It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Will or the Illusion of freedom.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2018 @ 05:36 AM
link   
What is happening is free to appear as it does - no one can change what IS happening.
If (my) finger misses a letter on the keyboard and hits a letter that makes a spelling mistake then it is too late for it to be different.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Incandescent
a reply to: Abednego

In Western philosophy, "Free Will" is not a well-defined term.

Does "free" mean unrestricted, and does "will" mean action, volition or determination?

If we changed the term to mean "unrestricted volition" then I don't believe that exists. There are restrictions to the choices we can make when acting and as has been mentioned, this results in only a small sample of actual decisions we can realistically make.

If we changed the term into "unrestricted determination" then I would agree that it exists. Many people throughout history and some living today have been able to effect positive change into their lives despite going through suffering and turmoil. Such stern internal determination was able to triumph over such extraordinary external pressures.

Yes, and with that in mind, it makes some old sayings ring true.

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela

www.biographyonline.net...

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Free will for free? Sure..

But free will as far as logic goes?

Sure you can "feel" free.. but then it begins to break down after that.. in terms of making choices we are restricted to the environment we are currently residing in..

We couldnt just say.. pick up all our belongings and move in a split second.. we have to adapt to our surroundings in terms of ergonomics and logistics.. we are also restricted based on how many things we can carry.. and our strength limits what we can move with our body..

This means that freewill is an act of determination.. means we have to be with it instead of without it.. Temperance is key here..

Now we ask the miraculous question..
If I could litterally do anything as a wish or whim.. wouldnt that mean I have Free will? In the truest sense of the word Free sure that would probably be free will..

What then would the restrictions be on it? Maybe the Dao.. or maybe the furthest rewches of nihilism.. which would be questing the notion of deleting everything in the entire causm of existence!

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abednego
Does free will really exist or is just an illusion of freedom?
Do you really think you can do whatever you want? or is just the illusion of freedom of choosing between so many options?

Are we really free to choose our path? or our lives are already defined by a set of choices that, in the end will get us to the same place no matter what we choose?

Yes you have free will but once you've made a choice it has consequences. So in a way your choices are constrained by past choices, that is what gives the appearance of destiny.

So if you want to make a choice that is against the grain of your past choices there are more serious consequences to be paid and most people are not willing to pay that high of a price so they make the easy choices.

Sowing and reaping.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SkeptiSchism

If you are in between a fire and a cliff , do you have a choice to get burned or jump off??

Or does the situation dictate what you will do??

If you don’t have a choice in that situation, then do we really have a choice in any situation and are just a slave to our options??

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Yeah but we can expand our options as we go further and further into the future..

Edit: But yeah I agree there are certain traps to Freewill..
Whether your trying to please other people.. or are forced to do something..
edit on 11-3-2018 by Boundless1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Is the answer in following Buddha's way, that being, leave behind everyone, including your wife and children (not caring how they will feed themselves) and go forth to your individualistic freedom? Is that freedom? How can you one walk away from those that depend upon you? I don't get it...the pursuit of freedom at the expense of others. Or, an I interpreting Buddah's quest wrong?

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I'm not an expert on Buddhism but I do know a moderate amount about it.

I believe what you stated goes against the Buddha's teachings because it involves refraining from loving-kindness which is an ideal to strive for in Buddhism. The Buddha would definitely not encourage parents to abandon their duty as parents to pursue personal enlightenment. He would rather you nurture and raise them until they are adults WHILST pursuing enlightenment at the same time. If you raise the children properly, your personal journey should allow you to fulfil your role as parent in their childhood and in their adulthood as well.

edit on 12-3-2018 by Incandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I completely agree!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join