It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Human Fossils Dated to 195,000 Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Bones had been unearthed in Ethiopia almost 40 years ago have been dated to over 195,000 years ago. Scientist believe that this fossil may be near the dawn of the Homo sapien species. The previous oldest fossil had been dated to be 160,000 years old.

story.news.yahoo.com
NEW YORK - A new analysis of bones unearthed nearly 40 years ago in Ethiopia has pushed the fossil record of modern humans back to nearly 200,000 years ago — perhaps close to the dawn of the species.

Researchers determined that the specimens are around 195,000 years old. Previously, the oldest known fossils of Homo sapiens were Ethiopian skulls dated to about 160,000 years ago.

Genetic studies estimate that Homo sapiens arose about 200,000 years ago, so the new research brings the fossil record more in line with that, said John Fleagle of Stony Brook University in New York, an author of the study.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Again we go back to the creationism versus evolution. Its pretty clear that humans evolved and the fossil records bear this out. As more is discovered, more is learned. To simply credit divine intervention to everything we cannot explain is a crutch or sorts. So humans as we know it made thier appearance over 200,000 years ago. Also of note, it appears that a more primitive line also existed near the homo sapiens. It is possible that the newly evolved groups lived alongside the earlier unevolved group. It would have made for an interesting dynamic for sure.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I don't know about creationism vs evolution when it comes to this (since I don't pay any attention to creationism at all), but this seems to be a running tend in archeology. Every few years they find a fossil that pushes back the age of man by tens of thousands of years. If I remember correctly, scientists once thought that man was only 60,000-80,000 years old. Now we've got 200,000. So who knows how old our species will end up being.

If anything, this gives more credibility to researchers like Graham Hanncock who claim there was a highly advanced ice-age civilization.

Oh, and yes this would mean humans co-existed on the planet with several other hominid species or thousands of years. At least four? Homo Neaderthalis, Homo Erectus, those Hobbit things, and one other...I forget.

[edit on 2/16/2005 by Flinx]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
It was already known that Homo sapiens co-existed with neanderthalensis and erectus and the recently discovered florensis and also heidelbergensis.
From what I understand of it, this does not make sapiens co-existant with anything it was already co-existant with.

The real interesting time is around 3 million years ago, on this diagram. You can see many species, even different genera, co-existing.

Of course, thats all based on whats known now. Months ago there was no florensis. And a few years ago there was no Kenyathropus platyops either.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
So let me get this straight. The oldest Adam's rib we can muster up is a mere 200,000 years old?

Oh for now.. so I guess we should stay tuned!

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
It was already known that Homo sapiens co-existed with neanderthalensis and erectus and the recently discovered florensis and also heidelbergensis.
From what I understand of it, this does not make sapiens co-existant with anything it was already co-existant with.

Oh yeah, it was Heidelbergensis that I was thinking of...

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I dont see how this is a Evolution vs Creationisum when creationist think man was created a little over 5000 years ago and early homo saipein fossels have allready beaten that before this discovery.

What it does do is paint a picture for Evolutionists of how much interaction there might of been between other homid species

new topics

top topics

join