It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radical Islamic terror strikes Utah High School

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: JBurns

When will the left stop forcing children and law abiding citizens to kneel at the feet of terrorists and cowardly killers? When will they stop asking the GOOD PEOPLE of this country to live at the mercy of violent and deadly sociopathic killers?

Perhaps the left should start advocating for victims (and those of us who decided never to become victims) instead of their criminal/terrorist buddies.

I find it hilariously ironic that you're attempting to insult someone else's reading comprehension skills.

I'm not going to waste the time explaining to you the concept of paraphrasing.

You can Google it.

I bolded the part I summarized to help you in your quest for reading comprehension.

edit on 7-3-2018 by AScrubWhoDied because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

What if he did have an AR15, instead of a device that he built and did not work?
Just a simple question, I'm not wading in too deep on the gun control..too late for that.

edit on 7-3-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Here's the bit of your post I don't understand....

originally posted by: JBurns

When will the left stop forcing children and law abiding citizens to kneel at the feet of terrorists and cowardly killers? When will they stop asking the GOOD PEOPLE of this country to live at the mercy of violent and deadly sociopathic killers?

Perhaps the left should start advocating for victims (and those of us who decided never to become victims) instead of their criminal/terrorist buddies.

... How is the left causing this?

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Sent a pm. Its super easy and can make good money for you.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

I don’t think it’s a baseless claim. While hammers are used occasionally as tools of death in movies, I don’t think anyone would argue that guns are used a lot more. Hammers are most often thought of as tools for building and repairing things - guns are bad ass, so they are used much more in action movies.

The baseless claims that I was referencing was where you said that no one takes selfies with new tools like they do with new guns--on the contrary, I don't take selfies of me with my firearms, but I have with tools. THAT is what I was referencing, not anything about movies.

Hollywood, public schools, whomever. Social engineering IS a form of education, in my opinion. Using my example of attitudes towards gays, people learned that gay people are just people - they can be smart, they can be funny, they can be kind, they can be heroic - just like any other group of people. Of course there are people who still believe that gays are an abomination, or that they are a bunch of pedophiles, or that they are all mentally ill freaks (all very common misconceptions that most of the population had 30 or 40 years ago), but by and large, those attitudes are in the minority now.

You could also use the example of attitudes towards blacks, especially in the South. I believe laws forced people to treat blacks with equality, but social engineering over the years has changed many, many people’s attitudes towards blacks.

I would only agree to a point about social engineering, but you also have to understand that it works both ways and can do as much harm as it does good. During slavery, there were many people--I would hope a majority--who found the ownership and subjugating and abuse of other human beings sickening, but were conditioned to accept it as 'the way it is' because of social engineering. Eventually, though, those who found it sickening, in spite of social engineering, won out, only partially because of edict from a president (whose goal, BTW, was only to keep the Union in tact...emancipation was just a positive byproduct of that).

Or look at the demonization of immigrants and marijuana, especially in the early- to mid-20th Century--social engineering run amuck. Or the second-class treatment of women throughout much of America's history.

And now we're at the point in our history where we've been socially engineered to thing that government--and by extension, government entities--know best for our personal lives, our health, our retirement, our activity in the bedroom, our ability to marry, our option to own a home, our ability to borrow money for higher education, our ability to use natural resources on our own property, our ability to say "no" to people who want to do commerce with us, etc, etc.

It's much like, say, the infamous Presidential Edict--err, Executive Order--that is always applauded by the base of a party when their person is in office, then condemned when it's the other party holding the coveted Almighty Pen.

What I'm saying is that, while social engineering can be a good thing (which is a relatively subjective claim per topic), it has too much ability to be used in a negative way, so I cannot champion, at all, the mass engineering of people.

Just the opposite. I am afraid of an unintelligent public.

Then advocating for us to be told what to believe is not the way to go. Education and intelligence are not synonymous, and no one becomes intelligent by being told what to do or believe--allowing us to figure it out for ourselves and adapt knowledge to a problem to find a solution, that's the genesis of intelligence.

I believe that America has a gun culture that is different from other 1st world countries. I don’t think this culture is necessarily healthy, which is why we seem to have more mass shootings than any other country.

Actually, that's not necessarily the case. IF you are willing to look at the average amount of gun deaths attributable to mass shootings like what we see in schools (not the arbitrary four-or-more-injured-or-killed-no-matter-the-circumstances stats), then you would understand that we are looking at a tiny, tiny percentage of gun violence happening in these school shootings:

Notwithstanding the occasional multiple-fatality shooting that takes place at one of the 100,000 public schools across America, the nation’s schools are safe. Over the past quarter-century, on average about 10 students are slain in school shootings annually.

USA Today

So, when you consider that, on an annual average our nation experiences 10,000 non-suicide related instances of gun violence per year (not distinguishing between justified and unjustified violence), the average 10 students per year equates to exactly 0.1% of all gun violence. And when you consider the average discussed on another USA Today link (interactive and pretty nice), "about 1%" of all murders that happen are attributable to mass shootings. It also cites that there is about a 57% accuracy rate with FBI data because of incomplete or erroneous reporting, but when you consider that we're talking about 1% of all killings, that needle isn't going to move much with better accuracy.

Other countries have mental illness, other countries have guns, other countries have a lot of the same elements we have - the difference is their attitudes towards guns don’t seem to be the same as our attitudes towards guns. I advocate for changing those attitudes - not banning guns.

Most other countries, save for two (Mexico and Guatemala, from what I've heard although not actually researched yet) do not have a constitution right to own firearms, nor do they have a total of firearms that outnumber their population. If you consider that it is estimated that we have more than 350-million firearms in this counter, and there are "only" (term used very loosely) 10,000 annual incidents of non-suicide firearm violence, you are looking at a statistic that shows that only (term not used loosely at all this time) 0.00286% of firearms in the U.S. are used in violent ways against someone other than the gun owner--and again, that percentage does not discriminate between justified and unjustified uses of said firearms, meaning the illegal use of firearms in violence is even lower than that.

There are many, many other countries that have a much higher per-capita rate of gun violence than America. Just looking at the numbers and only doing so from the angle of firearm availability both do critical thinking on the topic a large injustice.

Personally, I think that our attitude concerning guns is playing out perfectly well when you look at the statistics. Just because a few psychopaths and emotionally infantile people who have access to guns do very bad things with them does not mean that access to the rest of the 99.99914% of firearms are not considered with a healthy attitude towards the weapons.

Thank you for a civil debate on the topic--I was hoping that you wouldn't take my response to you as being confrontational toward you individually.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

Paraphrasing doesn't utilize quotation marks, so thank you for not trying to explain something to me.

You didn't summarize, you used quotation marks.

Now, I'm not going to waste the time explaining to you the concept of quotation marks.

You can Google it.

Other than that, I'm not going to get into a silly debate with you concerning your misuse of quotation marks anymore, nor you lack of ability to comprehend the overall message in the OP.

Best regards, and thank you for your service.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
a reply to: JBurns

the state will just give him an A in chemistry class

Correction...got an "F" for failing to detonate:

“had the potential to cause significant injury or death” if it had detonated.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

He will have NONE OF THAT from you....some people are more into verbal politics than actual manual labour.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

I was taking at swipe at the idea of anything free zone signs.
As if anyone would reconsider murder due to them.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

For sure, a sign wont stop anything, well unless it's a stop sign..even then.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Sounds like it might be time for teachers to start making IEDs.

I'm told that the only effective defence against a bad guy with a weapon is a good guy with one too.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Could I have a pm too please? In my work we have to remove stumps a few times a year...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join