It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Air Force is putting 'tremendous emphasis' on preparing for war in space

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

There is a massive reliance on satellites by everyone. They are used for everything from communications, to navigation, to weather forecasts. If, hypothetically, we went to war with Russia, and they killed a huge chunk of our satellites, we'd be screwed so badly it wouldn't be funny. Even most of our weapons use satellites now.

In recent months they've begun training again for GPS denied battlefields, but until they train more and relearn how to do it, we're going to be vulnerable to satellite kills. We're a long way from resource battles in space.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

And when satellites are launched in pairs, with one performing missile defense? Or launch vehicles get large enough to launch armored satellites? Yes, we have a deployed ASAT weapon, but the point is that, as with every other field, the technology isn't standing still.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Hm.m.m.m.m. Well, Space is definitely the final frontier. I think if we are to control it, we need to build an infrastructure which would include outposts, bases, satellites, and maybe even colonies. It would be like the expansion into the Wild West all over again.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Hm.m.m.m.m. Well, Space is definitely the final frontier. I think if we are to control it, we need to build an infrastructure which would include outposts, bases, satellites, and maybe even colonies. It would be like the expansion into the Wild West all over again.

I propose we call the first Lunar colony Luna one.(gundam fan) and say sponsored by anaheim electronics. lol.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

And when satellites are launched in pairs, with one performing missile defense? Or launch vehicles get large enough to launch armored satellites? Yes, we have a deployed ASAT weapon, but the point is that, as with every other field, the technology isn't standing still.

Yeah, I suppose that the technology moves faster that we can develop build it. A.I. could be the answer but it could also be very dangerous.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: lostbook

I propose we call the first Lunar colony Luna one.(gundam fan) and say sponsored by anaheim electronics. lol.

Done and done! lol

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Eventually we will. We have to get the technology there first though.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

That's one of the reasons that people spend their lives following military developments. It's the ultimate chess game to see who can develop counters faster.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Nothing like that exists or will exist for a long time. Armored satellites will never exist, it will always be possible to generate an intercept vector at high enough relativistic speeds to defeat the armor.
Defeating missile defense satellites is easy. You just shoot more missiles at it. But satellite based missile defense would be insanly complex and basically not affordable anyway.
Doesnt mean there should be research and development of other ASAT solutions, but with SpaxeX solving the rapid, affordable replacement problem too there is no reason to panic whatsoever.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

That's one of the reasons that people spend their lives following military developments. It's the ultimate chess game to see who can develop counters faster.

What about 4-d printing? With this tech there wouldn't be a need spend so much time building the latest gadget. You could print it and let it grow itself. Of course, the would still probably be a R&D phase but I think it would streamline the process and cut down on development time.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Who said anything about panicking? But how many other things that we have now were talked about and dismissed as "that will never happen". But sure, it'll never happen.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

ohh they 'grow' things in space

3d printing or laser sintering is an old tech, people just have more access
ETA:

even if you had a spaceship with a 3d printer that could print ANYTHING you would still have to carry the mass along with you in materials so why not know what you need carry it and lose the other non needed weight. maybe have one for repairs but not make everything you need to live, what if it broke? cant print more parts

then again if you could do a mater-energy conversion i guess you would just need a super power source and your good to go.
edit on 7-3-2018 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-3-2018 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

originally posted by: rickymouse

I wonder if my house insurance will pay for damage a chunk will cause if it crashes through my roof?

If I remember correctly there isn't any house insurance policies that cover Space Debis Damage on the planet, no insurance company would pay out, however China are responsible for any damages their hardware causes.

Personally I think your insurance company should pay our for any accidental damage that they haven't specifically excluded on your policy....

Tell them it was a giant hailstone. If they ask where it is, it melted. Duh.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3

ohh they 'grow' things in space

3d printing or laser sintering is an old tech, people just have more access
ETA:

even if you had a spaceship with a 3d printer that could print ANYTHING you would still have to carry the mass along with you in materials so why not know what you need carry it and lose the other non needed weight. maybe have one for repairs but not make everything you need to live, what if it broke? cant print more parts

then again if you could do a mater-energy conversion i guess you would just need a super power source and your good to go.

*Cough*...Triangles *cough*

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

originally posted by: rickymouse

I wonder if my house insurance will pay for damage a chunk will cause if it crashes through my roof?

If I remember correctly there isn't any house insurance policies that cover Space Debis Damage on the planet, no insurance company would pay out, however China are responsible for any damages their hardware causes.

Personally I think your insurance company should pay our for any accidental damage that they haven't specifically excluded on your policy....

If my house was destroyed by part of a Chinese Space station, I would have a story to tell my friends for the rest of my life. My kids and grandkids would be telling their kids that their grandpas house was destroyed by the Chinese.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: mightmight
...but with SpaxeX solving the rapid, affordable replacement problem too there is no reason to panic whatsoever.

In this context I'm not sure how much that would help. If your military satellites get taken out at the start of a war, and you're super dependent on them, SpaceX isn't going to be able to launch replacements fast enough to make a difference in the conflict. Lacking that capability for even a few hours could be a devastating disadvantage. And that's assuming you had a bunch of replacement satellites already build and waiting to be launched.

originally posted by: penroc3

Not necessarily. Very little energy gets you a lot of mass if your hypothetical converter is at or near 100% efficient.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Wow. Very informative. Thanks!

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
We cant be sure there wont be a invasion from Andromeda stopping by tomorrow. Should we arm against that possibility as well?

We have to draw the line somewhere. I dont think investing in a contigency against satellites capable of defeating kinetic kill vehicles is quite neccessary at this point. There is like a thousand other more important things the US should focus its limited defense ressources on. Aegis BMD, GMD and who knows what on the black side will be covering ASAT until at least the 2030s...

edit on 7-3-2018 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: mightmight
We cant be sure there wont be a invasion from Andromeda stopping by tomorrow. Should we arm against that possibility as well?

We have to draw the line somewhere. I dont think investing in a contigency against satellites capable of defeating kinetic kill vehicles is quite neccessary at this point. There is like a thousand other more important things the US should focus its limited defense ressources on. Aegis BMD, GMD and who knows what on the black side will be covering ASAT until at least the 2030s...

It's probably a bunch of r&d on that side of things. Usually 20+ years ahead.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

That's one of the more asinine analogies I've heard in awhile. But sure,you're absolutely right, no need to worry about armored satellites or anything. Our ASAT capabilities are just fine.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join