It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Day is the 7th Day Sabbath?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

yes, I remember the parable...Pisa, is a town in Italy with a leaning tower built on sand....pizza is food.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Peace a pizza please. They were all bible thumpers when they built that town. Shows how many fake religious people this world has now, they read the bible day in & day out & still don't listen to it. Lol we all fakes, magic is fun.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ScatteredThirdAngel

Look at the calendar: Saturday is the 7th day of the week. But the sun worshipping pagans had 'it' switched to SUNday.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
The early Christians celebrated the day when Jesus was raised from the dead- "The Lord's day." Since it came after the seventh day, they called it "the eighth day of Creation" (which is why the number "eight" is applied to Jesus several times in the New Testament).

Justin Martyr, one of the very earliest Christian writers, published "The Dialogue with Trypho", in which he argues the Christian case against a Jewish spokesman. In this book, he acknowledges that the Christians do not observe the Jewish Sabbath, and justifies the failure. It must have been one of the many features of Jewish practice which the Gentile converts did not bother to pick up.

So the two key points are;
The early church did not observe Saturday.
The early church did celebrate Sunday.

The later transfer of the label "sabbath" from Saturday to Sunday was a verbal inaccuracy, but the point is not very important.

History says Christians kept the 7th Day Sabbath, originally, until they were slowly transferred to Sunday.

"The primitive Christians had a great veneration for the Sabbath, and spent the day in devotion and sermons. And it is not to be doubted but they derived this practice from the Apostles themselves, as appears by several scriptures to the purpose." "Dialogues on the Lord's Day," p. 189. London: 1701, By Dr. T.H. Morer (A Church of England divine).

"The Gentile Christians observed also the Sabbath," Gieseler's "Church History," Vol.1, ch. 2, par. 30, 93.

"It was the practice generally of the Easterne Churches; and some churches of the west...For in the Church of Millaine (Milan);...it seems the Saturday was held in a farre esteeme... Not that the Easterne Churches, or any of the rest which observed that day, were inclined to Iudaisme (Judaism); but that they came together on the Sabbath day, to worship Iesus (Jesus) Christ the Lord of the Sabbath." "History of the Sabbath" (original spelling retained), Part 2, par. 5, pp.73, 74. London: 1636. Dr. Heylyn.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deplorable
What day is actually Saturday? Do you think anyone's really been able to keep track of it? LOL

Strange that people actually know what day Christ resurrected, but we have no idea when the Sabbath is.

Mar 16:9  Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: SatansPride

It is said a thousands years to us is a day for god. Maybe the past 7 thousand years was a time for work; great pyramids, cities. It was all done pretty much by hand & long treaturous labor days. Maybe that is why we don't have much history about before then. Now we have so many tools we don't have as hard of work. These next thousand years will be our rest day, people chill on fones,computers,gaming consoles,tvs, etc. We have it easy compared to our ancestors & we haven't created as much as we could cause' god says it's chill time. Much easier to text on a computer than write on paper or send a messenger on a horse to deliver mail lol

The Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, teaches us that God worked six days, and rested the seventh day in creation week. There are no suggestions that indicate otherwise. Nothing suggests that the literal account of Genesis, was simply "spiritual" or else, the creation of the heavens, the earth, the sea, and all that in them is is simply "spiritual".

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Just one of the laws jesus said could be discarded.

Which is why Jews don’t believe in Christianity..

The OT repeatedly states “obey my laws”, “if anyone tells you you no longer must obey my laws. Don’t listen, obey my laws”..

Then jesus comes along and says “hey guys . I’m changing the laws.”

Where does Jesus teach that any of the 10 Commandments can be discarded? Jesus said He is Lord of the Sabbath, and He Himself did no secular work therein, but rather did work of blessing on the 7th Day Sabbath, instead of secular labor. How does this teach not to keep the Sabbath holy? It doesn't. It teaches us to do good on the Sabbath, and if we refrain from keeping the Sabbath holy, and following Jesus's design, then we refrain from doing good.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Just one of the laws jesus said could be discarded.

Which is why Jews don’t believe in Christianity..

The OT repeatedly states “obey my laws”, “if anyone tells you you no longer must obey my laws. Don’t listen, obey my laws”..

Every day is the sabath for christians.

Not exactly, Jesus said "I have a new covenant for those who choose me"
We are under the New covenant, the old laws still stand for those not in Christs covenant

Sorry to be picky but I think its important.

Please explain to me how it is possible to refrain from secular labor, from cleaning your house, etc. literally everyday, if the Sabbath is everyday for the Christians. Jesus Himself went about doing good on the Sabbath, and refrained from secular labor. If you aren't applying every single aspect of the Sabbath, you aren't keeping the Sabbath. It's like adultery. Just because you physically don't commit adultery, yet if you look upon a woman to lust after her in your heart, then you are committing adultery. You need to obey every part of that law to be able to keep it. So, tell me, do you keep every part of the Sabbath commandment as Jesus taught it each and every single day of the week?

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

On the Biblical lunar-solar calendar, each lunation (or lunar month) always begins with a New Moon day, which is in a class of worship day all by itself. Six work days follow on the second through seventh of the month. The seventh-day Sabbath always falls on the 8th, the 15th, the 22nd and the 29th of every lunar month.
Jews and the Sabbath

While it is true that the Jews today worship on a Saturday sabbath, this does not prove that it is the true Sabbath. They did not always worship on the Saturday sabbath. Jewish scholars are very clear that the original method of calendation was different from the modern calendar and that under intense persecution during the fourth century A.D., the Jews gave up their original lunar-solar calendar.

"Declaring the new month by observation of the new moon, and the new year by the arrival of spring, can only be done by the Sanhedrin. In the time of Hillell II [4th century C.E.], the last President of the Sanhedrin, the Romans prohibited this practice. Hillel II was therefore forced to institute his fixed calendar, thus in effect giving the Sanhedrin's advance approval to the calendars of all future years." ("The Jewish Calendar and Holidays (incl. Sabbath)": The Jewish Calendar; Changing the Calendar, www.torah.org, emphasis supplied.)

"The New Moon is still, and the Sabbath originally was, dependent upon the lunar cycle." (Universal Jewish Encyclopedia, p. 410)

Once the ancient lunar-solar calendar had been set aside, knowledge of the true Sabbath was lost with the acceptance of the pagan Julian calendar
The Lunar Sabbath

Old time Judea had special people declaring the New Moon and determining holy days. The old time Etruscans and Romans (with their 8 day weeks) had pontiffs and such determining holy days.

Roman dates were counted inclusively forward to the next of three principal days: the first of the month (the kalends), a day less than the middle of the month (the ides), and eight days—nine, counting inclusively—before this (the nones). The original calendar consisted of 10 months beginning in spring with March; winter was left as an unassigned span of days. These months ran for 38 nundinal cycles, each forming a kind of eight (i.e., "nine") day week ended by religious rituals and a public market. The winter period was then used to create January and February. The legendary early kings Romulus and Numa were traditionally credited with establishing this early fixed calendar, which bears traces of its origin as an observational lunar one. In particular, the kalends, nones, and ides seem to have derived from the first sighting of the crescent moon, the first-quarter moon, and the full moon respectively. The system ran well short of the solar year, and it needed constant intercalation to keep religious festivals and other activities in their proper seasons. For superstitious reasons, such intercalation occurred within the month of February even after it was no longer considered the last month.

After the establishment of the Roman Republic, years began to be dated by consulships and control over intercalation was granted to the pontifices, who eventually abused their power by lengthening years controlled by their political allies and shortening the years in their rivals' terms of office. Having won his war with Pompey, Caesar used his position as Rome's chief pontiff to enact a calendar reform in 46 BC,
Roman calendar

Sorry. Having spent so much time quoting stuff, I forgot what comments I intended to make. Something about eight day weeks and market days.

After the 30th, the first day of the week, it goes to the 1st, the 7th day of the week? Where do we see the Bible teach this? The Bible never presents this idea of a broken week cycle. Besides, according to the Scriptures, if you start on the first day of the week, and count 7 Sabbaths, (starting on the first day of the week) the day afterwards should be the 50th day. That is literally impossible with the lunar calender and/or solar-luni calendar.

Lev 23:15-16  And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:  (16)  Even unto the morrow after the seventh sabbath shall ye number fifty days; and ye shall offer a new meat offering unto the LORD.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScatteredThirdAngel
History says Christians kept the 7th Day Sabbath, originally, until they were slowly transferred to Sunday.

Justin Martyr, who was one of them (only second century), classes the sabbath along with circumcision as one of the things they were not doing, thus facing the criticisms of the Jews.

"The primitive Christians had a great veneration for the Sabbath, and spent the day in devotion and sermons. And it is not to be doubted but they derived this practice from the Apostles themselves, as appears by several scriptures to the purpose." "Dialogues on the Lord's Day," p. 189. London: 1701, By Dr. T.H. Morer (A Church of England divine).

This author is evidently using "sabbath"to mean "Sunday", following very common practice. That is shown by his title ("Lord's Day") and also by the reference to "several scriptures" about the practice of the Apostles. Any scriptures about the Apostles are talking about the Lord's day (e.g. John in Revelation). People who talk about the Sunday "sabbath" are not evidence of a Saturday sabbath.

I hope you appreciate that it doesn't matter anyway. God does not care. The ONLY thing that matters from the Christian viewpoint is the cross of Christ (Galatians ch6 v15).

edit on 7-3-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SatansPride

A)” god is time” is what’s known as something that sounds good and means nothing..

“God is tic tacs” see.. lol

B) Jews and definitely not Christians were not even remotely the first to notice that actions led to reactions..

Hell , actually in Christianity everything DOES NOT have an equal and opposite reaction.

Gods actions do not.. god intervening in events would throw off the equalibrium. I push an apple with X amount of force , but god pushes the apple a little as part of his plan.

God would not be pushed backward by the apple..

Obviously , since every action does have a reaction and there is no “god force” that science has to allow for..

It isn’t hard to see how people could and did figure that out themselves..

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Jesus taught that all the old laws could be abandoned..

He did not specify “all the laws but the Ten Commandments”..

In Christianity all of Christianities laws got rolled into “sin” and the only law that actually matters anymore is belief in jesus as the son of god and that he died for our sins.

All the old Jewish laws no longer applied to jesus’s Spiritual kingdom.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Please explain to me how it is possible to refrain from secular labor, from cleaning your house, etc. literally everyday, if the Sabbath is everyday for the Christians. Jesus Himself went about doing good on the Sabbath, and refrained from secular labor. If you aren't applying every single aspect of the Sabbath, you aren't keeping the Sabbath. It's like adultery. Just because you physically don't commit adultery, yet if you look upon a woman to lust after her in your heart, then you are committing adultery. You need to obey every part of that law to be able to keep it. So, tell me, do you keep every part of the Sabbath commandment as Jesus taught it each and every single day of the week?

Keep it holy, meaning put God first in your life.
I wasnt talking about work.
The sabath was about placing God first, not work, you are acting like a pharisee, bound by the law
Christianity is a spirit lead heart change from the inside, not religious laws and demands

Go read Galatians, no. listen to it read to you
You cant be a christian and be a Jew at the same time, its silly

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Keep it holy, meaning put God first in your life.
I wasnt talking about work.
The sabath was about placing God first, not work, you are acting like a pharisee, bound by the law
Christianity is a spirit lead heart change from the inside, not religious laws and demands

Go read Galatians, no. listen to it read to you
You cant be a christian and be a Jew at the same time, its silly

No, the Bible defines what keeping it holy. It means more than putting God first in your life. Keeping the Sabbath holy means refraining from secular labor therein. You cannot redefine what it means, for the Bible defines it, itself.

As for being bound to a law, if God is our Father, then we are to be bound by the laws of our Father's household. If He commands something, then we are to do it. Obeying the law of God the Father doesn't make me a Jew. It makes me a Christian.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Sorry you are so lost in religion.
I feel bad you have been lied to for so long and believe the lie.

I dont keep the sabath as I am not a Jew, if you so wish to do so, then please do.
I recommend you listen to Pauls letter to the Galatians on youtube
If you had the Holy Spirit within, you wouldnt need the law, That was Christs gift to His church, freedom from the law and the gift of the Holy Spirit to guide His children.
Why would we be given the Spirit if we needed the law still?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join