It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Is Willing to Discuss Giving Up Nuclear Weapons, South Says

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, has told South Korean envoys that his country is willing to begin negotiations with the United States on abandoning its nuclear weapons and that it would suspend all nuclear and missile tests while it is engaged in such talks, South Korean officials said on Tuesday.

During the envoys’ two-day visit to Pyongyang, the North’s capital, which ended on Tuesday, the two Koreas also agreed to hold a summit meeting between Mr. Kim and President Moon Jae-in of South Korea on the countries’ border in late April, Mr. Moon’s office said in a statement.

North Korea Is Willing to Discuss Giving Up Nuclear Weapons, South Says

Well it appears the North is willing to discuss abandoning its nuclear ambitions.

While they often engage in tricks or games to achieve their agenda, it's rare that they hold direct talks of this nature.

Perhaps it's a ploy to buy some time and get some of these sanctions lifted. But this is definitely interesting given the very positive language we've already seen.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
We have heard this before from North Korea. It’s getting old and I don’t believe anything they say. More likely they are looking for weak leaders to buy in to their BS and have them be sympathetic to lifting or at least lessening sanctions.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I gotta admit this caught me off guard when I saw this morning.

I wonder what has changed.

Were the Winter Olympics that good?

NK needs to be brought into the modern era, soon the two Koreas will combine, a non-korean will never be a gaming champion again.

So it is written :p
edit on 6-3-2018 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
We have heard this before from North Korea. It’s getting old and I don’t believe anything they say. More likely they are looking for weak leaders to buy in to their BS and have them be sympathetic to lifting or at least lessening sanctions.

If the proof is in the pudding and they allow inspectors, why not give it a try.

It's almost sounds like your opinion is war is imminent and the only option.
edit on 6-3-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I gotta admit this caught me off guard when I saw this morning.

I wonder what has changed.

Were the Winter Olympics that good?

While I personally think strict sanctions play a large role, I suppose it's possible his sister came back wanting to have many of the advances the south has.

It's rare they leave their hermit kingdom, although Un had gone to private school abroad and tried traveling with a fake passport.

It must get old living in a country where electric lights are a luxury.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Well it appears the North is willing to discuss abandoning its nuclear ambitions.

Down the road this becomes, hey, I thought they said they would be willing to give up their self defense!

Not at all.

Nice try though.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   
If it's true, perhaps sufficient time has passed since the bellicose flourishes and rhetoric. And it's been allowed to cool and evaporate so as not appear for either to have lost face. Kim would not, nor would President Trump have to be served a dinner of 'Crow' This appears good news

Perhaps a seven year peace agreement ?

edit on 6-3-2018 by Plotus because: Zyzzx road, the playground of the Gods.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Not at all.

Nice try though.

Eh, we're all skeptical.

But I don't think anything is more dangerous than two antsy parties with tons of firepower at their disposal with no channel of communication.

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to see where it goes.

Some parts of history surprise us all. What would be the harm of humoring it?
edit on 6-3-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

It the fabrication of history I have trouble with.

"North" Koreans developed nukes to deter the uS military from taking their country, too.

Not like theres any precedent for that , at all.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Indeed....!

Steel and aluminum tariffs will reduce China's GDP, and perhaps burden their economic wherewithal and make hobby projects less sustainable as providers to North Korea.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Way to go rocket boy! I guess the idea of waiting around to be made an atomic example of is finally losing its appeal.

Laser weapons are the future any way.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

"North" Koreans developed nukes to deter the uS military from taking their country, too.

Eventually the Soviet Union went broke trying to do the same thing.

I'm sure there was similar skepticism that would end peacefully before the late eighties.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   
We should carpet bomb the entire north korean country with open access untracable tablets, smart phones, ipads, etc. full unfettered internet access. just millions of em.

then let the north korean citizens handle it themselves once they get info on the real world

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
We should carpet bomb the entire north korean country with open access untracable tablets, smart phones, ipads, etc. full unfettered internet access. just millions of em.

then let the north korean citizens handle it themselves once they get info on the real world

What a creative idea. While I doubt that would happen, with the price of tablets and satellite internet, I doubt it would cost more than conventional bombs.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Typical historical spin.

NK could have been taken by the U.S. all the way back to the 1950s. NK's deterrence has always been China, itself.

Therefore, they've never needed nukes as a deterrent. Rather obvious,....

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Eventually the Soviet Union went broke trying to do the same thing.

They went broke trying to keep up.

The uS will eventually go broke too.

We can't keep up with ourself, lol.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
If it's true, perhaps sufficient time has passed since the bellicose flourishes and rhetoric. And allowed to cool and evaporate so to not appear for either to lose face. Kim would not, nor would President Trump have to be served a dinner of 'Crow' This appears good news

Perhaps a seven year peace agreement ?

Rather not. kicking the can down the road...not to mention indoctrinating yet another generation of north koreans through propaganda, starvation, and complete isolation.

I genuinely am concerned about NK simply because if you look to their southern border, you can see the greatness they can be with liberty. Is it the west's job to help them get to there? well, thats a debatable topic, but by themselves, I don't think it will ever happen.

There are times I wish we were like the hippys claim and that we do rush in at a drop of a hat and take out dictators who annoy us....sadly we don't. (well, typically...Dubya broke the mold there, but I wish he would have aimed at NK vs Iraq)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Typical historical spin.

NK could have been taken by the U.S. all the way back to the 1950s. NK's deterrence has always been China, itself.

Therefore, they've never needed nukes as a deterrent. Rather obvious,....

Rewriting history again? "Back when", it was the Chinese and Russians intervened in Korea forcing a stalemate. Same thing happened in Vietnam, and Syria too.

Try and keep up.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Thats the ticket. Thoes things cost nothing when compared to millions of newly educated and free people. Nothing more profitable than freedom!

Great idea SaturnFX

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   
North Korea is not a ....'prize', it's a deficit,. A country that would, if liberated, need a lot of $ infusion and food along with rebuilding as we did in the past under the Marshal plan. In 1948 it cost us $13 billion dollars. Substantially more now.... about $ 130 billion in todays dollars. Peace would be considerably cheaper.
edit on 6-3-2018 by Plotus because: Poooooffff.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join