It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burger-flipping robot begins first shift

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Well, it has begun. When the fast food workers demanded higher pay, many of us predicted this was coming as the response. If it is cheaper to program a robot to do your job, then perhaps you need to improve or expand your skillset to survive.

Burger-flipping robot begins first shift

Flippy, a burger-flipping robot, has begun work at a restaurant in Pasadena, Los Angeles.

It is the first of dozens of locations for the system, which is destined to replace human fast-food workers.

Hear that, first of DOZENS planned to replace humans in this very low skilled role in the food industry.

Meet 'Flippy,' a burger-flipping robot alternative to wage-earning workers

A burger-flipping robot that doesn't require a paycheck or benefits, and can grill 150 burgers per hour, is now a cook at CaliBurger.

And it can guarantee it will not spit on that burger, or otherwise contaminate it as have seen in the past by some less-than-honorable workers that had a "beef" with the management. (I know, bad pun, but I JUST HAD TO WRITE IT).

But all is not lost,

But those worried about a robot takeover of food-industry jobs can find comfort in knowing that Flippy still needs a human guide to place the patties on the grill. The robot also displays the burgers' cooking times on a screen so its human co-workers know when to top the patties with cheese and to start dressing them with lettuce and tomatoes, according to Miso Robotics, the Pasadena-based company that developed the "world's first" burger-flipping robot.

In addition, Flippy can rotate through spatulas for raw meat and cooked meat (to prevent cross-contamination) and clean those spatulas while the burgers are cooking. Another skill: Using a scraper to keep the surface of the grill in good shape.

So if you only have the skill to place raw burger patties on a hot grill without burning yourself, or can open a pre-sliced cheese package and place it upon the hot burger without getting in Flippy's way, don't expect that massive pay raise. Because I guarantee you the makers of Flippy are working on programming those skills into the bot right now.

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
A robot will never replace a human burger flipper until it learns how to sneak out and get high behind the dumpsters when nobody's looking.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Regardless of higher pay it was always coming.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
LMAO!!! True that! Burgers just ain't what they use to be Blue Shift!! LOL!
edit on 7-3-2018 by rockhndr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Whose job did flippy replace? I think it will cost more to maintain him, due the grease contamination, than what he saves the company.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

There are robot "bartenders" that is another growing trend (see Royal Caribbean cruise ships, Las Vegas, probably UAE for another example)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Whose job did flippy replace? I think it will cost more to maintain him, due the grease contamination, than what he saves the company.

Maybe he comes with a service warranty. But you're right. Human beings are very cheap unskilled labor these days, particularly if you make them buy their own uniforms and don't give them any insurance coverage.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
A robot will never replace a human burger flipper until it learns how to sneak out and get high behind the dumpsters when nobody's looking.

I don't think that thing will be sneaking into the walk in cooler with a waitress to make the special sauce either.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Sweet I hope Dairy Queen gets them. I love me a Dairy Queen flame thrower burger but my local shop always burns the patty's to hell.

It's just a vending machine for burgers, when you want a 15$ minimum wage for menial work you get replaced with flippy.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Back in the days of horse and Cart people laughed at the first automobiles too, how many are on the road now?

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust I think it will cost more to maintain him, due the grease contamination, than what he saves the company.

Unlikely.

Enclosure design is ridiculously easy when you have a small number of potential contaminants.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

How long until He/She/It puts up a "tip jar" and does pretty doodles on the side? What will Her/His/It's first tattoo look like?

More importantly...

Marlboro™ Reds or Menthols, You know for the Federally Required Worker's Rights for droids "smoke break"

Edit: You know if We discount the whole location question.. Pasadena and Los Angeles are 2 different cities/municipalities.
edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Ummm...grease contamination...?

The little bugger will last forever with some daily burger spooge to grease it's wheels...

They'll never have to maintain it...just have it hose itself down after every shift and smear some burger grease on it's joints every hour or so...

Like a fine Swiss watch...that smells like fries...

Mmmm...mmm...mmm...mmm...mmm...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Will have to see if it's catches on in popularity. Maybe, even though arguably this seems more hygienic, people might find humans are their more comfortable option. Especially if they weigh in preserving jobs and more. Doesn't mean the corps will care either way, and likely will go with what saves them the most money.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
did they pass the new robot tax yet?

we gotta pay for the rising unemployment benefit somehow.
edit on 7-3-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

originally posted by: carewemust I think it will cost more to maintain him, due the grease contamination, than what he saves the company.

Unlikely.

Enclosure design is ridiculously easy when you have a small number of potential contaminants.

I know nothing of that particular restaurant but some fast food places use grease that has something really terrible in it. You put the hamburger outside and even the ants stay away.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I wonder how much the robot costs initially. And then the costs for electricity and maintenance.
Also. If the robot breaks down. Who's gonna flip the burgers?

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I want to be the first to welcome our new robot overlords.

Praise our new rulers!

And I'd like fries with that to go.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

I wonder how much the robot costs initially. And then the costs for electricity and maintenance.

God I hope he doesn't have a personality. They are really strong you know. Bitch slap you with that greasy arm and you are out for hours.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

My guess is it would be leased out to the franchise, for a monthly cost (likely less than paying a human for that job), which would include a service and maintenance contract as well. Over time it is amortized to the business and eventually (if not replaced by a newer model lease) would be profit producing. No need to pay for sick days, vacation, insurance, soc-sec, etc... all those extra business expenses that the $15.00/hr folks either o not realize is there for the business or do not care about it as a business cost.

Can't really claim that for any human flippers.
edit on 3/7/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join