It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radical Islamic terror strikes Utah High School

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
An attempted bombing by an ISIL supporting terrorist in a Utah High School has thankfully failed to produce any injuries.

A teenager has been charged with bringing a homemade bomb into a Utah high school. Students spotted a backpack emitting smoke, prompting an evacuation of some 1,100 kids on Monday.

Following the discovery of the device at the Pine Valley High School in the city of St George, the school was evacuated for two hours while bomb squad officers swooped in to disarm it. Upon investigation, officers concluded the device “had the potential to cause significant injury or death” if it had detonated.

“I could smell a smoke smell and my friends actually saw it before I did,” 17-year-old Pine Valley student Jack Whalen told local media outlet KUTV.

www.rt.com...

So much for gun control, eh? Not only did this terrorist not use a firearm, but Utah has very lax gun laws (compared to other places that have been attacked) and it is very telling this individual still had no access to such a device.

“It was also determined that the male had been researching information and expressing interest in ISIS and promoting the organization,” police added. Hurricane City Police confirmed that the boy was a suspect in raising the Islamic State flag and that charges will be forthcoming.

Sadly, once again, the teachers and students were entirely at the mercy of this terrorist. Thank GOD he was incompetent. Otherwise, the teachers/students would've ONCE AGAIN had to sit there at the mercy of a deranged killer.

When will the left stop forcing children and law abiding citizens to kneel at the feet of terrorists and cowardly killers? When will they stop asking the GOOD PEOPLE of this country to live at the mercy of violent and deadly sociopathic killers?

Perhaps the left should start advocating for victims (and those of us who decided never to become victims) instead of their criminal/terrorist buddies.

edit on 3/7/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
We have a local GOP candidate that lost in the primary yesterday. He had gotten in trouble in college for building pipe bombs. He claims they were to blow out stumps....i think thats stupid. A good oak stump can make a table worth 10k or more.

Nonetheless, its had the topic of pipe bombs on folks minds here lately. It turns out they are incredibly cheap and easy to make.

BTW, the aforementioned GOP candidate was planning to blow out trees with a pipe bomb filled with tack and .22lr bullets. No one believed him.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

the state will just give him an A in chemistry class

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
So much for gun control, eh?

I fail to see what that has to do with the topic.

+24 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: JBurns
So much for gun control, eh?

I fail to see what that has to do with the topic.

?

In Florida recently 17 kids were killed by a gunman. It sparked off a heated debate where children were given front row to lead a national dialogue (or, at least be led to believe that is what they were doing...it felt more like political exploitation of traumatized children to me).

Nonetheless, the argument against instituting more gun control is that without guns, folks will find other ways to kill people in public places. The OP is making reference to this.

I know you knew this...but figure if you are gonna ask a silly question, ill go ahead and answer it.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Ah, sounds like a waste of perfectly good oak!

Nevertheless it is frightening at how easy IEDs apparently can be constructed. I am thankful this would-be bomber got it wrong, this time! But since no one was injured or killed, how likely is it Utah will lock this kid up and throw away the key? Very unlikely. IMO he could be a potential threat down the road, especially once he's exposed to the folks at con-college and has a chance to refine his skills

I personally would never think to waste perfectly good reloading supplies (or cleaners, if what I read was true) but there should be no doubt how easily bad actors & murderers can come up with these ideas

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

So much for gun control, eh? Not only did this terrorist not use a firearm, but Utah has very lax gun laws (compared to other places that have been attacked) and it is very telling this individual still had no access to such a device.

Are you saying gun control, even in small amounts, actually works?

Sadly, once again, the teachers and students were entirely at the mercy of this terrorist. Thank GOD he was incompetent. Otherwise, the teachers/students would've ONCE AGAIN had to sit there at the mercy of a deranged killer.

Every single one of us are at the mercy of others when we walk out of our doors, whether we have a sidearm or not.

When will the left stop forcing children and law abiding citizens to kneel at the feet of terrorists and cowardly killers? When will they stop asking the GOOD PEOPLE of this country to live at the mercy of violent and deadly sociopathic killers?

When will you guys stop making things up in order to push idiotic agendas? I'm a leftist and pro-2nd, yet I find myself shaking my head when I see people such as yourself say such stupid things.

It's no wonder I have a hard time getting through to fellow leftists about gun control when I have to account for horrible and ridiculous arguments such as yours.

You're not doing 2nd amendment supporters any favors. Please find a better way to communicate or just stop. You're not helping.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

it felt more like political exploitation of traumatized children to me

You and I both Texan

They started within 2-3 hours after the shooting. I doubt the decedents had even made it to the coroner's office yet

I couldn't put a word to it, but exploitation of traumtized children is precisely what happened

Otherwise, why not wait until the raw emotion/anger/shock/trauma faded before politicizing? The only reason NOT to wait is to exploit this raw emotion/anger/shock/trauma to political ends.

As far as I can tell (from talking to various folks), most others saw through the gun-control rhetoric of Parkland and recognized it instead for its exploitative intent

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Shoulda been a law to make schools bomb free zones.

I tell ya.

Next we need background checks to buy pipes.

It's for the children!

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I know you knew this...but figure if you are gonna ask a silly question, ill go ahead and answer it.

So more gun control would have affected this incident? Less gun control? I find the extrapolation to this silly.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

So more gun control would have affected this incident? Less gun control? I find the extrapolation to this silly.

Not to mention the OP did not make it very clear what they meant. It appears they actually may be stating gun control was a good thing.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It was pretty effing clear what the op meant.

Someone determined to kill will use whatever is available.

I would rather get shot than blown up.

Take a good look at what your creating.

A more deadly means of execution.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

He implies that arguing about gun control is missing the actual picture: why are kids hell bent on killing each other at school?

Me personally? If you have to choose between losing 17 kids to a gunman 10 times a year, or losing an entire wing of a school along with several dozen staff and students to a bombing....risk management makes that decision for you.

Its a ludicrous discussion to have, though. Because it ignores the cause.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Obviously we've got to do more to educate students about Islam. Promote more tolerance and diversity in schools by having mandatory classes on Islam, the Quran, and how submission to Islamic laws will make everyone safer.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Are you saying gun control, even in small amounts, actually works?

Works to what end? Prevents attacks? No. Prevents armed/credible/actual resistance from the intended victims? Sure, it does accomplish that.

Every single one of us are at the mercy of others when we walk out of our doors, whether we have a sidearm or not.

That's right. But with proper armament, sound judgement and proper situation awareness, that vulnerability can be mitigated or minimized. For instance, when in transitional spaces KEEP YOUR HEAD OF YOUR REAR END. This means, no cell phones, no chatting, no gazing, no sleep walking. Pay attention folks! Head on a swivel. Threats can be anywhere, and you should be ready to take decisive action to end any threat that crops up.

Not having a firearm ensures you're unable to present any sort of actual resistance/challenge to an attacker/killer. Having a firearm (with proper training/tools/attitude), while a far cry from a sure thing, provides you a credible/actual fighting chance. A chance you do not have otherwise.

An unarmed victim vs. an armed attacker is no match at all. An armed intended-victim vs. an armed attacker is 100% better odds (nothing is a sure thing)
edit on 3/7/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
But you could make the argument that if explosives were less regulated then he could have had more experience constructing bombs and then he would have been successful.

If this person had been constructing IEDs from childhood then this would have been a much different situation.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

And if this is ISIS related, it’s what would-be terrorists are trained to do - make home-made bombs. It’s the ISIS way. Has nothing to do with guns or gun control. There are plenty of non-ISIS people out there who prefer to use guns to do their damage.

Yes, we need to figure out why young people are hell-bent on killing others. But while we figure it out (and it could take YEARS, if not decades), I’m for making it a little harder for them to do it.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
So many people have short-sighted goals. They advocate treating the symptom while the underlying disease goes merrily along. Regardless of the choice to destruction in these cases, what was the underlying cause? Doesn't anyone screaming "for the children" ever ask themselves that terribly honest question? Is it difficult to answer, I bet it is. Especially when the answer may implicate them as failed parents.

As I see it there is a common thread in all these school shootings. We find out after the fact that the perpetrators were all bullied, ostracized, and marginalized in some way. And, who is doing this bullying and ostracizing? The students of the target school. And, who is ultimately responsible for these children who (we have been repeatedly told recently) are too immature to make their own decisions and will do stupid things.

Their parents....yes, you out there. Are your children involved in bullying others at school, online, via text, etc...?? Have you spoken to the teachers and administrators? Do they even know? Perhaps that is worth a real topic for a true "Town Hall" discussion on national TV.

Naaaah.... Must be the tools. Your children are angels and could never be party to such wickedness.

SMH

edit on 3/7/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

But you could make the argument that if explosives were less regulated then he could have had more experience constructing bombs and then he would have been successful.

No you couldn't.

Because the simple fact is both are heavily regulated. Hell there's even a fabulous agency for it called the BATFE.

Doesn't nothing to prevent it.

Doesn't nothing to fix the actual problem.

KIDS.
edit on 7-3-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join