It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S.S. Carl Vinson visits Da Nang, Vietnam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
A pretty symbolic visit to the same location as the first U.S. troops entered Vietnam at the start of that war.

Haven't been able to find any U.S. media coverage on this, so far, but a large number of Vietnamese YouTube coverage as well as this Link.

www.youtube.com...

What strikes me about this visit is while there's much debate on 'who would win' the largely unmentioned fact is China seems to be making similar mistakes as Japan once did. They've largely alienated their neighbors and created allies of the U.S., as a result.

That just might be the real advantage the U.S. has with both China and Russia....allies.

Just my opinion, though.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

It was built here in my back yard at Newport News Shipbuilding It comes into NAS Norfolk every few years for what ever repairs the regular crew can't handle at sea.
Osama Bin Laden went to his watery grave off its deck.
That same-sex also once hosted a college basketball game.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

It was built here in my back yard at Newport News Shipbuilding It comes into NAS Norfolk every few years for what ever repairs the regular crew can't handle at sea.

She still looks great. Getting a little long in the tooth, though...

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I try to post in every thread that talks about the U.S.S carl vinson.

Ever since the first time I heard the name I some how new that this vessel will play a roll in something important.

No idea what that is going to be.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
I try to post in every thread that talks about the U.S.S carl vinson.

Ever since the first time I heard the name I some how new that this vessel will play a roll in something important.

No idea what that is going to be.

Burying Osama didn't hurt.....

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Ummm...that must be quite a sight...I used to live in Delaware but never did make the time to visit Newport News...over there across the bay...Some beautiful country there around the Chesapeake...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Yeah the Chinese are having kittens over this visit apparently. One of the US's greatest strengths and greatest weaknesses is its short term memory. Hence the fact that we are willing to visit even after a bitter war that we lost.

Despite our recent history with Vietnam, they have centuries of history with China and the vast majority of it is not good from their perspective

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
A lot of Americans have kittens over rapprochement with Vietnam.

A group of fellow "gun nuts" I hang with on a fairly regular basis, I'm the baby of the bunch at 54, are Vietnam vets, and while most of them are semi-OK with it...there are three or four who are decidedly not OK with it, at all.

As with Cuba, it's time. Harsh memories do no one any good, it's time to make others--good ones. After all, England was once an enemy, now not so much.

China is making exactly the same mistake Japan made, and that North Korea is making. Alienating possible allies is never a good idea.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

Yeah the Chinese are having kittens over this visit apparently. One of the US's greatest strengths and greatest weaknesses is its short term memory. Hence the fact that we are willing to visit even after a bitter war that we lost.

Despite our recent history with Vietnam, they have centuries of history with China and the vast majority of it is not good from their perspective

Yet it is at least twenty years that Vietnam has been trying to 'normalize' relations with the U.S. and it's been the U.S. with the longer 'memory'. Go figure.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

She a Nimitz class. That's like the Timex of aircraft carriers takes a lickin keeps on tickin.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
My post here

That same-sex also once hosted a college basketball game

was supposed to say same deck not same sex. Too late to correct it.
I bet that confused a few people lol.

( I love when my tablet tries to second guess me)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

I can't argue with that.
🏊 I'm in the water by memorial day most years.

I see vessels of every kind here. Including submarines who have to surface to enter Hampton roads. Carriers, patrol boats, the sky is constantly busy with army helicopters and radar planes on patrol. The military let's you know they're here.
edit on 372018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Yet it is at least twenty years that Vietnam has been trying to 'normalize' relations with the U.S. and it's been the U.S. with the longer 'memory'. Go figure.

True, but thats because god forbid we piss off the Chicoms. Appeasing China has been a consistent policy for a few decades and it has not worked. Perhaps its time to go the other way

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

True, but thats because god forbid we piss off the Chicoms. Appeasing China has been a consistent policy for a few decades and it has not worked. Perhaps its time to go the other way

Good point. I forgot the Chinese appeasement factor.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I was in Da Nang, got a couple hats like Magnum wore.

The food was great. People were very nice.

The street people were annoying tho, begging for money.

It was a scam, bunch of kids led by a woman.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

The victor normally has the shorter memory, I think. Not trying to start a "who won Vietnam" argument but we can all agree from their perspective, they won. We tried to get pretty chummy with England shortly after the Revolution. That didn't work out too well *cough* 1812 *cough*. They were rather pissed for a long time.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

The victor normally has the shorter memory, I think. Not trying to start a "who won Vietnam" argument but we can all agree from their perspective, they won. We tried to get pretty chummy with England shortly after the Revolution. That didn't work out too well *cough* 1812 *cough*. They were rather pissed for a long time.

Good point!

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
A lot of Americans have kittens over rapprochement with Vietnam.

A group of fellow "gun nuts" I hang with on a fairly regular basis, I'm the baby of the bunch at 54, are Vietnam vets, and while most of them are semi-OK with it...there are three or four who are decidedly not OK with it, at all.

As with Cuba, it's time. Harsh memories do no one any good, it's time to make others--good ones. After all, England was once an enemy, now not so much.

China is making exactly the same mistake Japan made, and that North Korea is making. Alienating possible allies is never a good idea.

I posted this video on a Vietnamese Youtube site....just as a reminder....

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

join