It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creator of Pepe the Frog is suing Infowars

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: imitator

Yes. You can use it for a political poster. However you cannot take that poster and then sell prints of it to make a profit.

You can sell fair use images if they are political, trans-formative or parody like. It's like selling fan art. Though it would be the court who decides.... mostly likely it will be considered fair use.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: Butterfinger

originally posted by: blueman12
Well, just another case were alt-right has become a joke. It's too bad they can't see it.

Pretty sure everyone wearing a pepe image knows that its a joke based on the ridiculous assertion that he represents White Power in some way.

You got trolled and are still falling for it.

What in your opinion does the image of "Pepe" represent?

The ability to turn anything into anything a person wants with the internet and 4chan?

Pretty soon a plain circle will be perceived as racial hatred. Or a maybe a Guinea Pig will.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Sure, take some Disney characters, use them the same way, selling the posters..see what happens.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Lots of Artist do..... especially on ebay with prints etc.

Besides, the Creator of Pepe is suing the wrong person, Alex Jones didn't create the poster art.
edit on 08030831pm312018Wed, 07 Mar 2018 19:08:39 -0600 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I think Disney is pretty hardcore when it comes to their images being used, I can imagine though lots of that stuff coming out of China, in these cases I think the best they can do is a cease and desist..probably what will end up happening here.
I'm not sure who is creating the posters..no link in the OP, but I will take your word on it, I gather Jones is selling them though, a case for a cease and desist at least.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Yes. You can use it for a political poster. However you cannot take that poster and then sell prints of it to make a profit.

Exactly, gonna be interesting for the defense lawyer proving Pepe as a political cult figure that is free for all from copy-write.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Where is it fair use? That would be a stock image bank as a source of it. Google images and more are not, they even share the message below the image "this may be copy-written". Can you share a source of that and or of where Pepe stock images exist?

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

No telling what source was used, as there are thousands of meme images of Pepe.

Also, Pepe being used as a political meme (parody).... that would include "protected speech." First Amendment protection.

if Pepe wasn't a huge political meme, then there would be a case... but Pepe is part of political US history.

edit on 09030931pm312018Wed, 07 Mar 2018 23:09:05 -0600 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: imitator
a reply to: vonclod

Lots of Artist do..... especially on ebay with prints etc.

You CAN NOT Legally copy/use any licensed Disney Character without permission.

Just because people do it, does not make it legal.

Copyright is automatic to the creator of the artwork.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I'm not an expert, but I expect the counter argument will be that Pepe entered the public domain, both as a device of free expression and a symbol of it.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

But isn't that for the creator to decide?

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

If Mickey Mouse was used as an alt left political meme...
Your Disney art could be used as reporting history, parody and transformative etc. and it may qualify as a fair use image under the Copyright Act since it’s a commentary on an original work.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Your Disney art could be used as reporting history, parody and transformative etc. and it may qualify as a fair use image under the Copyright Act since it’s a commentary on an original work.

What the hell does alt-left have to do with this?

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Pepe is an impressive frog to trigger so many people....

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

What the hell does alt-left have to do with this?

It's an example: www.urbandictionary.com...

Top definition
alt-left
1) People, who ban other's freedom of speech, because they feel "uncomfortable" hearing different opinions.

about as much to do with Disney.... lol
edit on 26032631am312018Thu, 08 Mar 2018 01:26:40 -0600 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: FlyingFox

But isn't that for the creator to decide?

I think it's like when a company name becomes a verb...."to google", it enters the vernacular.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   
This is why the creator is going after regaining his copy write again, likely that he will win it.

There are arguments to be made that the alt-right is actually engaging in fair use, but these types of cases tend to come down to the individual opinions of the court due to the vague legal guidelines that are used. Furie has other outstanding cases still working through the legal system, but his first, against the author of an Islamophobic children’s book, ended with a settlement. The book was removed from shelves and all profits went to the Council on American-Islamic Relations.
Source

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Furie will not win shi# against Alex Jones, because Furie is an idiot.

AJ's has a counter suit in the works... Praise KeK!!

Matt Furie’s lawsuit against Alex Jones for copyright violation over his Pepe the Frog cartoon has taken an interesting turn after an interview was uncovered in which Furie openly encouraged anyone to “profit off of” his creation.

Pepe The Frog Creator Encourages People To Profit Off His Creation

Pepe is a free frog .
edit on 49034931am312018Fri, 09 Mar 2018 01:49:55 -0600 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Probably because of all the chemicals in the water turning the frogs gay.

But seriously, infringement is infringement.
edit on 3/9/2018 by TheBloodRed because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

[ɑts]https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/997/773/d24.jpg[/ɑts]

Everyone wants to take down Pepe and Infowars.

Too bad Pepe is for everyone. As is Infowars.

<< 1  2   >>

join