It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Is Willing to Discuss Giving Up Nuclear Weapons, South Says

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Peace would be considerably cheaper.

It would be for us....

China and South Korea on the other hand are scared of a possible refugee crisis.

China has never really loved the idea of North Korea and its regime rather than humored it to protect itself.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: nwtrucker

a reply to: CriticalStinker

Some parts of history surprise us all. What would be the harm of humoring it?

It the fabrication of history I have trouble with.

"North" Koreans developed nukes to deter the uS military from taking their country, too.

Not like theres any precedent for that , at all.

Keep up with your avoiding the point? Not hard at all.

Typical historical spin.

NK could have been taken by the U.S. all the way back to the 1950s. NK's deterrence has always been China, itself.

Therefore, they've never needed nukes as a deterrent. Rather obvious,....

Rewriting history again? "Back when", it was the Chinese and Russians intervened in Korea forcing a stalemate. Same thing happened in Vietnam, and Syria too.

Try and keep up.

Rather easy 'keeping up' with your avoiding the point.

NK has had, and only survived, due to Chinese and Soviet support. Plenty of built in deterrence from both nations.

China to this day. Plenty of deterrence. NK never needed nukes for 'deterrence'.

Try addressing the point, for a change.

edit on 6-3-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Ummm...this is good news...

It's also good to have a healthy level of skepticism...

To start off negotiations with talks of denuclearization is an extremely positive step...
This announcement makes me realize how much behind the scenes negotiating must have been ongoing in order to reach this announcement...

I'm sure this was probably a trifecta of negotiators pitted against the North Koreans...this trifecta being the U.S....South Korea...and China...I'm also sure that this last round of sanctions...to include interdictions of all shipping etc...played a large part as well...

...Here's to hoping this effort is met by serious consideration that bears fruit...this is very good news...

I remain skeptical...but hopeful as well...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: HiMyNameIsCal

Thats the ticket. Thoes things cost nothing when compared to millions of newly educated and free people. Nothing more profitable than freedom!

Great idea SaturnFX

Japan model.
Break them out of their tyrannical regime
invest $$$ and maybe get some sweet trade deals going with the new government
sit back and watch the pheonix arise from the ashes

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

I remain skeptical...but hopeful as well...

As do I.

No harm in humoring the talks and being hopeful. What do we have to lose? (trillions of dollars if diplomacy doesn't work).

I think it's also possible there may be a genuine desire for North Korea to have lights everywhere in the country, not just the capital haha.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
North Korea is not a ....'prize', it's a deficit,. A country that would, if liberated, need a lot of $ infusion and food along with rebuilding as we did in the past under the Marshal plan. In 1948 it cost us $13 billion dollars. Substantially more now.... about $ 130 billion in todays dollars. Peace would be considerably cheaper.

Ummm...and governments and corporations the world round are rubbing their hands together and salivating at the prospect of...modernizing them...

Lots of profit potential there...and not just in mining...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Who knows?

We will just have to see if it pans out.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
They've got to think ahead. Would the combined countries be communist, a republic or something in between. Un may give up nukes but will he give up his absolute power? Would there be a sharing of leadership duties between the North and South leaders afterwards? If not and a democratic republic ensues, would Un be given amnesty for any crimes discovered after the merger? Lots of questions need succinct answers.

Myself, I believe Un would make a great Wal-Mart greeter. Or, maybe Dennis Rodman's houseboy.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Their demands will be so great and they will give nothing in return.

As usual.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

originally posted by: Plotus
North Korea is not a ....'prize', it's a deficit,. A country that would, if liberated, need a lot of $ infusion and food along with rebuilding as we did in the past under the Marshal plan. In 1948 it cost us $13 billion dollars. Substantially more now.... about $ 130 billion in todays dollars. Peace would be considerably cheaper.

Ummm...and governments and corporations the world round are rubbing their hands together and salivating at the prospect of...modernizing them...

Lots of profit potential there...and not just in mining...

YouSir
ummm...YouSir, are correct.

Perhaps his sisters impact on the national stage might have had a hand? Perhaps shes a bit more "modern" then her brother and gave him words of advice.

Can you imagine? And this would be aimed at as a Trump victory as well.

If they give up their Nuclear weapons for a security pact that insures the regimes survival, then I'm all for it. This way, they can get their people some help, its the best chance their is and I wouldn't push it.

Any issues and problems not nuclear related can be ironed out in time through gradual change.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   
"Let's 'talk' while we coast over the finish line and complete our nuclear missile program."

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
My main question is will leftists give Trump any credit for this or will they somehow credit Obama?

Seeing as Trump is incapable of anything positive in their eye's I'd say the latter. It's amazing what a backbone can achieve...

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

You're 'point' was that I 'typically spin history'.

The uS military occupies Korea thousands of miles from home. Thats fact, not 'spin'.

US military Threatens the rest of the Korean Peninsula, every damn day.

The people up north developed their own nuclear deterrent to defend their homeland.

Spin that, again?

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

The uS military occupies Korea thousands of miles from home. Thats fact, not 'spin'.

The people up north developed their own nuclear deterrent to defend their homeland.

Spin that, again?

Yup, we've been sitting down there for 65 years preparing to invade the North. We just haven't quite got our pieces in the right place yet, but our intention the whole time has definitely been to eventually invade the North...

We're there to defend the South. Get a clue.
edit on 6 3 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Spin that, again?

You do but that wasn't the point. The point is what I stated in the last post. Actual deterrence. You know it and avoid it yet again.

(post by intrptr removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Spin that, again?

You do but that wasn't the point. The point is what I stated in the last post. Actual deterrence. You know it and avoid it yet again.

"Is North Korea willing to abandon its nuclear ambitions", is the Topic.

I already answered, that .

No...

obviously.

Try and stay on topic.

No point though debating even that with the warmongers here, they have nothing better to do apparently.

I do.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Spin that, again?

"Is North Korea willing to abandon its nuclear ambitions", is the Topic.

I already answered, that .

No...

obviously.

Try and stay on topic.

No point though debating even that with the warmongers here, they have nothing better to do apparently.

I do.

Yet you post back....
That's fine. I didn't think you'd have a proper response to the point, in any event. You merely confirm it....

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
North Korea is buying time. They're worried now that the Olympics are over the US might do a pre-emptive strike.

Satellite indicates that their weapons production plants are fully operational, so he's pretending that he's willing to denuclearize to buy more time to build more weapons and allow his scientists to create solid fueled missiles.

We are STUPID to play this game but he knows we have to. If we hit them during "peace negotiations" then he will win the public relations opinion with his communist allies.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: xstealth
North Korea is buying time. They're worried now that the Olympics are over the US might do a pre-emptive strike.

Satellite indicates that their weapons production plants are fully operational, so he's pretending that he's willing to denuclearize to buy more time to build more weapons and allow his scientists to create solid fueled missiles.

We are STUPID to play this game but he knows we have to. If we hit them during "peace negotiations" then he will win the public relations opinion with his communist allies.

That's pretty much the way I'm seeing it. Time will tell...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join