It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italian F-35A Reaches IOC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I used google translate, but the original source is here.

THE F-35 AIRCRAFT OF THE 32ND STORMO IMPLEMENT THE NATIONAL AIR DEFENSE SYSTEM

From March 1, 2018, the JSF assets of the 32nd Wing of Amendola (FG) are officially part of the National Air Defense device as they are functionally included in the Air Space Surveillance Service (SSSA), a fundamental institutional task of the AM.

The achievement of this important objective is part of the broader development of the countless operational capabilities of the F-35 weapon system. The validation of this capacity was obtained through an intense and complex training of the crews and technical staff of the Department and following numerous tests carried out with positive results in full synergy and coordination with the other Armed Forces in charge of the Air Defense.

This testifies to the wide operational versatility of the weapon system, designed to perform many types of air operations, with the unique characteristic of being able to receive and redistribute an extraordinary flow of information essential for achieving information superiority, a nodal element of the complex aerial operations.

Thanks to the implementation of this operational capability, the F-35 multi - role firearm system will make a valuable contribution in ensuring the defense of national airspace from possible threats against the country and its citizens.

www.aeronautica.difesa.it... aspx

Amendola Air Base is about 2/3 down the Italian Peninsula on the east coast.

This means the F-35 is now operational with:
United States Air Force
United States Navy
United States Marine Core
Israeli Air Force
Italian Air Force

Who is next? I think RAF/RN? Norway? Japan?

(5 services)

Note that F-35A Block 3F (Final) was delivered not long ago with full flight envelope, full sensor fusion, full weapons, full capability.
edit on 7/3/18 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz

We won't be far behind. The Queen Elizabeth class will be commissioned fairly soon.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   

The Royal Netherlands Air Force (RNLAF; Dutch: Koninklijke Luchtmacht (KLu), "Royal Air Force") is awaiting final delivery of the first batch somewhere in 2019 they state on their website.

I do not know if they will be operational immediately or if that will take another year or so...

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

the F-35 multi - role firearm system will make a valuable contribution in ensuring the defense of national airspace from possible threats against the country and its citizens.

What possible threats has Italy now?

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

the F-35 multi - role firearm system will make a valuable contribution in ensuring the defense of national airspace from possible threats against the country and its citizens.

What possible threats has Italy now?

I know, huh? The threat of war mostly comes from arms build ups, but the antagonists will always tell you they are purely 'defensive' in nature, they were invited, they are preventing war, etc.

lulz

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Cohen and other organizers were eventually arrested by Burlington Police, and charged with disorderly conduct by noise. The protestors drove a truck with multiple speakers throughout Burlington — to allow people to hear what they say over 6,000 people in the F-35 flight path will hear multiple times a day.

link

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

The USMC thanks you for the latest assault carrier.

kidding! Mostly.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Both the RAF and RAAF are aiming for 2020 IOC.

At the same time they're declaring IOC, they're threatening to walk away.

www.defensenews.com...
edit on 3/7/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Both the RAF and RAAF are aiming for 2020 IOC.

At the same time they're declaring IOC, they're threatening to walk away.

www.defensenews.com...

I was just going to post this up. Its an interesting development given the election shakeup. The anti establishment party wants to spend the money on bulking up its cyberwarfare capacities.

If they do kill it, the fate of thee line would be interesting as well. I wonder of other purchasers could use the Leonardo production line to produce their air-frames? I would also be curious to see how much LockMart spent on that line themselves. They intended to purchase almost 100 and that included about 30B models which may have a ripple effect on the price for all of the B customers

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Defence spending in Italy in 2008 to 2017 has been slowly falling and is at 1.5% of GDP. Meanwhile, there is strain between nations within the EU, strain within NATO, strain between NATO and Russia. The United States is massively increasing its budget (3.3%), China is massively increasing its budget (1.9%), Russia is also massively increasing its budget (5.3% of GDP). Those are real arms build-ups.

Italy is a smaller power that is stick in the middle, albeit granted it has experienced some turmoil.

I don't know what the military posture is like in Italy. However, getting new equipment once in a while, having been planned since the program inception and before the aforementioned geopolitical difficulties, likening this to an "arms build-up" is a bit much.

a reply to: Zaphod58

I wonder if this will be like Canada scrapping the F-35? And since they currently have 124 Tornado's... wonder what they will do with them. The F-35s are already being delivered and many are probably in the production line at the moment. Retire the Tornado and replace it with a significantly truncated F-35 buy, then upgrade Eurofighters?

Anyway, investing in cyber and intelligence certainly makes sense.
edit on 8/3/18 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Italy’s new defense minister commits to F-35, butts heads with France

(snip)

Five Star officials promised last year to scrap Italy’s purchase of 90 F-35 fighters, but Trenta said the new government would not cut orders, even if it might stretch out its purchase plan.

(snip)

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Italian government praise for F-35 shows early doubts waning

Last month, a government source told Defense News Italy would buy six or seven aircraft in the next five years instead of the previous plan to buy around ten.

Tofolo’s statement took the positive appraisal of the F-35 one step further.

“We have talked about the F-35 for many years in Italy, often in a distorted way, whereas you often need to really know and evaluate information,” he said.

“The F-35 program is now moving, and is 20 years old, and contrary to what is often said it is an aircraft which surely has the benefit of optimum technology, maybe the best in the world at this time,” he added.

www.defensenews.com... ZGy9y2MzgGjrnClBGaG1OlHb8eEQHSg5Y

I think I'm about done with talking about the F-35. But just thought I would provide this update.

new topics

top topics

join