It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The USS Lexington has been found

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Eh, that one was my bad. I was doing a couple things at once and wasn't paying attention. That's what happens when work plays games and we have to fix them.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I actually think it's a Wildcat on second look. It's just missing a panel on the back that gives it the impression of multi-place and not single-seater.

Look at the wing join and the Felix with kill markings!

ETA: just think! Butch O'Hare or Jimmy Thatch could have flown that actual plane at one time (VF-3, Lex)! Amazing!

edit on 5-3-2018 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I think you're right on the Wildcat. Amazing condition sitting down there.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

that looks more like a Buffalo, Zaph. Did you mix up a photo?

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

No, I had to straighten out some crap with our shipper because our planner was being stupid, so was trying to talk to our shipper, fix our Qualcomm, and post the pic at pretty much the same time. It's a Wildcat.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Yep, you're right. That gap in the cowling threw me.

I recall reading somewhere, can not for the life of me recall where, that Lexington still had aboard her a buffalo or two, or maybe that was the Saratoga. It's been years since I read that...

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

There should be a record of that somewhere...unless they went down with her. That'd be pretty darned cool, especially if either of them were still alive.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Saratoga had the ones that wound up at Midway. They were originally heading to Wake, and were diverted to Midway instead.

It always shocks the hell out of me to read about aces in the Buffalo. The Finnish Air Force produced 36 aces, one of who had 39 kills in the Buffalo.
edit on 3/5/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

That amazes me, as well. Considering just how poorly everyone else in the things faired.

But then, some folks have a bad habit of underestimating the Finns...oh, hi, Russia.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

duh. Why do you think the Japanese put 'Finn-ish him!" in their video games!

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

The Finnish Buffaloes are just rght time, right place. Cold weather against the early Soviet AF who was still flying I-15's and I-16's, it compared pretty favourably. Performance trailed off as the opposition got newer aircraft.

Similar to the much maligned P-39. Did great work down low and as a strike fighter, but was a dog with altitude. Could turn inside a Bf-109 down low, etc. Soviets couldn't get enough of them, while everyone else were put off by the lack of turbo.

Speaking of right time, eight place, even the P-38 which was considered a dog up at altitude in the ETO, but great down low -- while in the Pacific, it was great up high and vulnerable down low. Guys in the ETO hated the Allisons throwing rods, blowing turbochargers at altitude, etc. Guys in the Pacific couldn't transition to the P-38 fast enough. Made it an easy decision to start sending them all to General Kenney and send the Jugs and Mustangs to the ETO.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert
Planes still had the meatball in the roundels.

I wish I had the money to go chase deep sea wrecks or finance a giant albatross of a space program. What a blast he must be having.

They aren't using their own money.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Given Paul Allens wealth, as in lots, as in loaded, and his passion for all things maritime and aviation related, especially from that era, I think it likely that at least a share of the money used was his.

But neither here, nor there, the find is incredibly important. As with the finds of Yamato, Yorktown, and Bizmark, the finds shed light on history, that words just can't.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Old stock footage made before the Lexington sank...

SINKING OF US AIRCRAFT CARRIER LEXINGTON

L/S of the aircraft carrier ship Lexington after being hit during battle of the Coral Sea. Smoke gushes from her decks and she lists badly. Internal explosion finishes her off and all the crew have abandoned ship. Oregon, United States of America. Various shots of survivors of the Lexington. Nice shots of the seven Patten brothers arrive home in Portland and being greeted at the railway station by their father, General Patton. FILM ID:1332.09

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

That last video is of CV-16. Wrong Lexington, but cool nonetheless.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Belay my last as we use to say at sea...

Thanks for the heads up.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Famous last words.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Some more pics. The aircraft look in remarkable condition.

Great find,

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
This was cool. They actually scuttled Lex, because of the damage. The USS Phelps fired five torpedoes, two turned out to be duds. This apparently is one of them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join