins first shift

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

You ever read Brian lumley’s necroscope series??

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

This round of robots won’t replace gormet chefs, what about the next round with pre-programmed tasting sensors???

There is no work robots won’t be able to do someday..

Even things like music and art are almost certainly not unreplicatable.

Ever since we sharpened the first stick. We were always going to make human labor irrelevant one day.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Your exactly right OP.
People piss and moan that robotics are killing jobs.
But in reality, it's opening the door for more opportunities in meaningful employment.
Until AI is sophisticated enough to make critical decisions,
Even in the fast food business- example customer service.( dealing with the public, addressing issues, sophisticated problem solving skills)
There will always be a need for employees.
It's the prospects best interest to adapt and evolve as an employee.

Personally, I welcome this tech and the daily advancements in it.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

You turn the dial that controls how long they cook them..

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

And it can guarantee it will not spit on that burger, or otherwise contaminate it as have seen in the past by some less-than-honorable workers that had a "beef" with the management. (I know, bad pun, but I JUST HAD TO WRITE IT).

There's the beef. Let's hear it for fast food not cooked by underpaid workers with poor attitude. Of course, they'll have to work at something else. Next thing you know, the corner drug dealer will be a driverless car with a robot in the back seat!

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
Personally, I welcome this tech and the daily advancements in it.

There have been very few technical advancements that led to fewer opportunities in the long run.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Namdru
Next thing you know, the corner drug dealer will be a driverless car with a robot in the back seat!

Nonsense. In California we're delivering our recreational drugs by drone.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

How smart can "Robby" be? He can't even load a pic right... oh wait.. hahahaha

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Hmmmm, makes me want to start taking classes in robotics...

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: toysforadults
many of those displaced workers will learn now more valuable skills and a lot of those people will learn your skill and devalue the job you do but go on... judge and talk crap... you're next

My job could very well be automated, but it won't be because some burger flipper is replacing me. "Retraining" is a pipe dream.

retraining is actually the status quo for people my age. If you haven't heard careers change every 4 or 5 years or so for Millennial's.

like I said.. none of you guys are A that important and B irreplaceable

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I'm thinking it is just marketing.

Conveyor grills have been around a long time.

You don't even need anyone to build them either. Anyone remember the McDLT?

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Pay raises have nothing to do with this. It was cheaper under the old wage already. These robots cost about $2/hour to run, no one can work for that price. So it's coming. The $15/hour minimum wage battle is already over too, and it lost. By the time it is implemented, inflation will have already kicked it to $25/hour being needed.

Automation is going to happen, people cannot work cheaply enough to prevent it.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
Sure if you put 5-10 years into it....until then, kid, you'll be working for me.

Any decent education is 10 years minimum, 15 is better. What makes you think they haven't?

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

more like technology just replace 2 jobs.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
The software better be ironclad, or we will be seeing things like "The best sculpture ever made in hamburger and cheeze of Ronald McDonald..."

link   
dup post removed
edit on 7-3-2018 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

link   
dup post removed (ATS SLOW TONIGHT)
edit on 7-3-2018 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
High pay, slave labor wages, makes no difference, all jobs will be lost to robots in the next 50. Would you rather have a doctor working on you with the possibility of mistakes due to a thousand different human variables (up late last night, got a cold chill and shook a bit, etc) or a robot who will flawlessly preform a extremely detailed surgery in record time without fail.

Humans won't go extinct, but we will need to find a new meaning of life outside of we are what our jobs are.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
Automation is going to happen, people cannot work cheaply enough to prevent it.

Indeed, many chinese plants who pay their employees pennys a hour are replacing the employees with robots because...cheaper.

It soon really will be the society of haves and have nots.

but..if nobody has money, who will buy the burgers

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Namdru

And it can guarantee it will not spit on that burger, or otherwise contaminate it as have seen in the past by some less-than-honorable workers that had a "beef" with the management. (I know, bad pun, but I JUST HAD TO WRITE IT).

There's the beef. Let's hear it for fast food not cooked by underpaid workers with poor attitude. Of course, they'll have to work at something else. Next thing you know, the corner drug dealer will be a driverless car with a robot in the back seat!

Someone got busted for using drones for delivering drugs recently. They got caught because of the payment, people tossed it out onto their lawn as they drove by. The neighbors called the police because people were throwing junk on their neighbors lawn.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join